Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrie's Datmansias ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:13

Carrie recently shared these photos of her datmansias ...
 photo DDatmansiaJuly302014001_zps7b7f7acc.jpg

They are beautiful, but I had never heard of datmansia ...
 photo DDatmansiaJuly302014004_zpse836feca.jpg

They are a cross of datura x brugmansia ...
 photo DDatmansiaJuly302014005_zpsdb884380.jpg

A lady in Washington state hybridized these and sent Carrie four seeds for trial in Texas ...
 photo DDatmansiaJuly302014002_zpsd3264b27.jpg

The lady posted on the Network 54 brug forum as 'Karma Happy Toes'. What a cute name! Carrie says datmansias seed out very readily if you don't keep the seed pods cut off, but are easy to pull up when young. She says they usually come back every year from the roots except in a very cold winter, and that they would probably be perennials in San Antonio.

Carrie says she'll be back to posting on the Texas forums pretty soon. Yea! .... :-)

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrie's Datmansias ...

Just beautiful! And the garden seems so lush. So glad to hear both Carrie and datmansias are doing well. Looking forward to more.

o

Hi Carrie, those are some gorgeous blooms. They are so compact and tidy looking. That's really great that you got to try out those four seeds in Texas and that they did so well for you. Thanks for sharing the pics.

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 22:25

Awesome, Carrie. So, do the datmansias bloom during the night/early morning (like daturas) or during the day (like the brugs)?

Omar

o

When removing the seed pods or deadheading be careful of the sap from these plants as it can be toxic.

o

Nice ones.

o

They are lovely! Do bees love them as they do Datura? Do the leaves smell like Datura? Wondering because I love the big white trumpets but I'm allergic to datura but not to Brugmansia. Wondering....do they need water and fertilizer like a Brug or maybe less? Can't wait to learn more when Carrie is feeling better. No rush....c

o

So pretty! What time of day do they bloom? Lovely yard too. I'd like to see more of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here