Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

I built a small pergola

bossjim1
15 years ago

and I'm now building a two person, 4ft. porch swing to hang under it.

Jim

{{gwi:1328902}}

{{gwi:1328904}}

Comments (12)

• wilo
    15 years ago

I want one. But then, I want my back yard to look like yours.

very jealous here.

• rigo74
    15 years ago

Jim job well done, your backyard looks great too!

Rigo

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

Its getting so I have to be careful when I look at your pictures Jim.

If I'm not careful my wife will see and then I be out there trying to make a pile a wood look good. And that never turns out too well for me

Great results as always, Jim.

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

I was SO close to posting a plea for any pergolas you had done just a couple of days ago... Did you have any voices in your head asking you to build a pergola and post pictures???? If so, that was me!

We just finished our swimming pool and I have a grand vision of a pergola built across 3 stone (up 3 ft) and cedar pillars. But the trick is, I don't want it to be a straight line. I'll keep photos of yours for continued inspiration.

Do you have any favorite sources for pergola designs?

Once again, great work!

I'm with Wilo, can I have your back yard!?

PS Sorry, about the funky photo issue. I haven't used Photobucket in a while and I obviously need to learn which tag to use again!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all.

Nice pool, Bobbi! My granddaughter told me that if I didn't have so many flowers, I'd have room for a pool. Ha!

I Google plans for arbors, pergolas, and trellises all the time, but seldom find just what I want, so end up designing my own. I'm being loose with the word design because there's nothing written down or drawn out, just sleepless nights deciding just how to do it. I am using a set of purchased plans for the swing.
    Jim

• justintx
    15 years ago

Jim,
    You're handier than a shirt pocket! That will be a really relaxing place to sit and "swang".
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, J.D., it will be a nice place to 'swang',but was not part of my original plan. It is the result of a negotiated contractual obligation. When I wanted to expand the garden, the main obstacle was the grand kid's swing set. So while camping, during spring break, I approached them about getting rid of it. We immediately entered negotiations, the results of which were; 1. Papa will move the swing set to the grand daughters backyard; 2. Papa will give the grand son $75; 3. Papa will build a wooden swing here in the garden. The only concession I got from them, was, that the swing doesn't have to go high to the sky, it can be a lazy swing. I didn't realise that they would be such tough negotiators. I should have hired a lawyer! Ha!Ha!
    Jim

• justintx
    15 years ago

Yeah, like you were going to tell them, "NO"? LOL
    J.D.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Your garden structures are always inspirational -- as in I showed it to my hubby. (Hint hint) He liked it. :-) And of course it's nice to take a peek at the great garden surrounding your photo,too.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I want one. I've been dreaming of having one made for over a year now but I'm not handy at building and I sure don't how the know how.

OH BTW, Great job Jim

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Roselee. Lack of rain this year has made that new bed a challenge.

Thanks, Barb.
    Jim

• chickadee_42us
    15 years ago

Boss as usual - I am giving you props. You do such a good job.

Grandkids - send them to bobbi p's pool, it looks devine. I could laze the day floating on a raft there.