Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life Imitates Art ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 18:37

This anole seems to be practicing how to be a big bad dragon so someday he can scare the livin' daylights out of Max dog who chases anoles, but seldom makes a catch ...

The pot was a flea market find. I thought the anole on it was cute enough to show you so while we're here I'll throw in a couple of other photos.

If you've ever looked at garden art at the plant nurseries you really appreciate what you can do for free. A thrift shop had a star burst clock in the trash can from where I retrieved it. The non-working clock was removed and I was looking for a mirror to put in its place. Patty came up with a hub cap she'd found by the side of the road. Perfect! The star burst was antiqued to match the bird cage and here's the result -- all for free ...

I have something similar I'm working on for the opposite side of the yard and if I can get them lined up just right you might get zapped onto the Starship Enterprise if you intercept the beam ;-)

Here's the back yard strawberry pot I got at Yeya's. Some hardy hens and chicks I had on hand were planted in the holes just to have something to hold help hold the soil in while the portalaca grows. The seeds planted in it have already germinated so it should be quite colorful soon ...

That's all folks. And keep your eyes open for good junque to decorate the garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life Imitates Art ...

Your garden and garden art is so lovely! I'm a teensy bit envious even though I know that envy is quite unattractive :-)

I love the starburst clock turned mirror! What a great use for a hubcap!

Pam

o

Thank you Pam. Thing is -- I get garden 'envy' when I see y'alls gardens! Maybe it's better to say I get garden 'inspiration'. Whateva', I get a real case of 'inspiration' when seeing succulent collections, beautiful pots and garden art like I've been looking at today on the below linked site.

But mostly I do enjoy my little yard and I sincerely want everyone to enjoy their plants, however many or few they have; and enjoy their yards, however large or small it is. That's what gardening is all about, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Splendiferous in Santa Ana ...

o

Oh my, wonder if I can still retrieve my clock from the trash? That is beautiful.

o

Well said Roselee!

o

Hi, I noticed a link to one of my blog posts here, so thought I'd say hello. My blog about design, gardening and art is based in sunny, hot, dry Southern California and my aesthetic bent is toward junk, industrial and flea market finds used in unique ways. Please feel free to check it out, I think your readers will find much to enjoy. Here're a couple of recent posts you might find interesting: Enjoy!

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/05/16/oxidized-opportunity/

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/03/31/color-studies/

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/03/11/backward-glance/

http://ranchoreubidoux.com/2012/02/08/strange-relations/

Here is a link that might be useful: Rancho Reubidoux

o

Mighty pretty. What's the name of the rose in the blue pot?
Jim

o

reubix1, I'm not sure you'll check back in here, but I want to say I did enjoy the links you provided. I only discovered your site today and haven't had time to explore your site. I especially liked the photos of your own garden. For me nothing is so beautiful as repurposed, or purposed, objects as art tastefully arranged with plants in the landscape. You do that well. Thank you!

o

Jim, the rose is a polyantha, Gabrielle Privat. I like it so much I have three of them. I should try to start some cuttings for the swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabrielle Privat on HelpMeFind ...

o

That's a cool photo of the anole!

I love what you've done with the old cage and the "mirror" on top too.

Your garden changes so much, I'll have to take more pics when I come back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here