Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Mostly phlox ...

The phlox and bougainvillea have really taken off with the hot weather. This is Robert Poore with the paler 'Summer phlox' in the background ...

You might can catch a glimps of Limelight salvia with Summer Phlox ...

{{gwi:212686}}

John Fanick's and First Lady phlox with bougies in the back ...

{{gwi:212684}}

Robert Poore in foreground with white Acoma crape myrtle in the distance. Sure glad Acoma is a 'dwarf' variety ;-)

{{gwi:212688}}

Here's the back corner with things planted in washing maching tubs. Jim, if you look closely you might recognize a couple of the EE's. I'm feeding and watering a bunch, but doubt they'll get as big as yours since they are in containers with other plants, but I love them ...

{{gwi:212689}}

Comments (15)

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Every thing looks so pretty.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I love all your flowers.
    The phlox is really pretty.
    I'm excited about finding the Robert Poore.
    I have watermelon red crape myrtles that are dwarf too.
    Thanks for posting all the pictures.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Ah, phlox............can never have too many.....yours are beautiful, Roselee.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Lots of color, and I like it! I always look forward to seeing your bougainvilleas. The phlox are really beautiful this year also. Your tropical setting area is very inviting, and I think your EE's are doing really good. They don't get as large in pots but you still get the same effect.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for looking! I like lots of color too and as I mentioned before the phlox and bougies provide the most color for the yard. The bougie colors, while intense, don't look so garish in person as they are separated somewhat where in the photo they look like they're very close.

Jim, I remember in one of your photos last year showing the giant EE in a pot it got pretty big so I'm hoping. What was it called? 'Thia palm' ... or something like that?

Ruth, I'm real excited too that Robert Poore is available and you found one. Incidentally, my so called 'drarf' Acoma isn't so drarf in my yard, but you could keep it smaller by hard pruning every year. That's what some of my neighbors do with their dwarf varieties planted along the curb. Some people call hard pruning "crape murder" but they are a ball of color most of the summer.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

As always, everything in your garden looks beautiful! Of course, the bouganvilleas really catch my eye since the one I have only blooms late summer/early fall. I may purchase another one because I am already trying to follow advice given on their care and I'm thinking maybe it's just this particular cultivar. Your garden is always an inspiration, Roselee.
    Molly

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Molly, I had a bougie, a beautiful purple, which bloomed only in late summer/early fall. I finally figured it was due to the variety. Most varieties that are now available start blooming shortly after being brought out of the overwintering house. They like full sun and take the blasting hot reflective afternoon sun they get on the storeroom deck. Mine in 2 to 3 gal pots need water almost every day. Also I give them lots of fertilizer.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Thanks, Roselee--Now I have an excuse to buy another bougie. Mine is in full sun and I have been fertilizing with Vigoro 24-8-16 fertilizer.
    Molly

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

That looks so pretty with all those bright colors! I like the table set up with the purple chairs.

The limelight salvia is a great color.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

AAAHHH the colors that rich dirt makes. all so beautiful. The shade really sets off the colors.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

roselee, my crape myrtle is not so dwarf either.
    That's why I said I have one like yours.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara, I'd say over half of my plants are in containers, maybe three fourths. That way I can use rich soil, water retaining crystals, and fertilizer, plus the water doesn't dissipate into the dry ground so I can have more of the lush look.

Ruth, okay ... now I see what you meant. I think there was a lot of wishful thinking when they decided to call them 'dwarf', right? What they really mean is 'somewhat smaller than most crape myrtles' :-)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Roselee the EE, I showed last year in the pot was Colocasia gigantea 'Thailand Giant Strain'. It's in ground this year where I hope to achieve leaves like this, from a poster on the Aroids forum. It's the last picture in my Elephant Pen thread.
    Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

That is BIG ear, Jim...............

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

So pretty! Thanks for sharing! I am inspired! My JF is about to bloom. I found Richard Poore by mail order, but it isn't here yet. Can't wait after seeing those pictures!