Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Color combos -- planned and not

While on the morning stroll I noticed some nice plant
and color combinations. Sometimes they are
planned. Sometimes they just
happen.

I planned the Hopi red amaranth and cape mallow. The larkspur plants itself every year ...

When I researched Red buttons fountain grass
there was a suggestion to combine it with
Purple conflower so I
did ...

Omar told me that Purple shamrock would do well
if planted in the ground and WOW -- it really took
off ...

The columbines are finishing up. Pretend the dark
red day lily buds are open :-) The rusty toned girl
goes well here. It's one of several pieces of yard
art loaned by a very dear friend who is anticipating a possible
move ...

You didn't know I had chickens? ;-) Now I do thanks
to my friend ...

I plugged up the hole in the tail concrete container
so the reed would grow in it ...

Newly transplanted Manfreda macho mocha
is blooming, but the seeds are sterile since it is
thought to be a natural cross of manfreda and
agave. I painted the rim of the pot to match the manfreda ...

It was hoped that Pretoria canna in the pot would pick
up the colors of Bright edge yucca in the
foreground ...

I mentioned on the vine thread that even with all
the excellent suggestions for a vine I suddenly had
the idea to plant a red yucca in the tower. My focus is
to do as little maintanence on the tower as possible.
The pot was taken out and the soil mounded up for
good drainage. Do you think the flower stalks will fill the tower as high and wide as I hope? ...

The garden is always full of surprises. Most of them are good :-)

This post was edited by roselee on Mon, May 13, 13 at 21:16

Comments (13)

• zitro_joe
    10 years ago

Stunning, as always.
    ...I sent you an email.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I was looking at some red yucca at Mia's restaurant yesterday. They were very full. But the blooms fanned out. Which they probably won't be able to do in the tower.

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Very impressive, Roselee. I like your chickens, and the reeds really draw the eye. It's like a live column.

I don't know if red yuccas will bloom in captivity. Ha!

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joe, thanks. I just got it.

Kathy and Jim, I'm hoping they can figure it out on their own, but if not I'm gonna' help 'um break out of jail :-)

I'm thinking they will be like red rockets coming out the sides. They'll have full sun so we'll see. When something comes to my mind I just gotta' try it. Stay tuned.

This post was edited by roselee on Sat, May 11, 13 at 22:48

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

I like the chickens too. Such a well behaved breed. They wont eat your plants or poop on your chairs.

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Omar, I'm so glad to hear that. I've got some other chickens she gave me still locked up in the greenhouse until I saw how these behaved! :-)

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

WOW!!! So creative and lovely! INSPIRING!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Looking at these pics of such lovely plants definitely gives me zone envy, Roselee. Larkspurs are such happy little plants and mine are just now beginning to bloom. I must work on patience. I, too, like the chickens. The placement of your yard art so enhances your garden, and gives me ideas. Keep posting !!!

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

I really like how the blue in the flowers matches the paint color exactly. Did you take a flower to the paint store for matching? I've read lots of articles about what colors and textures go together and what doesn't, but it is all greek to me. You seem to have an eye for it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carrie and Lynmarie, thanks you much for your nice comments. Lynmarie, I don't want to say how many times I painted that trellis to get the blue right. I often buy returned paint for a couple of dollars a can and try to mix my own colors by trial and error. Lots of trial and errors ... lol

The red daylilies opened ...

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

Hi Roselee: I clicked over from the Florida Forum to see what's growing in Texas. Love looking at your garden pictures...and then looking again!

In the pic that features the Manfreda there's a lush background plant with red flowers. What is it? I'm guessing (hoping?) it's a red shrimp, but I can't really see it well enough to be sure. I just added a small one to my garden and would be really pleased if mine grew to look like yours, if yours is a shrimp too.

And in the picture after that, the one with the Pretoria, there's a feathery green plant on the left. It's such a pleasing contrast to the color and size of the canna leaves. What is it?

Thanks for sharing your garden with us, June

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi June! You're welcome to pop over from Florida anytime. Growing conditions in parts of Texas can be very similiar to those in Florida since both states have a diversity of climates.

You're right about red plant. It's a shrimp. When we have a mild winter like this last one they bloom all the way through it and all the next summer and fall too. There are three different kinds of shrimp pictured on the link below so you can see what you have to look forward too.

The feathery plant is a single fennel plant that is going on its third year. I've never had one so big and fluffy. I plant fennel for the black swallowtail catepillars and also use it in cooking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of shrimp plants in a previous post ..

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

Thanks Roselee: I lurk at the Texas Forum regularly but frequently forget to check the Gallery so I missed your April picture show.

I have Fruit Cocktail and it's big, bushy and full of flowers. The orange was moved earlier this year so while it's thriving and blooming, it's still striving to match its pre-move size.

The only red I've seen - in a fellow gardeners yard - was tall and lanky. Viewing your plant, l'm hopeful that conscientious pinching on my plant will produce a more pleasing form.

Thanks for the link, June