Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Some flaming flowers and other bright things ....

Some of you may remember that I planted a Mimosa tree to give the roses a little filtered afternoon shade after an a Arizona ash limb that was dangerously hanging over the roof was cut. I had a choice of colors; the usual pink and a new color called 'Flame'. Well, as you can see I choose 'Flame'. When the Bougainvilleas kick in with their bright colors I'm thinking any guests would be wise to bring a fire extingisher ... ;-)

{{gwi:212668}}

Another flame is the Mexican flame vine that was passed along by Jim. I didn't realize it would bloom this early. I love it! I goes well on the 'rusty collection' on the deck ...

Here's the first bloom on 'First Lady Phlox'. It's a cooler flame ...

The idea of painting the 'Abraham Darby' trellis to match the flowers was being considered ...

But cobalt blue was decided on instead. What do you think?

{{gwi:212680}}

I hadn't planned on the purple plant stands from Yeya's being completely covered, but the wild flower 'Snapdragon vine' (passed along by Patty) had other ideas ...

But I'm certainly not complaining! ... :-) I'll be saving seed to pass along at the fall swap. It's an annual ...

I'm loving the 'Limelight salvia' passed along by Tonya ...

I'm happy the flames are flowers and not from our flame shooting sun. Instead, we're enjoying some nice rains. How about you?

Comments (13)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Everything really looks good. I like your Flame mimosa. How long does it bloom?

The Mexican flame vine must be in 'Jim's' corner because I see one of the little Texas stars I brought to the swap also.

I'll be asking for Snapdragon vine seeds. That's a pretty vine. What's in the pot in the stand that it's covering?

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jim, I was wondering if you'd notice the 'Jim Corner'? (~smiling~)

Not sure how long the Mimosa blooms, but from what I've observed around the neighborhood they bloom off and on for pretty much the whole season.

That's a little purple African daisy from Lowes sale rack in the pot. I intended to put succulents on the plant stands and just plopped that in there temporarily. Then I noticed how nicely the color matched the vine so I left it. The African daisy is between flushes right now.

The vine, also called Asarina, has just started blooming and blooms all summer. I used to see it growing wild on a barbed wire fence not far from my house. Neat little vine. You can certainly have some seeds.

Ah, I just read that it's a host to Buckeye caterpillars!

Thanks for looking and commenting :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapdragon vine, Maurandella antirrhiniflora

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Snapdragon vine is most unusual..........very pretty, and I may be asking for seed as well. Everything looks so pretty, Roselee, and your garden art just brings out the beauty.
    Jim, will the Mexican flame vine do okay in partial shade? I need to move mine as the passion vine nearby is too aggressive for it.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I love the flaming colors! That mimosa is a lovely shade of 'flame' :-) I absolutely love the bloom on the Mexican flame vine...I had no idea that the blooms looked like that!

The snapdragon vine is gorgeous...don't you just love our beautiful wildflowers?

I bet that salvia will attract the hummers, it is just beautiful!

You chose a great color for the trellis, cobalt blue is my favorite!

Something else I just noticed, the small gardens ringed with wood lengths are really rustic and neat! We are doing something similar and it's a charming use for all those limbs that we take out to get a little more sun.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Put me down for seeds of the snapdragon vine.!!!!!....at the swap.

• ibheri
    11 years ago

Everything is bright and beautiful. Vines are very pretty. Liked the Budha a,lot.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam, that's a great idea for using tree trimmings. The ones I have, which someone made out of left over pieces of landscape timbers, are lined with metal stapled to the wood. I put heavy plastic in the bottom with holes cut in it to help keep the moisture in.

Thanks all for looking and commenting. I'll be saving seeds from the snap dragon vine for anyone that wants some. I agree that our native Texas plants and flowers are the best!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Hi Roselee. If you got the snapdragon vine from Patty, I think she got it from me several swaps ago. I got it from Barton Springs Nursery and they called it Big Bend snapdragon Vine. An empoyee collected it from a valley there. I think I have gotten a ID of Maurandya barklayana but the picture online does not agree with it, so I am not sure about it..The Peckerwoods Gardens had it IDed as such. Asarina is the same thing. The name Asarina has still stuck in the comercial world but the scientist are all over the place with this family's name. They also call the family Maurandella . It keeps me pulling my hair out trying to keep up. some asarinas are much larger leafed. Mine staid around for 4 years but those nasty winters and drought killed it off, but I have lots of babies. I have a much more delicate roving sailor vine that is just like this but tiny and it comes in blue and a pink variety.Maurandya antirrhiniflora or "Roving sailor". They make LOTS of seeds.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mara! The more we know about the plants we have the more fun it is to grow them :-)

• queenb
    11 years ago

Your yard is beautiful! If only I could get mine looking something like that again. It's been awhile since I've had a really nice, full yard like that.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Queenb. Rain sure helps ...

• queenb
    11 years ago

No kidding!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

QueenB, I'm curious. Having had a full garden - would you really want one very full again?

This is an open question to anyone else who would answer also.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio