nectar source for small butterflies

and host plant for the nifty little Phaeon Crescent

Horseherb

Calyptocarpus vialis

Lanceleaf Coreopsis

Coreopsis lanceolata

This one is perennial but needs a little more water

so it had a rough summer in the wildflower patch

last year. So I was happy to see these come back.

This one is in a flower bed so I deadheaded it and it's on its second flush now.

Purple Coneflower

Echinacea purpurea

Silver Ponysfoot

Dichondra argentea

This was early AM and the flash went off because it was on automatic, so this really highlighted the silver color.

Texas Star Hibiscus

Hibiscus coccineus

This flower is probably 6" in diameter.

This does require water, I have it in the 'ball diamond' bed that gets water from the septic system

Hairy Spiderwort

Tradescantia hirsutiflora

Yellow Puff

Neptunia lutea

I love this little guy and try to encourage it wherever it pops up. I just think it's so cute!

Comments (14)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Thanks again for a peek at your wonderful plant collection. I've never seen the yellow puff before. I love little surprise pop up plants. Wish it would pop up here.

Love that Texas star hibiscus. It, or a close relative, is growing in full sun near the street at the corner of a church parking lot and I'd pretty much guarantee that it doesn't get ANY supplemental water and yet it has survived and bloomed for years. I'm going to try to get a picture of it sometime.

Thanks for posting!

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yellow puff seems to be native to a large part of Texas. I save seed and scatter it in the yard. If I get some this year I can share!

Teri

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Puff range

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Is Hairy Spiderwort normally considered a "weed"? Because I think it's what's "volunteering" in my yard and my parents' that my nephew picked as a flower for my mother.

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are a huge number of Tradescantias and I think it's pretty hard to differentiate most of them but the blooms are all very similar. I just happen to know what that one is because I got it at a native plant sale and it's leaves are hairy which I think is unusal in the genus, so it's pretty easy to be sure it's the right one.

I think some of them are quite good at 'volunteering.'

Teri

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Yes, please keep me in mind when the yellow puffs have some seeds. Thank you :-)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Thanks for the photos, Teri! Love it!

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Very nice, Teri. Phyla n. is a pain in the neck in my yard. Specially when it gets in the flowerbeds.

Omar

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If the frog fruit starts up in a bed, I just use that as mother plant and constantly cut off pieces and stick them in the ground elsewhere since it will root with little to no help. Anywhere else it's free to wander. We just mow it where it's in the lawn. But I'm a lot more about gardening for wildlife and using natives than anything else. We have a native grass lawn and don't irrigate it, so it's not a showplace to start with ;-)

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Interesting approach. I have a lot of wild plants too but I guess I'm still within the showplace approach. I like the natural look given by the natives but with certain limits. I guess that's one of the things that makes gardening such an interesting activity.

Omar

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I agree with you, Omar.............I love native plants, but still want to landscape with that which is pleasing to me and my eye. I have beds outside my bay window (where I spend time on the computer) that are arranged to please me as I look out. The different approaches to gardening is the reason it is so much fun and de-stressing. I garden for wildlife as well, but find I can do that and also do the "showcase" bit.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I had no idea how lovely silver pony foot was! Love that yellow coreopsis too!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I love my native ground covers. Who needs grass!. If you could collect some seed of the yellow puff, I would be interested in it also. I will send you a list of what I am collecting this year.

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should get seeds from the yellow puff unless the DH gets carried away and mows over it. I have it marked so hopefully that won't happen.

I also collected seed last weekend from some of my stuff, Salvia texana, columbines, engelmann's daisy come to mind but there might be others and will certainly be more later in the year, so anyone who is interested please let me know.

Teri

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I have seen Yellow Puff in the wild and it really looks nice when blooming. Snake Herb is a good native ground cover also.