Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little garden art, including fossils ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 14:39

Hi everyone! For anyone interested I'd like show you a few pieces of 'garden junque/art' arrangements. I get a lot of ideas from pictures on the internet and if this is 'your thing' maybe these photos will give you some ideas.

The reclining Buddha never showed up very well so a little bed of smooth river rocks and fossils was arranged to highlight it. The garden elf on the right with the wheelbarrow helped me with the work ;-)

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the stones near the head are fossil shells which are often found laying on top of the ground in the Texas hill country. I've collected over a dozen through the years ...

In the evenings light shines through this garage sale stained glass cross which hangs inside the Texas red honeysuckle covered arch ...

The thrift store framed mirror adds some sparkle to a dull area ...

At the end of the mirror path frequently used garden tools hang on old rusty rakes ...

It's hard to take a picture of a mirror without appearing in it ... LOL. The garage sale bullet mirror on a wrought iron rose trellis will hopefully be surrounded by pink roses soon.

Bauble made with green marbles hangs among bird cages ...

Time stopped for this vintage Mexican clock found at a Lakehills thrift shop. Flowers now flow instead of time ...

A potted cactus sits on an upside down metal lamp base. The succulent planted in a Mexican pumpkin pot nestles in half of a light fixture. The concrete ammonite fossil was a flea market find ...

Speaking of ammonites can you see the ammonite fossil imbedded in the limestone boulder? Son Doug took this picture while walking the dry creek bed near the house. His dog Elsie gives you a perspective of it's size ...

It's fun to imagine how this part of Texas was once underwater, Huge ammonites were very common in the seas then. A squid like mollusk lived inside.

Thrift store and garage sale items placed around the garden fulfills a creative urge in me. Hope you enjoy looking as much as I enjoy playing with this stuff :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little garden art, including fossils ...

Sky is the limit to your imagination Roselee!! throughly enjoyed seeing the pictures. The vintage mexican clock - really cool idea to let the flowers flow thru.

o

I so admire creative people, and you've got it going on, Roselee..............very, very pretty.

o

Thanks Indu and Carrie.

Here's a bit of garden art that's not finished yet. It's a garage sale window box behind Rebecca in which I want to put a (cheap) mirror, but the lime green Filipino lily foliage with the lone old Kwanso daylily peeking through is so pretty I'm including it anyway.

I almost lost the Filipino lilies (which bloom in August) to the drought, but dug them up and babied them along until they recovered enough to replant ...

o

I love your garden art Roselee! The reclining buddha is really highlighted there! We always collect fossil rocks on our walks too. It is amazing to imagine that the sea was covering the area.

So many little gems here and there, mirrors really do bring sparkle to shadowy areas! I love green bauble, did you craft that? I absolutely love the rake heads used as tool hangers!
The lime green of the filipino lilies really sets off the crinums too!

Thanks for taking the time to share!

o

Nice, Roselee! Is the frame on the bullet mirror bronze? The pup is cute, it looks like he has a black outline around his muzzle. He's smiling for sure. My Philippine lilies are a little ahead of your with buds already.

Jim

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 11:00

Beautiful, as always.

o

That is beautiful, your garden is looking so good. Great ideas too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here