Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Double Larkspur and other interesting things ...

Part of the fun of gardening is discovering new things right in your own back yard.

I happened to notice this one clump of very dark blue larkspur ...

Looking closely I saw that the flowers were double making it look more like its relative Delphinium ...

Here is the my usual 'bunny eared' larkspur ...

Kathy remarked recently that she found a mutation among her larkspurs too. I'll ask her to will tell us about it on this thread.

When Linda M. offered to let me dig up one of her mock oranges that had spread around from the mama plant I almost said "No thanks", but am glad I didn't ...

It was just a few sticks at the time and I had no idea it would bloom this year especially since I cut it way back when planting, but it blooms on new wood and rewarded me with weeks of pure white flowers ...

I guess David Austin's St. Cecilia rose is the closest thing we can get to a cabbage rose in the south. It has an intense myrrh fragrance. This plant does especially well because it is on Fortuniana root stock. I'll try to get a full bush picture tomorrow ...

{{gwi:234245}}

It always amazes me how such a little cactus can produce such large flowers. And it has four more buds waiting in line! Must be due to the rain ...

Look at the number of bloom stalks on the Manfreda in the foreground! They are really going to be something else when they bloom. Is it because of the magic of rain? I can't wait until mine makes clumps this large. This was taken at ARE ...

And now for the bizarre. These contorted bloom stalks on the Red yucca at ARE have got to be due to excess moisture from the rain. Ya' think? ...

Hope you enjoyed the pictures -- from beauty to the beast!

Comments (20)

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Roselee, I don't remember the manfreda being that blue/gray color. The are even more attractive to me now, lol

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Sorry, hit the submit before I wanted, I IM to much I think, lol
    Your larkspur are gorgeous, that is a true blue, I'm wishing I had gone to that garden instead of ARE, lol
    Everything in it is gorgeous

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The larkspur show up 'true blue' in the photos, but in person they show more purple. But whatever, they are truly beautiful this year, as all the 'wild' flowers are. No doubt about it -- they have really gone wild this year! So much so that I'm dubbing 2010 "The Year of the Larkspur" :-)

Jolana, you didn't miss anything by not coming here. The nice thing about pictures is you can just show the pretty parts of the yard ... LOL

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Dang! Save those seeds!

I ordered seeds for the "old fashioned" larkspur. Here are some pics from last spring. The purple are the only ones up this year.

{{gwi:1326947}}

{{gwi:1326948}}

{{gwi:1326950}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Larkspur article

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I love larkspur, and these shots are such beauty....thanks, ladies for sharing.
    And, YES, Roselee, save those seeds.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy I LOVE those old fashioned ones! It looks like mine reverted to the "old fashioned" version. Should I cover the flowers to keep them from mixing? Where oh where is my tulle bride's veil from 50 years ago? Now is when I REALLY need it ... LOL

• wilo
    13 years ago

save seeds? oh my, I need to save seeds from larkspur? what about delphiniums? asters? gallardia? what else?

I know. . . I'll just invite jolana over. There won't be any seeds left.

well, I'm right, aren't I?

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Wilo, have you looked out this morning, LOL, I do share tho, hehehe

Those are all beautiful and they remind me of Papa's garden

• rcnaylor
    13 years ago

Great. Now you make me want a larkspur Roselee.

And, on a different note, it is hard to capture the depth and "real" color of flowers, isn't it?

My brother in law tells me I need speedlight flash. Anyone use one? They aren't cheap.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I just checked out front and found 1 white one of the old type.

RC, I will be happy to send seeds. I think I will have "enough" to share. LOL

{{gwi:1326951}}

This pic is about 1/10th of what I have blooming.

Also, if anyone was blue and white nigella seeds, just let me know.

{{gwi:1326952}}

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

I'd planted a packet of mixed color/double larkspur at my old house, and let them all go to seed. They either revert back to the single blue or the fancy ones might be sterile, but if Kathy's got 1 white amongst her blues, I'm thinking the single blues are dominant and the others aren't!

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

That may be because I collected most of the seeds last year. They are still in a baby food jar and never planted.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathy for the larkspur link and the picture of your larkspurs this year and last. I was going to suggest that everyone who has them post pictures of their 'Larkspur Forest'. It would be nice to get those seeds out of the jar too ... LOL. And look whose talking :-) I've got seeds I've been 'saving' for years.

Must have been the combination of the compost and the rain, but some of mine are six feet tall! I really should have thinned them. The one poor white and red striped amarylis that is peeking out is saying "Would you please move over. We're trying to bloom here" ...

Another shot taken early this morning. Here you can see the darker double ones ...

This has been a good year for roses too. The rose in the foreground is St. Cecelia. To the right in the pot is Blush Noisette ...
    {{gwi:234244}}

I wish roses were more readily available on Fortunianna root stock like this St. Cecilia. They do so much better on F. roots (which are more suitable to our soil and climate) that the people who show roses here in San Antonio do their own grafting onto Fortunianna.

• remuda1
    13 years ago

Just beautiful everyone! I have a few larkspur blooming now, but nothing like that. I'm just a little bit behind ya'll. So far this year, all I've got is the purple but it seems like I remember that the pinks have always come a little later, a little smaller and a little less of them.... Time will tell, I guess but I agree that this must be a great year for larkspur, they are sure thicker than they have been before.

• ibheri
    13 years ago

What is a good time to sow Larkspur seeds ? I put them in the gound a few days ago, but looking at your pictures I am thinking its quite late now.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm, not sure, but since this has been a long cool spring you may get a few blooms that have time to go to seed before it gets too hot. Maybe Kathy will know.

In about a month or six weeks when the seeds are ripe and dry on my larkspur plants I pull pull up the plant and shake it around to scatter the seeds for next year. The seeds that are thus scattered wait to germinate in the winter (I always wonder how they know to do that :-) making a little ferny rosette that will shoot up to bloom in the spring.

Your seeds might even wait, but probably not. One spring I planted cilantro seeds three times and they never came up. Then they all germinated in the fall, the correct time to plant them. Needless to say I had LOTS of cilantro that winter.

• ibheri
    13 years ago

Thank you Roselee for your feedback. I will watchout but I wll be ready for next year now that I know. It was infact Kathy who first told me about Larkspur and how well they do. I went back home and checked that I actually had a packet of seeds sitting and waiting to be planted :(

My cilantro plant has lots of seeds right now, I am going to let them drop so they come back this winter. I did just a few seeds last year and it was the only plant hale and healthy even after all that snow and frost. I love Cilantro...

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Wowwee, there are lots of pretties in all of these pics
    Thank you

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Yesterday I discovered one lonely pink one beginning to bloom. The old type bloom later than the bunny type.
    The color is more intense than this picture depects.
    I just took this pic.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

You guys are so far ahead of me.......mine are just now beginning to bloom, but with the 90 degree weather forecast for this week.....bet they pop rapidly.