Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

They deserved better ...

My last post didn't do justice to some of the flowers pictured, especially the Mexican trixis, [correction: Heimia salicifolia] so I took some more. Notice the red stems that add to the appeal of the plant ...

Of course, photos are like potato chips; you can't take just one. First lady phlox ...

I planted several colors of echinacea for my dogs who like to nibble on the leaves (perhaps for medicinal purposes?) but this is the only one that thrived ...

Here's a close up of the gravel volunteers, four nerve daisies, zinnia, amaranth, young scarlet pentapete at bottom right ...

I love the brilliant blue of dwarf plumbago. It meanders around the garden never trying to take over, but never disappearing either in spite of heat, drought and low temps ...

When this caught my eye I thought a pipevine swallowtail butterfly had finally come and laid eggs producing a caterpillar, but it was the bloom. I'm always amazed at how for protection the caterpillar so resembles the flower ...

This canna never gets much over a foot tall and blooms all summer ...

It seems these may be my last photos for awhile as my old camera stopped functioning. Does anyone have a suggestion for a very simple camera (for a very simple person :-) with which to replace it?

Happy gardening!

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:23

Comments (11)

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Ragna, I don't think I've ever seen that trixis either! Are you planting new stuff without telling me ??? Oh, before I forget again...when you were taking care of my plants last year... were you walking around the yard sprinkling Jewels of Opar seeds ? They are coming up all over ! I know it's you!! :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, I got Mex. Trixis [correction: not Trixis -- Heimia salicifolia] a couple of years ago when the SABG had that terrific late season sale. Stuff was $3.00 per gallon pot with a discount if you bought over a certain amount so I threw caution to the wind and decided to try one, or sometimes three, of many plants that I didn't have. Trixis got planted in too much shade and didn't bloom much until this year when I moved it.

How wonderful about the Jewels of Opar! The gardening angels (NOT me!) must have thought you needed some more jewels in your garden and let it float down from heaven. You'll learn to love it ... :-) It's a great filler like another one of my favorites: the chocolate plant. As you may know I have three varieties of 'jewels'. I'm really excited to have received the lime green one at a plant swap. I'll be glad to pass it along to you ... LOL

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:25

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Oh, yes.... much better! The Mexican Trixis looks a lot like one I saw at Rainbow today. It had the same red stems but a different name. It was an eye catcher. The Lady Phlox has a really bold and brilliant hue but the petals are so delicate looking. Is that pipe vine the one that is called a Dutchman's pipe vine? We're trying to grow one that we got at the Fall Swap, but it doesn't look like that one. Thanks for the pics. Really pretty!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irene, thank you for being observant! Your comment led me to do some research. Thank goodness I took pictures of the signs at the SABG sale. The plant above is not Trixis. Trixis has more daisy like yellow flowers. I bought it at the same time, but the one pictured is Heimia salicifolia, "shrubby yellowcrest". Trixis is a much cuter name ... LOL ... so I remembered it.

Trixis is not blooming yet. That's probably because it is being shaded by Ironweed growing in front of it and just about ready to burst into bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heimia salicifolia at Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower Center ...

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:28

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got so involved in correcting the name of the Heimia, or yellowcrest, which is easier for me to remember, that I forgot about the Dutchman's pipe vine.

There are many varieties. This one is Aristolochia fimbriata; a beautiful plant, more like a ground cover, with gorgeous patterned leaves. I'll bring some seeds to the fall swap in case you or anyone else is interested in growing it. It's the host plant for pipevine swallowtails and that's the main reason I grow it. Now it they would only come like they have in years past.

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 23:29

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Roselee, We've re-named half the plants in our garden into cute names, lol. That's half the joy of gardening is just growing plants .. for the joy of it. So we have names like Ding Dong and Dr Seuss and "Yellow Rose of Texas" when I know full well that it's not a yellow rose, but a yellow Hibiscus. But, I have it in a "Texas" pot, so it becomes the 'yellow rose.' It's like that saying, "Gardening is the joy in your heart, made visible." I like the name Trixis, too. Can't wait to see pics when it blooms.

We would love some seeds from your pipe vine when you have some available.
    BTW, the camera that I use is a Canon SX130. Simple to use but takes good pics.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irene, wow -- I love that saying!

Oh, and my camera is okay after all. I unknowingly pushed a button that made the screen go blank ... LOL

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

I remember bringing you caterpillars for your pipe vines.
    Glad your camera is ok.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathy, yes I appreaciated that. They thrived here on all the pipevine I have. I was hoping it would have encoded on their genes or something so they would come back, but so far nothing. How about at your place; any caterpillars?

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

Not That I know of, but I am seldom out there any more. I did like you and scattered some seeds around in pots and beds.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Your flowers are so pretty. I am so glad you posted the photo of the plumbago. I bought some a couple of years ago and thought something was wrong with it because it never gets very big. it wasn't marked as dwarf, but it must be. I don't think I've ever seen a pipevine bloom before.