Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Whadaya' do when it rains in San Antonio?

Whadaya' do when it rains in San Antonio? You run out and take pictures!

Whadaya' do when a plant blooms for the first time? Same thing ...

'Plantmaven' Kathy passed this beautiful crinum along earlier this year. I wasn't expecting it to bloom so soon. Even a second scape is emerging. Thank you Kathy ...

Not only is the columnar cactus below showing a huge first bloom, but it will probably be a long time before there is another. If I have the story right 'CastroGardener' Patty found it laying on the ground having broken off from the main plant. She gave it to me ... :-) It was quite shrunken by the time it was planted a few weeks ago and I sure didn't expect it to bloom.

BTW, I want you to know I stumbled around out in the dark to get this shot ... LOL It was pretty much gone when I got up late the next morning ...

Sometimes you find the unexpected when you have a garden with mirrors. Oh well, it could have been worse, much worse! ...

As we excitedly greet our first blooms sometimes we have to wave goodbye to the last blooms of the season. Let it be known that beautiful blue Larkspurs persist until July ... :-)

I'll let you in on a little secret about the rain. I was headed over to 'SunnySA' Irene and Doug's garden this morning to see their yard with the 'rain god', and other art that Doug recently constructed. However, it seems the 'rain god' didn't waste anytime getting to work and I had to take a 'rain check' on the visit. But I'm not compaining! Thank you, Doug! It works!

This little guy is showing his gratefulness, too ...

I love this saying that Irene passed along on the Conversations Forum:

"Gardening is the joy in your heart, made visible."

So it is! ... :-)

Happy gardening!

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 12:47

Comments (16)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Yay rain! We've been having daily rain lately and my yard loves it. Not as much as your yard though - your flowers are glorious.

Let the sauna begin.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laughing! Oh please -- not the sauna ... not too soon anyway! The tropical jungles look so appealing, but you don't feel the 'sauna' when looking at pictures.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's begun! It was still fairly cool so thought it would be a good time to transplant some things and dig up other things for the fall swap. And then the sun came out. Oh boy -- if saunas are good for you I'm gonna' be soooo healthy ... Ha!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Everything looks so misty, hazy and dewy. Ya reckon it's the rain? Love the rain! Wow, your tree succulents have filled out beautifully. It didn't take them long at all. It looks just like they've always been in place. Gorgeous setting for them. Remind me not to put up any mirrors in my yard, lol.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Absolutely wonderful, I love, love the pix, ESPECIALLY the *mirror* shot

That crinum is to die for, still no sign of mine wanting to bloom

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irene, it was actually raining quite hard when I took the pictures, but the light was bright and since I don't know how to capture rain drops it looks dewy. It's funny to watch our poodle Sport run around when it rains, jumping up into the air with his mouth open trying to catch raindrops. He can see them.

Jolana, thanks. The crinum is the prettiest I've ever seen. It seems to bloom well after it gets going although Kathy said it took years before hers did anything. I'm thinking the variety is Ellen Bosanquet. What do y'all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen Bosanquet crinum

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

It does look like that lil lady
    So pretty, can't wait for mine to bloom, I am supposed to have two pink ones, lol and I don't remember what the other colors are, they never bloomed in the old place either, lol
    The tried and true milk and wine was the only bloomer

• lesli8
    9 years ago

**love** all of it! Love all of your statues/garden art!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lesli, thank you. Many of the pieces of garden art were gifts and much appreciated. All have a story ... :-)

This post was edited by roselee on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 9:11

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a recent gift from my dear friend Linda M.. She had used it at the edge of a large pond, but one morning she got up to find the pond emptied overnight. Racoons had torn up the lining.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't decided if the bucket with dyckias and dalea greggi (thanks blue girl) represents what happens when your well runs dry, OR splashing water. What do you think?

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Wow, I say leave it to interpretation. That is so very creative . If I let you stay as long as you like, eat whatever you want, and have a baby of everything in yard, will you put my new garden together, lol

• MKull
    9 years ago

Hope you some some of the liquid sunshine today roselee. It poured in my part of town.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jolana! But 'have a baby in your yard"? ... uh, I don't think so. Oh, a baby OF everything. Well then, I might consider it ... ;-) LOL

Mkull, it did rain at my house! Wasn't that a nice surprise? Haven't replaced the rain gauge after the limb knocked it down, but judging from the water in buckets and stuff probably got almost half an inch. Did you measure the amount you got?

• MKull
    9 years ago

About the same here. I don't know for sure. Our rain gauge got into an altercation with the weed eater and sustained fatal injuries.

• MKull
    9 years ago

I did my walk around, emptying out standing water. A 5 gallon bucket had exactly an inch of water in it. Yay! Yesterday was our watering day as well so I got to skip that again. A friend about 7 miles N of us said they didn't get a drop.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County