Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Took the camera with me on an early morning stroll ...

A few pictures were taken on an early morning stroll through the garden and I'd like to share them with you.

The rose in the foreground is The Fawn, a low spreading type of plant with old fashioned looking flowers ...

{{gwi:212670}}

A close up ...

{{gwi:212671}}

A new rose for the garden this year is Austin's Lady of Megginch ...

{{gwi:212673}}

It's a beautiful rose and strongly scented ...

{{gwi:212672}}

La Marne rose ...

View across the yard. Don't look at the sack of gravel! ...

{{gwi:212677}}

You went and looked anyway, didn't you ... ;-)

Thomas Afflect; a beautiful rose, and thornless. Highly recommended ...

{{gwi:212675}}

I'm happy so many more members of the Garden Web are using the Galery. Thank you! Keep them coming :-)

Comments (15)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

All are so lucious. I love the lowly cowpen daisy sticking up its head, or is that something else?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara, I looked up 'cowpen daisy' and it sure does look like it, but it's "Galardia Mesa Yellow" I got off Lowes sale rack last year.

I do LOVE our Texas wildflowers. Here's a bouquet of wildflowers son Doug picked a couple of days ago from the fields around my house. The one with the orange center is a galardia, also called 'blanket flower'. What is the all yellow one with the brown center? There are lots of them right now, also lots of purple thistles...

Also I meant to post this photo that I took last evening just because I thought it was a nice shot back lit by the sun ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of 'cowpen daisy' ...

• ibheri
    11 years ago

Wow !! I want to go with you on that stroll :) Lovely Roselee as always. I have been wanting to get Thomas Affleck for a while. Thats Mike Shoupe's right?

Yes, i went back and tried to see where the sack was ;) I wouldn't have noticed it had you not mentioned.

Fawn is doing great. Love the big blue plants for La Marne. Everything just looks so nice, I can well imagine the effort you put in.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

The Austin's Lady of Megginch and Thomas Afflect are just beautiful. I love that color.
    The yellow with brown center flower looks like a coreopsis.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I think it is C. tinctura (or something like that) maybe.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I looked at native wildflowers and I believe this is the correct name,
    Coreopsis tinctoria
    commonly called Plains Coreopsis
    Roselee, did you find your new roses locally?
    I'm going to add those 2 to my want list.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruth, I got 'Lady of Megginch' from Coolroses.com. They have a lot of roses on Fortuniana roots. I get as many roses as I can on those roots because they do much better for me in every way. When I belonged to the S. A. Rose Society I found out that the serious exhibitors grew all their roses on Fortuniana, even minis.

'The Fawn' I bought from Burlington Roses, although others might have it. Bring up the variety name of any rose on HelpMeFind and you can find out who sells it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right, Indu. Thomas Affleck was hybridized by Mike Shoup, owner of ARE, from Carefree Beauty x Basey's Blueberry. I think it got the best qualities from both parents.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Those are beautiful, your garden is looking amazing!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shirley, so is yours! I think this year should be called "The Year of Lantana." I've never seen them so beautiful as they are this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shirley's Rock-Oak-Deer Blog showiing her yard ...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

The roses are beautiful but I find my eye wandering to the decorations. That angel birdbath is gorgeous! I also love the iron work hanging on the brick wall and the blue swirl pots are really pretty. Love the seashells and phlox too!

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

My goodness, your photos and your garden are just beautiful and are always an inspiration for me. I don't have great success with roses in containers, but your LaMarnes (or are they some other rose?) in the blue pots with the dichondra are really showy and give me hope for container-grown roses in my garden.
    Molly

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I don't wish to just stroll, I'd like to sit a spell in your beautiful garden.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Really looking good, Roselee. I think you're ready for that TV shoot.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam, thanks for noticing the decor. I love finding things to use in the garden.

Molly, I wish I could just dig a hole and plant stuff, but rock or caliche is encounted just a few inches down. When I had just a few plants Bob would dig holes with a pick ax and crow bar, but when it got to be so many I resorted to using pots, most of them plastic or something similar. For the roses several very large holes are drilled in the bottom so the roots can go out into what soil there is. The pots keep the growing medium moist and hold the nutrients and they seem to do pretty good planted this way. The blue pots that the La Marnes are planted in are ceramic so just have a small hole, but so far they are doing okay.

Carrie, sitting a spell is my favorite thing to do early mornings and the rare cool evenings. If you lived nearby you could join me :-)

Jim, Central Texas Gardner shoots in the fall. They say the Texas sun is too harsh to film in the summer time. It's just as well as the tropicals will be at their best then. By the way, I'm no longer watching their programs. It would just make me nervous ... LOL! I'm going to pretend it is a garden visit like I'd have from any of you and try to forget it's being filmed. Anyway, the actual garden visit they show on the program is only eight or ten minutes long so it's not that big a deal.