Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Down hidden paths and secret alleys ...

Come with me to where we've never ventured
before, down hidden paths and secret alleys
where the magic hides. These are the places
that are the most revered in early morning strolls.
No showy flowers, but we'll peak into places
where garden angels rest after busy nights of
helping plants to grow. We're walking quietly to
not disturb them ...

We'll start where dancing frogs leap to guard the boy David's modesty ...

Past an angel shyly keeping watch ...

A peek into the empty greenhouse to see if the dogs cornered and wrestled with any critters last night ...

Past the sign that my four year old great-grandson has memorized, but doesn't keep, and that's okay :-) It's the first thing he runs to see and "read" when he comes over ...

Mexican masks rise to greet us ...

Is anything nesting the bird house gourds yet?

The curly willow keeps watch over a back corner ...

We pass back lit grasses ...

And come back into the morning light to start the day ...

More often than not it's the little nooks and crannies which receive the least attention that I enjoy the most. Hope you do too.

Comments (15)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

As usual everything is pretty. I like grasses. Which do the best for you?
    I have 4 different daylilies blooming today.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kathy! Most of the grasses are off
    Lowes sale racks and new for me this year. That's
    Red buttons fountain grass in the photo, also
    coming along is ruby grass and dwarf fountain grass.
    I just snagged some pink muhly a couple of days
    ago.

What is going to remain a favorite I think is the bunny
    tail grass which I've had a few years, but
    didn't appreciate until I moved it to a full sun area.
    It stays small and blooms until frost. It's already
    putting up blooms.

I'll start some for you. It would
    do great in your new back yard sunny
    area.

You're going to post pictures of your blooming daylilies, right? :-)

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

So peaceful roselee. Thanks for sharing. And yes, plantmaven, pics of your daylilies please.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Oooooooooh, I like the look of the bunny tail grass. Thanks!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Sandi! Plantmaven Kathy just posted pictures of her daylilies on another thread in this forum :-)

Kathy, I forgot to mention Mexican feather grass. It's drought tolerating like the bunny tail and would grow great in your sunny area. Ruby grass is another that's said to be very drought tolerant. It's new for me this year, but I've heard good things about it and it's already starting to bloom.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Nice, Roselee. Is your Rabbit tail grass Pennisetum alopecuroides "Hameln"? If so, how tall does it get? I have it in a pot but is has not performed well for me. I wonder if it is because it prefers to be in the ground....

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Omar! I misnamed my bunny grass. From what I can find online it's Little Bunny Dwarf Fountain, aka Grass Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Little Bunny'. Mine gets about a foot tall .

The "Hamein" is the dwarf fountain grass that I'm trying for the first time this year. I divided each of the three big full pots into four pieces last winter (with a saw) and it hasn't done much yet. It's in the ground and in pots. Are your pots in full sun? If it doesn't do well I'm replacing it with the Pink muhly which I'm holding in reserve.

Does anyone know when Pink muhly blooms? I know it's late fall, but how late?

Here is a link that might be useful: Little bunny dwarf fountain grass ... Latin names are best, but I rarely remember them

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

Enjoyed the stroll, thanks for sharing.

• rock_oak_deer
    10 years ago

Very pretty as usual. My pink muhly began blooming in mid-October last year and peaked in early November.

Ruby Crystals grass has turned into a pest. It is pretty when it blooms but reseeds in the pathways instead of the garden. I pulled it out of the front yard a year ago and it is still popping up.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynnmarie, glad you enjoyed the stroll ...:-) Thank you for letting me know.

Shirley, I appreciate the tip on Ruby crystals grass. That's good to know for those who might be considering it.

And it's helpful to know when Pink muhly blooms so one can plan to have something else of interest in the area in the meantime. Thank you.

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Thanks Roselee, I enjoyed the 'Behind the Scenes' tour. In the pot, in front of the curly willow, what is the plant with the round, white veined leaves? I really like that.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim, the plant is Aristolochia fimbriata (White Veined Hardy Dutchman's Pipe). I have it trailing out of almost every pot. Not only is it a beautiful tropical looking plant that looks great spilling out of pots, but the Pipevine swallowtail butterflies that use it as a caterpillar food source are beautiful too. It has large fibrous roots that hold water so it isn't prone to wilting until the soil is gets quite dry. I'll be saving seeds if you want some. Let me know. It's already blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aristolochia fimbriata ...

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Really beautiful post. I loved the prose as much as the posies! Great pics.

Thanks for the link on the grasses. It's a keeper!

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Nice walk, Roselee. I especially like your Hameln. Somehow mine disappeared, but I'll replace it eventually. I also enjoy my Bunny Tails. Thank you for taking time to share. Lou

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Yes, Roselee, I would like some seeds. thank you.
    Jim

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!