Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Touring 'sunnysa' Irene and Doug's arts and crafts garden ...

Some wonderful hours were spent this morning touring Irene and Doug's beautiful garden.

We started out on what I called the "Fern Porch" that Doug built; large, shady, and cool ...
{{gwi:1328353}}

{{gwi:1328354}}

Irene keeps some of her Hoya collection on it ...
{{gwi:1328355}}

Doug has a special place on it too. He not only builds -- he cooks! ...
{{gwi:1328356}}

See their "pet" cardinal? Doug puts seeds for it in the little bird cage. The bird knows and comes near them, but I had to hide to take the photo with a telephoto lens ...
{{gwi:1328357}}

As we step off the fern porch we come upon one of several beautifully arranged flowering plant islands ...
{{gwi:1328360}}

The other side of "Doug's shack" ...
{{gwi:1328361}}

Irene and Doug wasted no time in creating their own 'Green Door' after seeing it on the Texas Forum. Unfortunately there is a sign saying "No Admitance" and it was well guarded by serious looking gnomes so I didn't get to see what lurks "behind the green door" ...
{{gwi:1328362}}

Have you ever seen a LIVE bottle tree? ...
{{gwi:1328363}}

After our last hard winter they thought it was dead and so decided to make a positive statement out of the bare limbs, but it surprised them by resurrecting ...
{{gwi:1328365}}

I didn't even ask for a start of the "Inch Plant". I knew if they gave me an inch I'd take a mile ... ;-) The owl seems surprised! ...
{{gwi:1328367}}

I had no idea a pony tail palm would survive outside! Doug said the top suffered a little from last winter's hard freeze, but it still looks good to me ...

Every where I looked there was a charming vignette of collected articles or things that Doug made such as this stork. Doug threw away the round piece of plywood from his Christmas train buildng project, but Irene found it and painted a coast scene on it ...
{{gwi:1328369}}

Irene wanted a head pot and this coconut fills the bill with a tropical flare ...
{{gwi:1328370}}

The Madona corner. Irene beautifully refinished this found piece and planted a white garden around it ...
{{gwi:1328371}}

Flamingos roam among their extensive Plumeria forest. The hard rains yesterday knocked most of the blooms off ...

Doug made this planter out of a log and Irene planted it with succulents ...
{{gwi:1328373}}

Now I know what I'm going to do with my chicken feeder -- exactly what Irene did with hers ... :-)

If they get tired of this mask I know where I could hang it ... ;-)
{{gwi:1328376}}

Doug made this. Isn't it wonderful? ...
{{gwi:1328377}}

Doug built a large family room onto their house putting 3 large two way mirror picture windows. From outside it reflects the garden from about anywhere you stand ...
{{gwi:1328378}}

From inside you have a beautiful garden scene. Part of my stash of plants sent home per Irene is on the right. Thank you Irene! ...
{{gwi:1328379}}

Much appreciation Irene and Doug for a wonderful morning touring your garden. Plus I loved seeing Irene's oil paintings and the projects Doug has going on in his workshop. Those could be the subject of another post!

Truly: "Gardening (and crafts) is the joy in your heart, made visible."

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 19:02

Comments (15)

• Vulture61
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice and artistic. What I like the most is the grill!

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Omar, you must have been hungry when you looked at the pictures ... LOL !!!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Love it! everything about it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Very nice. I have one question. Are there leaves growing in the bottles on the bottle tree?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mara, yes. The exact same thing happened with my friend Linda's 'Dynamite' crape myrtle. She thought it was dead and made a bottle tree out of it. Then it 'exploded' with foliage inside the bottles ... LOL

Incidentally, my crape myrtle trees are also showing this color foliage, but they are blooming like this tree is getting ready to do. I'm thinking it's from a combination of caliche under a thin layer of soil and an exceptionally dry, cold winter. It seems as if the cambium layer was somehow damaged. I've fertilized, used fish emulsion, and alfalfa meal and see no change. Anybody have any ideas on how to help our trees to green up?

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 0:24

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

You might be right, Roselee (I'm always hungry) but is a very nice place to grill indeed!

Omar

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

We will be removing the bottles to see if it helps the little tree green up, but I'll be checking in to see on what to feed it.

Speaking of feeding, DH loves to grill at the drop of a hat. In fact, he had ribs going on the grill during Roselee's visit. Omar, you are welcome to drop by anytime that you're in town. You two can 'talk shop' and do some grilling, I'll let him know that you like the grill, 'best.' LOL

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Oh, now we are talking! Thanks, Irene.

Omar

• backacre
    9 years ago

LOVE the large windows reflecting the garden. Is that something that can be done to an existing window. Your garden is beautiful and just my style. Wish we were neighbors so I could walk around with you.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Irene, I think the bottles look good on the crape myrtle tree ... :-)

Yes, I wish we knew how to get our trees to green up. A couple of young ones looked so bad in late spring that I dug them up and put them in big pots. They are looking a tad bit better, but not much.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I like them also!
    I have a lot of plants that are very *pale* this year

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I like them also!
    I have a lot of plants that are very *pale* this year

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I guess we could leave the bottles in place... It makes the neighbors wonder what we're up to! :-)

Backacre, Thanks for the compliments. DH says the windows were bought that way, but if you will be going to the Fall Swap, he can explain what he did. Hope to see you there!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    9 years ago

I love everything here, but especially the fern porch - what a cool, green area for relaxing!

I also have a chicken feeder planted in sedum - but I don't have all those cute little chicks-on-a-stick to put in it! How cute!!!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Thanks BDW, we enjoy the porch, too. I always call it the 'porch' and DH corrects me. "It's not a porch... it's a deck!" Funny man.... but he built it so I 'let' him name it, lol. We spend a lot of our time sitting on the porch swing watching the cardinal and hummingbirds. I've attached a pic of our birdie having his breakfast this morning.

I found the little chicks at the dollar store, only it's not a true dollar store. These cost me $1.29 for a mama chicken and four baby chicks.

This post was edited by sunnysa on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:03

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus