Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Touring 'sunnysa' Irene and Doug's arts and crafts garden ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:42

Some wonderful hours were spent this morning touring Irene and Doug's beautiful garden.

We started out on what I called the "Fern Porch" that Doug built; large, shady, and cool ...
 photo Afernporch1701_zps93783b06.jpg

photo Afernporch1703_zps40a31032.jpg

Irene keeps some of her Hoya collection on it ...
 photo AHoyacollection1822_zpsfb323fbc.jpg

Doug has a special place on it too. He not only builds -- he cooks! ...
 photo ADougsshack1709_zps8faeef45.jpg

See their "pet" cardinal? Doug puts seeds for it in the little bird cage. The bird knows and comes near them, but I had to hide to take the photo with a telephoto lens ...
 photo ACardinal1711_zpsc15dea4c.jpg

As we step off the fern porch we come upon one of several beautifully arranged flowering plant islands ...
 photo AIslandofflowersinpots1719_zps55e63b55.jpg

The other side of "Doug's shack" ...
 photo AothersideofDougsshack1809_zps382a69a5.jpg

Irene and Doug wasted no time in creating their own 'Green Door' after seeing it on the Texas Forum. Unfortunately there is a sign saying "No Admitance" and it was well guarded by serious looking gnomes so I didn't get to see what lurks "behind the green door" ...
 photo AGreendoor1724_zpsd1089bbe.jpg

Have you ever seen a LIVE bottle tree? ...
 photo Abottletree1744_zpse1466c61.jpg

After our last hard winter they thought it was dead and so decided to make a positive statement out of the bare limbs, but it surprised them by resurrecting ...
 photo Abottletree1797_zps09ec3159.jpg

I didn't even ask for a start of the "Inch Plant". I knew if they gave me an inch I'd take a mile ... ;-) The owl seems surprised! ...
 photo AInchplant1787_zps8540f2cd.jpg

I had no idea a pony tail palm would survive outside! Doug said the top suffered a little from last winter's hard freeze, but it still looks good to me ...
 photo APonytailpalm1726_zps1d55d822.jpg

Every where I looked there was a charming vignette of collected articles or things that Doug made such as this stork. Doug threw away the round piece of plywood from his Christmas train buildng project, but Irene found it and painted a coast scene on it ...
 photo ACoastalscene1770_zps3ac0338b.jpg

Irene wanted a head pot and this coconut fills the bill with a tropical flare ...
 photo AHeadpot1757_zps618daf10.jpg

The Madona corner. Irene beautifully refinished this found piece and planted a white garden around it ...
 photo AMadonna1717_zps495ccd57.jpg

Flamingos roam among their extensive Plumeria forest. The hard rains yesterday knocked most of the blooms off ...
 photo APlumeriaforrest1774_zpscbbf4acb.jpg

Doug made this planter out of a log and Irene planted it with succulents ...
 photo ALogplanter1780_zps9e8721d0.jpg

Now I know what I'm going to do with my chicken feeder -- exactly what Irene did with hers ... :-)
 photo AChickfeeder1747_zps2044bd01.jpg

If they get tired of this mask I know where I could hang it ... ;-)
 photo AMask1750_zpsab6cb948.jpg

Doug made this. Isn't it wonderful? ...
 photo ABurrocart1791_zps71a2b2c4.jpg

Doug built a large family room onto their house putting 3 large two way mirror picture windows. From outside it reflects the garden from about anywhere you stand ...
 photo ATwoWayMirrors1801_zps3c7527a8.jpg

From inside you have a beautiful garden scene. Part of my stash of plants sent home per Irene is on the right. Thank you Irene! ...
 photo Atwowaymirror1837_zps86fcccc4.jpg

Much appreciation Irene and Doug for a wonderful morning touring your garden. Plus I loved seeing Irene's oil paintings and the projects Doug has going on in his workshop. Those could be the subject of another post!

Truly: "Gardening (and crafts) is the joy in your heart, made visible."

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 19:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Touring 'sunnysa' Irene and Doug's arts and crafts garden ...

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 20:33

Very nice and artistic. What I like the most is the grill!

Omar

o

Omar, you must have been hungry when you looked at the pictures ... LOL !!!

o

Love it! everything about it.

o

Very nice. I have one question. Are there leaves growing in the bottles on the bottle tree?

o

Mara, yes. The exact same thing happened with my friend Linda's 'Dynamite' crape myrtle. She thought it was dead and made a bottle tree out of it. Then it 'exploded' with foliage inside the bottles ... LOL

Incidentally, my crape myrtle trees are also showing this color foliage, but they are blooming like this tree is getting ready to do. I'm thinking it's from a combination of caliche under a thin layer of soil and an exceptionally dry, cold winter. It seems as if the cambium layer was somehow damaged. I've fertilized, used fish emulsion, and alfalfa meal and see no change. Anybody have any ideas on how to help our trees to green up?

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 0:24

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 23:54

You might be right, Roselee (I'm always hungry) but is a very nice place to grill indeed!

Omar

o

We will be removing the bottles to see if it helps the little tree green up, but I'll be checking in to see on what to feed it.

Speaking of feeding, DH loves to grill at the drop of a hat. In fact, he had ribs going on the grill during Roselee's visit. Omar, you are welcome to drop by anytime that you're in town. You two can 'talk shop' and do some grilling, I'll let him know that you like the grill, 'best.' LOL

o

Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 11:40

Oh, now we are talking! Thanks, Irene.

Omar

o

LOVE the large windows reflecting the garden. Is that something that can be done to an existing window. Your garden is beautiful and just my style. Wish we were neighbors so I could walk around with you.

o

Irene, I think the bottles look good on the crape myrtle tree ... :-)

Yes, I wish we knew how to get our trees to green up. A couple of young ones looked so bad in late spring that I dug them up and put them in big pots. They are looking a tad bit better, but not much.

o

I like them also!
I have a lot of plants that are very *pale* this year

o

I like them also!
I have a lot of plants that are very *pale* this year

o

Thanks, everyone. I guess we could leave the bottles in place... It makes the neighbors wonder what we're up to! :-)

Backacre, Thanks for the compliments. DH says the windows were bought that way, but if you will be going to the Fall Swap, he can explain what he did. Hope to see you there!

o

I love everything here, but especially the fern porch - what a cool, green area for relaxing!

I also have a chicken feeder planted in sedum - but I don't have all those cute little chicks-on-a-stick to put in it! How cute!!!

o

Thanks BDW, we enjoy the porch, too. I always call it the 'porch' and DH corrects me. "It's not a porch... it's a deck!" Funny man.... but he built it so I 'let' him name it, lol. We spend a lot of our time sitting on the porch swing watching the cardinal and hummingbirds. I've attached a pic of our birdie having his breakfast this morning.

I found the little chicks at the dollar store, only it's not a true dollar store. These cost me $1.29 for a mama chicken and four baby chicks.

This post was edited by sunnysa on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here