Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie gardening in truck tires ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 1:03

While looking for ARE photos I came across this photo of Del and Malcolm Beck's vegetable and flower garden; part of which is grown in truck tires. Since there was lots of interest in the flower pot tires in Lucas' post I thought perhaps some of you would like to see this:

Malcome is a popular organic garden speaker and started Gardenville which he sold a few years ago upon his retirement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie gardening in truck tires ...

My tires are whimpy tires. I would love tires that size. I could see them in the "circle in front of the wood shop.

o

Yes, Amy's tires were much smaller and painted, but this looks appealing also. Looks as if they don't have a grass problem as I would............but I can see how convenient this would be for keeping the veggies separated.

o

I think these would look great painted too. What I like about them is they are big and heavy enough so one could to sit on the edge and reach in to plant and harvest. That would be a back saver for sure. He got the tires from the trucks and tractors working at Gardenville. Surely there must be a place to get them for nothing since there is such a problem of disposing of old tires.

o

roselee ~

if regular tire stores have to take your old tires when you buy new ones, wouldn't tractor/truck maintenance stores have to do the same thing? your local feed store might know of a local tractor maintenance company - maybe you could call them . . .

or a local distribution/trucking company that has a fleet of trucks . . .

or the motor pool of the local school district - the buses have large tires, too . . .

~ freshair

o

All good suggestions, Amy................next step, getting to where they are and getting them loaded....they are HEAVY !!! Once you get them home, you could roll them to their preferred place in the garden.

o

For that, Carrie, we'll need the help of our cousins Cletus & Cooter and that big ole truck they go muddin' in. :)

o

If you hear from them, ask if they will help !!!!

o

just a thought . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: free truck tires on CL

o
2nd CL listing

These aren't as visually interesting as the Beck's, but at least the ones on the left are larger than regular car tires.

PS: I'm madly in love with CL!

Here is a link that might be useful: slightly larger tires on CL

o
Last one, I promise

the one that doesn't hold air is free ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: free tractor tire on CL

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 23:49

I saw this post today on CL.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Free tires on CL

o

I have access to tires (actually the tire tread) from a small town tire shop. Check out local farmers, construction companies and the shops that service them. You really don't want the entire tire-- too much space lost from the side wall.
and YES they are heavy. Be sure to put them where you want them to stay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here