Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Garden Pictures - May

bossjim1
11 years ago

I downloaded my camera yesterday and thought I'd post a few.

Thanks for looking. If anyone is interested in day lilies, here's a link to some of the day lilies I planted last year. I had thrips early, but the blooms were better later in the month.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Day Lilies

Comments (10)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Beautiful, as always, Jim. Everything is gorgeous, but the vine is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Jim, your garden is WOW! Is the white bloomer in the 3rd photo Mexican Olive and what is the purple blooming plant in the same photo?
    PS, what in the world do you feed your "bleeding heart" vines to make them grow so beautifully?
    Molly

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

a. pleeeease give plant names - if i remember correctly, you work with a lot of plants that aren't so hardy here in d/fw & i don't recognize a lot of them
    b. didn't you post a couple of from-the-roof photos when you were working on your paths? - can you give us an updated "aerial" view?

~ freshair

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

WHOO HOO!!! I was thinking it was about time you updated us on your garden. It's looking glorious and your photos are marvelous. There is so much to see I keep going back and looking again and again. The daylilies are beautiful as is everything.

The yellow globe of a blooming plant in the pot -- I've never seen that before. What is it?

And the bright pink what looks like salvia in front of the Thyralis. Does it have a name?

There are so many other things I want to ask you, but this will be it for now.

Thanks so much for posting your pictures.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Awesome,as usual, Jim. I like how you trained your Morning Glory bushes into semi-trees.

Omar

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comments!

Mollie - The white flowers and the pink ones just above them, are Bush Morning Glories. I don't have room to let them grow as bushes, so they're trained as standards so I can grow other plants under and around them. The purple flowers are French Hollyhocks. The white bleeding heart vine really struggled last year after the hard freezes of 2009 and 2010, but this year it's going gang busters. The pink one is more aggressive, and will fill that tall trellis every year. I fertilize often with MG, and occasionally throw out some triple thirteen granular.

Freshair - Sorry about no names. I had intended to just post wide shots of the garden in general. If you will pick a picture, I'll try to I.D., and maybe I'll get back on the roof sometime this summer.

Roselee - Your description nearly hit on the name of the little yellow globe flower! It's Lysimachia 'Golden Globes'! It is a cousin to Creeping Jenny but not suppose to be as aggressive and prefers moist shade. I thought I'd try it in a pot before I just turned it loose. The pink salvia is Wendy's Wish. I really like the color, but so far, I'm not too excited about it's growth habit. It just kind of sprawls.

Jim

• ibheri
    11 years ago

Wow!! I think TX summer will have no affect on Jim's garden. Its just as beautiful as ever..love the sun dial nestled among all the plants.

The pink verbena you gave me established but is no where close to yours Jim, what do I need to do?

I'm going to take some pics too.. hopefully this week.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Indu. The verbena probably just needs time. Mine has been in that same spot for several years with no special care. Look forward to your pictures.

Jim

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Everything is just beautiful.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Gorgeous riot of color! The eye really doesn't know where to go next! Thank you for the eye candy!