Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Rockport gardens: 'Honey Bunny' Barbra's garden ...

I just returned from Rockport, Texas where Barbra took me to visit several of her friend's gardens. What a treat it was!

Rockport suffered a lot of damage as we all did from last winter's low temperatures. But perhaps the freezes were even more devastating in the coastal areas since they have so many tropical plants. Many plants, including huge palms were killed and had to be removed, some plants are slowly coming back, and most of them are being replaced by the valiant gardeners we visited in Rockport. But the yards were still wonderful. I can only imagine how great they will look when things have a chance to recover and newly planted flowers and shrubs fill in.

First is Barbra's garden.

This is one of Barbra's side yards in the early morning mist ....

This is the view right outside Barbra's back door ...

One of the many flower beds ...

Another garden view showing an expanse of emerald lawn ...

Some of Barbra's cannas ...

I fell in love with this graceful coral canna Barbra grew from seed that she won ...

Cherokee Rose with statuary ...

Pink crinum ...

Flowers from a giant red leaved crinum ...

One of her many plumerias. Barbra can tell you their names ...

Another plumeria ...

Deep red Passion flower ...

Even roses ...

Dottie, one of Barbra's three gorgeous mini dachshunds who spend the day having an absolutely ball treeing squirrels and digging for moles ...

Sweet and beautiful blue eyed Dottie ...

Of course, this doesn't begin to show all of Barbra's plants or garden layout; she has many other plants including several varieties of palms, but this will give you an idea of the effort and talent she and hubby Gary have put into their large yard. I hope you've enjoyed it.

Tomorrow I'll be posting some pictures taken at another garden.

Comments (21)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! That is truly beautiful. I was especially drawn to the the red Plumie and the hugeantic L. Guara. I also appreciate seeing the entire bed with added closeups. I'm a shameless copycat :).
    I'll probably copy the crane statues once my mini rainwater retention pond is finally finished. I like the way she positioned them closer together.
    That is one cute blue merle Doxie puppy. That blue eyed baby looks very proud of it's squirrel prowess.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

This is a picture of all 3 of my dogs, Dottie's, and her parents. Frank the dad is taking a siesta on the couch. Out of 5 puppies, 3 had blue eyes, Dottie was the only one with long hair. Barbra

{{gwi:493148}}

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Frank is a real charmer. I never could resist a handsome guy that *winks*. Dottie doxie (lol) is a really pretty dog. You must have surprised to get that many blue eyed puppies from brown eyed parents. Long haired doxies are the prettiest to me. Those are really nice looking dogs.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Thanks, I really enjoyed looking at all the gardens with Roselee. We got to go to the botantical garden in Corpus Christi. It was worth going just to see those hugh plumeria trees. The smell was just heavenly. Barbra

• princealbert
    12 years ago

maybe ya'll can come to my place next year. I should have some flower beds built by then.
    pa

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PA, build them and we will come! :-)

I was asking Barbra if she knew when you'd be moving there. What a beautiful place to live and garden! I bet you can hardly wait to get started.

• carolann_z8
    12 years ago

EWWW just gorgeous!!! What a fun trip that must have been.
    I love all your flowers. The red passion vine is Lady Margaret and it blooms later here. What is a Cherokee Rose?

Wish I could walk through your yard. Now why can't you live closer?

• princealbert
    12 years ago

roselee
    our target is the end of june. I'm closer to aransas pass than to rockport.
    pa

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Carol, that is a hibiscus mutabalis aka confederate rose.
    They sure bloom earlier down there. Mine here usually blooms in late july...ish.
    My grandmother had a huge one in Brownsville.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Mine don't bloom until early Fall..........what a difference climates can make !!!
    BTW, beautiful pics of a beautiful garden...and yes, they are ALWAYS "a work in progress" !!!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I took cuttings from the bottom of this confederate rose before we left, and stuck them in the ground. That is how my neighbor does it. I hope to have these to take to the Oct plant swap in San Antonio. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sometimes chickens, sometimes feathers. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I'd taken a picture of Barbra's neighbor's Confererate rose. It was a huge bush, almost a tree but with foliage to the ground; and had very large blooms all over it. From a distance they look like roses.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tour, Roselee. Barbra your garden is really looking good! You have a beautiful place.
    Jim

• carolann_z8
    12 years ago

Thank you Kathy. I have a double althea that looks a little like the confederate rose but with a smaller bloom.

What a treat to see all these great pics. Thanks Roselee.
    Good job Barbra.

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for posting photos of Barbra's yard!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Beautiful gardens, thanks for posting.

I'd love to know the name of the canna with dark leaf and red flower. It's one Barbra brought to swap and is already blooming here, very pretty flower and foliage.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I got it at Lowes, the tag on the side just said canna. I got it because of the leaves. It was a slow grower at first, I was suprised to see a red bloom, I was expecting to see dark yellow, like the tropicanna bloom. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Thanks Barbra. I love the leaves too and already have one bloom on them. The Siam hybrid canna is doing really well and I can't wait to see those beautiful blooms.

Just planted a shipment of Stuttgart and Pretoria cannas from the Brent and Becky's half price sale. Those are mostly for foliage though.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Beautiful garden Barbra! I can't believe that you are only there part time! That red leaved crinum is spectacular!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

If I lived there I would get into Aloes BIG TIME

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Did you want me to bring a giant red leaf crinium to the plant swap for you? Barbra