Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

A few pictures

PKponder TX Z7B
11 years ago

I wanted to share a few of my favorite things.

Carrie has shared so many nice plants with me, I'll show those first :-)

Ferns in my 'woodland garden'

Carolann gave me the variegated liriope last year, it looks nice with the ferns.

Spiderwort...I love tradescantia

Shrimp plant cuttings in with the pencil cactus

Lyre Leaf Sage, I even like the seed heads

Cashmere Bouquet

Other plants in the woodland garden

Baby Beauty Berry

Dayflowers...a master gardener instructor told me that this was 'just a weed'...I don't care, I love them!

Hydrangea is happy here

My tiny pigeon berry has berries!

Anyone know what this is? Didn't have a tag but it was in the shade area at Stewart's.

Sedums from Carolann

And moving on to the 'Butterfly Garden'

My Vitex

Orange Daylilies in front of salvia mexicana 'Tula'

Nanho Purple Buddleia

Black and Blue salvia

and then there are the butterflies and cats

Gulf fritillary cat on a spent bloom

Gulf Frit

They sure love p. caerulea

Desert Rose with more shrimp plant babies

Cosmos seedlings blooming at a really tiny size

And on to the back shade garden (moon garden)

Hidden ginger and the ever abundant purple basil (word to the wise, don't let this reseed)

Inland Sea Oats

Varios other plants that I adore

Waterlily bloom with an ant. These have an awesome fragrance.

Manfreda bloom from Roselee

Daylilies

Another small aloe or agave from Roselee

Elephant ears from Carrie

Plummies coming back to life

Giant Brug bloom

The liner that we rescued from my brother and sister in law. A pond again, at last!

Hymenocallis with an ugly backdrop

Morning Glories

I believe that I've shared enough for now, thanks for looking!

Pam

Comments (12)

• Vulture61
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very Nice. I really like the rocks behind the ferns.

Omar

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Pam, awesome.........you have really been busy, and everything looks just wonderful. Thanks for posting these.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks y'all!

Carrie, just keeping the oak seedlings plucked out is a full time job! I really love the plants that you have shared with me!

Omar, that's a water feature that we built. We are very DIY, with a small budget and love water features. We had a rock that had been hollowed out on top with a channel drilled for tubing and we placed it over a rubbermaid tub buried underground, topped with a grate and hidden with the river rock. It's one of my favorite things :-)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Pam your gardens are really looking good. I think you have found the perfect place for your hydrangea. Your mystery plant is Pink Knotweed Persicaria capitata. I grow it in a shade garden. I've read that it can be 'aggressive', but it's not in my garden.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Pam, there is something so peaceful and so right about your woodland garden. Everything looks so 'in place'. I too love your use of stones and driftwood. Thank you for discribing your water feature.

Of course, I also like your found pieces, like the iron bed. I love your backlit photos of the morning glory, and your photos of the butterflies and caterpillars. It's great that you got the pond liner. I see you have beautiful water lilies waiting for the pond. You have a great collection of plants both native and improved.

I also have and love the Pink knotweed and neither do I find it invasive. It's a great groundcover and works where it can hang over the edge of a pot too.

It's so good to see pictures of gardens we haven't seen before like yours and Omars. I hope others will be inspired to post pictures of their gardens also.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your comments and the ID on Pink Knotweed. I find the 'knots' so cute!

The hydrangea was a re-gift from my mother in law, it was near death and barely survived the first couple of years until I found 'the spot' that it wanted to live in.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

PK, I really enjoyed your garden photos...especially your woodland garden. I laughed a little when I saw the "weed" with the blue flowers because I also have them and have a love/hate relationship with them. Thanks for sharing your garden pictures!
    Molly

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

I want! Especially loved the orange daylillies and the puple basil. I've never seen that before.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynnmarie, I'll be happy to share. The basil is really invasive though. I drive through the metroplex 4 days a week for work. Email me and we'll figure something out.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

When one applies the following test: "if you pull on it & it comes up, you shoulda kept it - if you pull on it & it won't come up, its a weed" one learns that it is, indeed, a weed. I've got it in my lawn, of all places, and it Will. Not. Pull.

I probably wouldn't mind having it somewhere else. :)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

But at least in the lawn, you can mow it !!!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it smells really good when you mow it :-)