Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Gettin' braver with the paint brush ...

Inspired by the colors in the Lewis and Little gardens I've gotten really brave with the paint brush the last few days. It must be that the heat has gotten to me.

This pot I've had forever was painted. In fact I have three of them. Shall I do the others? Decisions, decisions -- then in a weak moment I just do it ...

Painted the pedestal. Notice the Hopi red amaranths. This annual plant loves the heat and grows fast ...

A friend passed along a garage sale find of old foam plastic pots. They were painted, planted with a variety of hanging plants and placed up on the old pigeon loft turned art gallery. Can hardly wait for the plants to grow and hang down ...

As you see the clay pipe pedestal was also painted ...

Nothing newly painted here, but the dark foliaged 'joy weed' from the SABG plant sale was placed among Margarita sweet potato vine ...

Arranged some things differently here using the little cheap plastic garage sale urns refinished to look like antique iron (hopefully :-) ...

My dear daughter-in-law found the blue and white pot for $2.00 at a garage sale ...

Canna pretoria with macho fern and friends in wash tub pot ...

This years combo of Lowes sale table crotons and Australia cannas turned out pretty good. Love how the canna keeps its dark color ...

Below is a link to the inspiration. Blame it on them ... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Little and Lewis Portfolia ...

Comments (15)

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Very pretty and good job! The paint brings out the details in the pots and the little urns do look like iron. The three should look good all painted up.

That blue and white pot is a great find, I should hit more garage sales since thrift shops and estate sales are getting so expensive.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

You did a great job Roselee! I agree with Shirley, the little pots do look like iron.

I love the contrast of dark leaves and brilliant green :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Shirley and Pam!

Shirley, those greenish pots were painted with three different colors. First the lime green base, then a light brushing of cobalt blue, them a little aqua smudged around to tone them down a bit. Believe it or not they ARE toned down ... LOL.

Pam, first I painted the little urns with black spray paint; the kind that stays on plastic that Jim told us about. Then two different rust colored paints were dabbed on with a wad of paper towel. Not that you asked, but in case anybody wonders ... :-)

• suebear
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I love the Canna and fern combination. Just getting ready to ask instructions on the iron urns and there they are. Thank you

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

The pots really look good! I especially like your "cast iron" urns. The tallest one is screaming out for a Victorian parlor and a Boston fern.

Jim

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Quote " first I painted the little urns with black spray paint; the kind that stays on plastic that Jim told us about. Then two different rust colored paints were dabbed on with a wad of paper towel. Not that you asked, but in case anybody wonders ... :-)'

I was wondering :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking Shebear and Jim. Yes, I thought about a fern in what actually is a bird bath, plus a Victorian parlor would really be nice. Where can I get one ... LOL.

Shebear and Pam, they sell paint kits to make things look rusty, but I needed a base coat that wouldn't flake off the smooth plastic. I got Rust-oleum 'Universal' in a hammered finish. It costs more, but covers thickly quickly, goes far and stays on. Then you can buy little jars of rust colored paint at Hobby Lobby to dab around.

The top of the iron bird bath is very old cast aluminum and regular spray paint peeled off, but the 'Universal' is staying on. Good stuff.

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

I was wondering too. I have lots of really cheap plastic pots that faded and got ugly quickly. Now I know what to do with them. Off to shop for Universal black plastic spray paint and some rusty colored paint. I'm impatient, so I may just use rusty spray paint too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynnmarie, yes -- that'll work, but if the pots are not shiny any latex paint will work. Whereever they sell paint you can often find returned cans on sale for a couple of dollars. Most of the time I use a base color and then lightly antique with another color, or for rust a little smattering of rust color. I painted an old galvanized tub medium blue, antiqued with a little grey, and put rusty spots down the seams and around the handles. The rust turned our pretty believable. Amazing how we now want things to look rusty!

• tdhg
    11 years ago

Oh I love your painting and your garden looks like it is should be in a magazine! How wonderful!

• ibheri
    11 years ago

Pretty! How do you water the pots on top of the cage loft?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tdhg, thank you so much for your comments! Getting the colors right, to my eye at least, is an on going project. This is the first cut and there is still some tinkering to do.

Indu, I do most of the watering with a wand that extends out to three feet. It's helpful in reaching the pots of bougainvilleas etc., and the pots up high on the pigeon loft. The pots up there are sitting on tiles so the pot bottom down is not on the wood. The wood is treated lumber so will last a long time, but it's best not to let it be constantly damp. Lava rock on top of the soil keeps it from splashing out and also acts as a mulch to keep the soil from drying out as fast. The cascading plants are rhipsallis which is an epiphyllum (cactus family) so it won't wilt if the soil gets dry. Patty passed them along to me :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Suebear, it just hit me that I said your name wrong. So sorry.

Incidentally, on more than one forum I've been addressed as "roseless". I think maybe the Universe is trying to tell me something ... LOL

• lesli8
    10 years ago

Hi Roselee, ;)
    What is the name of the canna with the dark leaves and what color are the flowers? I have a striped leafed one that has a very light pink flower, (*love* it)-- trade you a start for a start of the black leafed one ;)? I'll send you a picture

Lesli

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lesli! The dark leaved canna is Australia. It blooms repeatedly with dark red flowers. I'd love to trade it for a start of your striped foliage pink flowered one! I had it once, but lost it somewhere down the line.

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 13:19

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm