Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Welcome to Umbrella Town!

What was it -- 2009 when I put up a tent city to shade the roses from 116 temps? Who knew it could get worse ... LOL There are now five umbrellas around the yard until plants get either acclimated or moved ...

Since the very tall and dangerously decrepit Arizona ash had to be removed Bob has been working to remove the grass around the new little cedar elm tree and installing edging and pavers to make for easier mowing of the little patches of grass we have left ...

I'll say this; the Floratam St. Augustine that we plugged in year 2010 has totally taken over and is holding up well in the full sun so far. See Bob working away under the umbrella while Max lolls around in the grass? ...

The shade in the back from the ligustrum trees is valued all the more ...

A pecan tree, as big as they get on rocky caliche, shades the back as well as an arroya sweet wood and almond verbena trees. An umbrella insures there is always a shady spot to sit ...

A young desert willow, mimosa tree, purple vitex tree and a white one too, offer hope for future shade. I'm considering planting another kidney wood and perhaps a golden lead ball tree to help out. The back yard will look like a tree farm! ... LOL, Oh, and we've got mature teneza, smoke, and crape myrtle trees, but no big shade tree for the center of the yard.

I've had to move Richard Poore phlox from the pots and have replaced them with my favorite agave, Americana 'medio-picta alba' ...

More things will be moved, but in the meantime Lord Baltimore hibiscus is showing off ...

We'll just keep plugging away at making the best we can of the new sunny back yard.

When life gives you lemons,
you just go with the flow ...

Or something like that ... ;-)))

This post was edited by roselee on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 22:48

Comments (12)