Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

A Few Summer Blooms

bossjim1
10 years ago

I finally took my camera in from the patio and downloaded some pictures.

Thanks for looking!
Jim

Comments (21)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

It has been at least 25 years since I have seen 4 o'clocks. I had forgotten how pretty they were.
    BTW the heat is on. It is 107 here. I have a sprinkler on for the birds.
    My pink? is blooming. Your 3rd from the last picture.
    The white MG bush is now about 2 ft. tall, but not yet blooming.
    kc

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kathy, it was 107 here today also, an all time record for June.

I really like the Four o'clocks, but have to be sure to pull up the seedlings every spring or they will take over.

The pink flowers in the pot is x Ruttyraspolia.

I tried to use the 'edit' feature to go back and put the names with the pictures, but kept losing the pictures, so I'll just list them here.

1.& 2. Bleeding heart vine
    3. Blood Lily
    4. Morning glory tree
    5. Flaming Glorybower and Rangoon Creeper
    6. Mexican firecracker Fern
    7. Four O'clocks
    8. x Ruttyraspolia
    9. Salvias Wendy's Wish and Black and Blue.

Jim

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful garden! Thanks for the pics and the plant names, too. If I don't bring a name tag home from the shop, I'm clueless, lol. Thanks for sharing.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Is that all? ;D
    Dang, Jim! you do an excellent job! I also like your 4 oclocks. The ones I have are plain pink.

Omar

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Oh man- your garden looks great. I'm getting some things that are browning up from the temps. Yours looks so beautiful and green. Especially the bleeding heart vine. After I murdered a couple I gave up. But it's really nice to see one looking the way it should. Thanks for posting the pics.

Lisa

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

So lush and so beautiful.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous, Jim, and two of the plants that you shared with me (firecracker fern and Mexican flame vine) are blooming so beautifully this year. I also received a white morning glory bush cutting at the plant swap this spring and can hardly wait for it to bloom after seeing yours. I have never had the white before.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Everything is just lush and beautiful! My garden aspires to be like yours :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Jim, I've been eagerly waiting for more photos of your summer garden. It looks beautiful!

Like Kathy I had forgotten how pretty the yellow and red four o'clocks were. I looked for seeds at a nursery, but didn't find any.

I was happy to see the x Ruttyraspolia blooming. The one you gave me has buds. I'm so excited because it didn't bloom last year. That may be because it needs more sun. How much sun does yours get?

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments.

Omar you really shouldn't encourage me,here are a few more.

I got the four o'clock seeds from a friend who ordered them from Austrailia, they don't always come true to seed. That may be because I have a pink one out behind the barn that gets cross pollinated with it.

Lush? Well, maybe, but Lush has an ugly step sister, and her name is Thirst!

Roselee, the x Ruttyraspolia is in full sun, but it was protected from frost last winter because I had noticed that the one in the ground, didn't bloom till fall if it froze back.

Mexican Flame vine

Yellow Cesrtum

Blue Boy

The Driveway Bed

• carrie751
    10 years ago

One of these days..........................I want to come see all this beauty in person...........what an inspiration your are, Jim !!!!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Great job, Jim. Yes, I think we should all head over to Jim's place. It's just all so pretty!

Thanks for the extra photos. Very nice!

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Keep those pictures coming, Jim!
    So, is there a way you can set apart the just pink ones (pink hue at the base of the seedling..) from the yellow/pink ones? I grew some white ones from seed some time ago but they couldn't stand my poor and hot conditions. Only the pink ones grow like crazy.

That blue boy vine with the orange canna looks great.

Omar

• rhill3
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, Jim! I like how you have your plants close together so the beds do not require a lot of weeding. How do you keep it all watered?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Thanks for your add on photos! BTW, the yellow cestrum you passed along is doing VERY well. It's as big as what you have pictured above and blooms continuously. Incidentally the red cestrum I got a the SABG plant sale which you advised me about bloomed all winter in it's big pot under the dappled shade of a Tenaza tree.

Are you coming to our fall swap Oct. 12? I hope so!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Yall, and please come anytime!

Omar, I've never checked the seedlings for color on the stem. I think I will dig out the pink one, around back, and see if that is the cause for the occasional pink blooming seedling.

Rhill, there is still a LOT of weeding to do. I put in irrigation in 2009 everywhere except the driveway bed. It still gets watered by hand.

Roselee, I cut the yellow cestrum down to about 2 feet tall in early spring or it gets really big. If you will look back up this thread, to the picture of the Rangoon creeper, the plant planted in front of the creeper, to the right of the blue vase, is my red cestrum. I think it has finally found a spot it likes. That is the third place I've planted it, nearly loosing it at each of the other spots. It was blooming this winter and early spring.

I can't say yet about the swap, but would really like to make it.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim for pointing out the red cestrum. I've seen it in orange also. It looks and blooms like the yellow one. Do you have it? If anyone in S.A. is reading this and sees one for sale let me know.

I sure hope you can join us at the SAPS Oct. 12. Your help unloading plants, etc. was much appreciatiated, but we'll try not to work you so hard as last time ... :-)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Jim, that bleeding heart vine is gorgeous. I did not think they would live in our Texas heat, but I really want one. Do you do anything special to keep the plant alive?

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Walnutcreek, this Bleeding Heart vine is Clerodendrum thomsoniae, which is semi-tropical and loves the heat, but does seem to benefit from a little shade in the hottest part of the day. The one that has a problem with heat is Dicentra, a woodland, shade loving plant. Hope this helps, and thanks for looking.

Jim

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Jim; I sure do appreciate it. I am going to see if I can find one. I want to put in on the east side of my house by the porch, so it would have shade during the heat of the day. I sure hope I can find one. I showed my granddaughter and she is excited to find one, too. I am so glad you posted the picture.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

Ooooh! Aaaah!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths