Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

The Elephant Pen

bossjim1
11 years ago

Starting last Fall I have moved all the E.E.'s to the same bed so I can come closer to giving them what they need, lots of light, heat, water, and fertilizer.So far they are responding pretty good.

I would have never thought I would get addicted to these.

Jim

Comments (29)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

i can't be certain, but is that a house back there? ;)

those a huuuuge & beautiful & luscious - i had no idea they could get soooo large

what's the tall & yellow on the corner?

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Looking good. They seem green monsters.

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! How 'skeered' should I be? I have a couple of those varieties that you passed along to me -- in POTS -- granted they're big pots being they're washing machine tubs. But when they grow up where oh where am I going to find a place to pen them?

I remember having a dream of pet baby elephants in the back yard and not knowing how to manage them when they grew up. I think it is about to come true! LOL

How many kinds do you have penned up?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I love EEs, Jim, and these are as pretty as I have ever seen...........oh yeah !!! What is the one that has the blue pigmentation?

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Yall.

Freshair - The yellow flowering shrub is Yellow Cestrum. It is continuously in bloom, and a very easy, no care plant.

Omar - Green monsters they are, and they are very hungry.

Roselee - Although most of them can't really be seen in these photos, there are thirteen different varieties in the bed, five of which I don't have I.D.'s on, yet. I've got five more varieties that I'm still growing in pots till they get a little bigger.

Carrie - If the one you are referring to is the tall one in the corner, I'm afraid that is one of the ones I haven't identified yet. Probably half of these I got at swaps with no names.I will eventually get them ID-ed.

Jim

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Jim, the one Carrie is asking about looks like Mojito.
    My hubby loves EE, but mine all seem to not come back the next year.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Well, rereading the post, maybe that's not the one she's asking about. You mentioned the tall one in the corner.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I googled EE and maybe the tall one is Black Stem colocasia fontanesii.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Third picture down, the smaller ones to the front with the blue (looks blue in the photo) spots.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Carrie, that's the one that looks like Mojito, but maybe Jim can verify that for you.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Carrie, that one is Mojito.

Thanks Ruthz, I'll check out Black Stem.
    Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Thanks, guys...........looks as if it is winter hardy here, and I really like that one.....will start looking for it.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Absolutely Jurassic! I love the ears!

Carrie, I have a blue stem colocasia that was not supposed to be hardy but has come back several years in a row if you'd like to try some. I also have rhubarb stemmed that has leaves like the black stemmed. Mine don't get quite as large as Jim's :-)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Pam, that would be great...........I'll email you later.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I better hurry and get mine in the ground, before they out grow me. You also gave me a stingray EE. I kept them in the green room during the winter.
    What fertilizer do you use? Just a general?
    My yellow cestrum has been blooming for about a month.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam.

Hi Kathy. I planted the EE's that I over wintered, in March. At that same time I put a whole package of , I think 12, MG tree spikes in amongst them. I try to feed them once a week with MG from the hose end sprayer.
    You gave me this plant last fall, but I don't remember what it is. I want to say some kind of flax. Could you refresh my memory?
    Thanks,
    Jim

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Variegated Flax Lily
    Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata'

zone 9b

• chickadee_42us
    11 years ago

Jim
    Regarding your rock edge. Have you simply stacked them or did you glue them or set them in concrete. I have a single layer but I am thinking about stacking in some places!
    thanks in advance for your reply.

The EE's are spectacular. I love the speckled one. I have never seen it before.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Hey, Jim. Here's an idea for doing something else with your EE. They are made of concrete or hypertufa. The instructions to make it are easy to find in the net.

Omar

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chickadee the border stones are just stacked, but, I am planning to mortar them in place this winter. They have been in place since spring 2005, and have settled and sagged.

Thanks for your comment on the E.Es, the speckled one is 'Mojito' a real favorite.

Omar, those are nice. I've seen them before. I'm afraid my list of future projects is already too long.

Jim

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Are they loving all this tain that we are having???

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Mara they loved the rain! We had rain for 13 days in a row, and you could nearly hear the EEs growing.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Jim, those tall EEs in the corner are impressive! They look a lot like some I saw on the blog linked, the fifth picture down.

I am enthralled with the Little and Lewis Garden!

http://www.littleandlewis.com/portfolio.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Beadon Hill: Little and Lewis Garden ...

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Roselee, I've identified those as Colosasia esculenta "Miranda".

That Little and Lewis garden is very impressive. It would be nice to have just a touch of their creativity and sense of design.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Jim, you already have more than a touch and I'm inspired to try to flavor my garden with some of their themes -- in a much smaller way of course; colors, big tropical leaves, pots on top of things, etc..

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

OMG! Those are just amazing! I am more than a little envious of your EEs! I have several here in the Dallas area, and most come back every year. Unfortunately, the black ones didn't make it back this winter. None of them get the size of yours, but I'm not feeding them. Now I know what I have to do. Thanks for posting the pics and the information.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

wow! They have really grown in the past couple of months. All the pups I got from you are doing great.
    If anyone wants any of that purple stem let me know, I grow it in a pot in the pond to keep it under control but it sends out runners constantly.
    Tally HO!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lyn and Tally. With all the rain we've had, the big ones are now taller than the eaves of the house.

Jim

• tdhg
    11 years ago

THOSE are jaw droppingly fabulous!