Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

Hibiscus blooms

zitro_joe
10 years ago

Tropical Hibiscus is my most recent plant obsession. I have more cultivars than I want to tell the wife about....Now I am trying my hand hybridizing. I'll post recent blooms here.

Creole Lady

Comments (22)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

These new hybrids ars so exciting. I have to reframe because I will need to get ALL of them and build a green house to winter them over. You know, "One is too many and a million in not enough" scenario. The dam would burst on my self discipline and self control would be blowin' in the wind.

So, I will just sit here, enjoy your beauties and live vicariously. That is one fine bloom. Keep them coming. That is an order!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Oh my -- the color is very credibly incredible! I can see it would be very easy to get hooked on them.

Years ago one of my neighbors who lived on a corner had tropical hybiscus lined inside his chain link fence where branches bearing flowers could peek through. The flowers were huge! I stopped one day and talked to him. He told me he had collected them in Hawaii. I had never seen anything like them in nurseries.

Yes, I too would love to see more of the flowers you're using to hybridize.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

an orange bloom.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

In every way -- BRILLIANT!!!

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Those are really pretty, Joe! I recently bought a few myself. In the early eighties I had 11 different varieties but lost them all to a very hard freeze, and swore off of buying any more. It was twenty seven years before we had that hard a freeze again, so I relented. I picked four out of about an acre of those beauties.
    Jim

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

27 years...I dont think I would have made it 2 weeks.
    Lowes here has some very bright pink,red,and oranges hibiscus plants for $3.69.

Here are todays blooms

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim, if you have time tomorrow: Space City Hibiscus Society is having a show/sale across town from you in Texas City. Free and open to the Public at 1pm.

I have seen some of the plants they plant to show and they look amazing over the pictures, so I cant even imagine what they look like in person.

http://www.spacecityahs.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Space City Hibiscus Society

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, Joe...........I have several of these and one that I bought "on sale" last year has been a non-stop bloomer for me. It had no name, but blooms a yellow based, multi-color bloom. I am really enjoying it.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one bloomed today. It has about 9 more on deck getting ready to show off...they are about 10" across.Huge.
    Paper Moon Hybridized by Barry Schlueter out of Houston TX

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carrie - do share you blooms here! I would love to see what you have growing, too.

Commercial names of these plants is somewhat irrelevant to me; they have changed their registered names for marketing purposes. Which is fine. but when you are crossing and want to register your plant, it is causing some confusion. On some of the exchange pages people only want named plants but these un-named are just as beautiful - sometimes more- oh well...
    Post a pic!

zJoe

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Those blooms are very pretty Joe and HUGE. Thanks for posting the pics.

Lisa

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very prolific bloomer.

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

Those are so pretty.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the same plant as the first photo - what a difference the sun makes. Something about those rays (or absence) that really have an effect on the coloring.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

What an absolute delight to view these pictures! Thanks for sharing.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I agree! The changes in the coloring of the first and last blossom shown are amazing. What an incredible flower producing machine your hibiscus plants are.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SnowFire

Other happenings around here...
    The Dahlias are 5ft tall

The filtered sun garden

A big bowl of Ariods

Another crowded aroids bowl.

Nasturtiums and a geranium

more linked if you wish to look.
    http://imgur.com/a/Qqoak/all

Here is a link that might be useful: Album

• carrie751
    10 years ago

What a beautiful assortment of caladiums............the blend of colors is superb, Joe, thanks for sharing.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

My nasturtiums never look so nice. Maybe if I stopped eating them, they would look better.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The caladiums came out very nice.

So all twenty Nasturtium seeds germinated that I planted. I have more than enough to eat and leave some alone not to eat, they have such a wonderful flavor for salads. I add carrots nasturtiums, oregano and basil. No fatty dressings needed.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Love, love, love all the very colorful plant combos you've got in pots. Looks like you have plenty of room in your yard for many more! ... (grin)

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Looking good, Joe. You didn't waste any time. Looks like you have things going your way already.
    Jim