Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another tree i.d.

Posted by lil_tomato (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 13:37

I am also wondering about this tree as well... It also has pink flowers.

Image link: another tree i.d. (52 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another tree i.d.

Do you have a closer picture? I'm just guessing but it looks like a Desert Chitalpa to me (Chilopsis linearis).

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilopsis linearis

o

Yeah a closer shot would be better but I agree with GT, from those pics, it does look like it could be a desert willow

o

Shoot, I was driving, and it was a spur of the moment shot. Thanks for trying...

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 14:35

lil, did you open the link I attached to my first message? Does the tree you saw looks like a desert willow?

I have a plant id COD (compulsive obssesive disorder) so....

Omar

o

Glad to know you then! My SO (who was the one who commented how pretty it was) said it's not quite right. I can't remember the details enough to tell. It's seems like the leaves weren't so spikey, though.

o

:(

Omar

o

Hi Lil, google Chitalpa tree (Chitalpa tashkentensis) which is cross of the Catalpa (Catalpa bignoides)and the Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis) and look at the pics and see, the flowers and shape look like it could be
jolana

o

LMBO, I don't want that rep!!!! I did think chinaberry from these pics but....the other tree id thread the flowers don't look like chinaberry to me.
Take a peek at that tree, lol

o

Sorry Jolana, you've already earned it :-)

I've lost track. The pictures on the two threads are of different trees, aren't they? From the shape of the trees above they look like Desert Willows to me.

o

HAHAHA, I don't know either now. I thought she said they were the same but the flowers were gone, lol

o

Yes, these trees are different from the other thread. I forgot to glance at the trees when I drove by them again the other day. I'm not sure if I can get a close up since they are next to a busy street.

o

Lil Tomato,you are right not to try to get a pic there

o

Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 11:56

Jolana! It's for the sake of knowledge!! :D

Omar

o

HAHAHA, okay GT, now Lil tomato sees what is important, lol

o

Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 16:12

Duh!! Isn't obvious?

Omar

o

We were driving by these trees again, and I think it might be the Dessert Willow or the cross that Jolana pointed out after all. The flowers were light pink and the leaves were pointy after all!

They look so similar in the pictures that I can't tell which one it is, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here