Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage (Mostly)

Posted by bossjim1 z9 Alvin,TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 13:23

It's raining again today, so to relieve the boredom I downloaded some pictures. Here's a few.
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage (Mostly)

OMG!!!! Jim, all are sooooo beautiful but the second with your new ee is so stunning and the last with the crinum? is so very beautiful
Thank you so much for posting them.

o

Thank goodness for rainy days ... in more ways than one, since it induced you to share the gorgeous foliage and flower pictures. Incidentally, it's raining here too.

o

• Posted by wilo Central Texas - 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 14:47

In the first picture, is the taller thing Bear's Breeches?

I'm not as familiar with foliage plants. hmmm, wonder why. . .

o

Very nice, love the contrasts of color and texture.

What is the blue flower third up from the bottom?

o

And do tell us what the red one is second from the bottom, too. It looks like it may be a vine.

o

Thanks for looking.

Jolana, the ee is 'Mojito' and the crinum is 'Ellen Bosenquet'.

Wilo, the first picture is Rice paper plant.

Shirley, the blue is Blue Pendant ginger.

Roselee, the little red flower is Red Powder puff, Calliandra emarginata.
I promise that I'll start labeling as I post.
Jim

o

Beautiful Jim! I'll be looking for Mojito bulbs! Also, there's a local lady that makes concrete leaves from the rice paper plants that she grows, they are stunning! Is the red powder puff a vine?

Everything looks SO lush, it's just lovely.

Kristi

o

Thanks Jim. I think I saw Calliandra emarginata 'Red' growing at the San Antonio Zoo a few years ago. It was a shrub as the link below says Red poweder puff is. The zoo can grow some tropicals there in the warmer micro climate created by all the concrete and sheltering trees. Wish I could :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Red powder puff ...

o

Thank you Jim, you would have thought that I would've have remembered mojito after you told me, LOL

I got a pink crinum last year but it is a tiny thing, but was told the name was a lady's name, LOL

Someone with a memory worse than mine, hehehe

o

Very nice, Jim (as usual).

Omar

o

Just stunning! Love the rice paper plant and the mojito. Gotta find the mojito as this is my DW favorite drink.

Rigo74

o

Jim, your photos make me want to settle back with a mojito and just enjoy!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Lin

o

Thanks all. If I could, I'd send each of you a Mojito, but I'm afraid the ice would melt before you got it.
Jim

o

So beatiful. They all look very nice. Thanks for sharing.

o

pic #3 and#5?? lov the pics

o

The third picture is Nerve plant, (Fittonia albivenis), and Leopard plant, (Farfugium japonicum 'Aureomaculata').
The fifth picture is Giant Leopard plant, (Farfugium japonicum 'Gigantea').
Thanks for looking,
Jim

o

Always an uplifting experience to "walk" through your beautiful garden, Jim, thanks for sharing it with us.

o

Jim, you have such diverse plants. They all are just lovely but I really like the blue in the blue pendant ginger.
I always enjoy getting glimpses of your garden...very inspiring.

Betsy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here