Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysa_gw

Garden Whimsy

sunnysa
10 years ago

We enjoy creating little themes in our garden. Here, we have a new burro... thanks to DH. And, we have a little house on the prairie complete with a plastic snake.... thanks to Hobby Lobby.

The colors on the little house are terra cotta and blue...... thanks to Roselee's post on SABG, lol.

Comments (16)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Adorable, and since I have eight "burros" of my own PLUS two concrete ones, I certainly appreciate how cute this one is.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eight? Now, I'm in envy city. Either DH has to return to the grindstone or I need to shop!

Seriously, they make really good planters. Thanks, Carrie.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The garden whimsey burros are precious! Good work!!!. Thanks so much for all your pictures. The photo on the main forum of your patio with the ferns is gorgeous.

I think Carrie's eight burros are living, eating, good fertilizer burros ... :-) I have a friend in San Antonio who says the nice thing about donkeys is that they all poop in the same place so when you need some organic fertilizer it's already in a nice pile. Is that right Carrie?

• carrie751
    10 years ago

They do, Roselee................trouble is they keep moving the poop pile. The "minis" are much tidier with theirs than the wild ones.............LOL>

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had no idea.... living, eating, good fertilizer burros? Do I have egg on my face? Thanks, Roselee, for setting me straight. I think that's wonderful that Carrie has eight live ones. I've always loved them on my Grandma's farm. For me, it's a reminder of simpler and fun times.

That is so funny... "They keep moving the poop pile." :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I don't see any egg on your face! How many people have real live burros????

Carrie, are some of your donkeys mini size and others full size? I know nothing about donkeys.

Also Sunny, meant to mention that I love your patio with the ferns that was pictured on the main forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini donkeys ...

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Roselee, you did mention the ferns, I just forgot to say thanks. I just couldn't believe that Carrie has eight! We enjoyed your post on the mini donkeys, too. I never knew that there were minis. Soooo Cute!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I have five "minis", the smallest is one that was foaled here named Winter (December 22 of 2007 I think) who is only 28 inches tall. His mother, Nugget, was the first foal born on the property, and I had to pick her up from near the road and move her to the loafing shed. It was long enough for her to get my scent, and I have been second "mama" ever since. The three standards that I have came from Black Beauty Ranch, and they had been rescued from the Mojave desert before Cleveland Amory died. I have to keep them separated from the minis as the males do not like each other.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a super cool post!! I already love Winter and the story of Nugget!

Thanks, Carrie, for all the great information.

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

Cute!

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Cute donkey, your DH does good!
    Jim

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys. It's a work in progress... meaning, we have pulled out the little house (too girly, lol) and replaced it with rocks and succulents and broken wagon wheels. The little house will go over with the moonflower and pink morning vines.

Ah, gardening... it never ends! :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I liked the little house there, but of course you know how it looks in person. I'm always moving things around myself.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How right you are, Roselee. I've already moved it back in place. My DH says, "I'm going to put this thing on wheels."

See, I thought the little house on your SABG post was so charming... right there in the middle of all the cactus, so I thought, why not? But no one that saw it, made the connection, lol.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Ah, it's wonderful and the colors are perfect. We here on the Garden Web make the connection.

As to the wheels comment, it sounds like something Bob would say ... LOL. Sometimes I can't visulize what things will look like and they, of course, HAVE to be moved when it doesn;t 'work' ... :-)

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ....and you are so right. It HAS to be moved when it doesn't work! My sentiments exactly! As for DH and Bob, they are treasures, aren't they?