Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a word about Pigeonberry

Posted by mrs.wiggley 8 Hill Country (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:04

I live on a property that is under wildlife management. I read about Pigeonberry in one of Sally Wasowski's books on native Texas gardening some time ago. It likes part shade and I had the perfect spot beneath a group of large live oaks. The only other thing that had grown under there (that was welcome) was some turkscap. So I purchased and spread some seed. After a few weeks I began to see that the seeds grew easily with steady but not particularly thorough watering and now it's abundant and requires no care at all.. It has a small pink flower head and super bright red berries, growing to be as tall as two feet but mostly staying staying under a foot high.. It is currently bursting with berries and the birds LOVE them! A perfect food for mid summer.
I'm highly recommending it to those who have wildscapes as it spreads pretty quickly and can't be contained. I just mow down any that pops up in the 'yard' or in unwanted places, and it's easy to control that way, but is not well behaved bedding plant by any means. It's not particularly showy either (kind of like turkscap) so is more for the critters. But in that regard it's a winner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brief description/photos of Pigeonberry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a word about Pigeonberry

I dearly love pigeonberry. Here are a bunch of photos taken several years ago. Some are major close-ups taken back when I was all excited about getting macros ... :-)

photo PigeonBerry1980.jpg

photo PigeonBerryUpClose.jpg

photo PigeonBerry1.jpg

photo PigeonBerry.jpg

I love their wavy leaves, plus one of the neat things about them is that you get flowers and berries at the same time. As you point out they grow easily in difficult conditions.

o

WONDERFUL PHOTOS! Thanks for sharing those. The plant seems somewhat petite and delicate and yet it's surprisingly hardy.

o

Perfect companion for Jewels of Opar and purple heart jew . I wish I had shade in my garden to grow them.

Omar

o

eww Omar, I wish I never heard of purple heart jew. It was here when we moved in 8 years ago and despite digging up as much of the roots as I can, it is still here, all over the place. It sprouts up here, then there and back here again. Ugh. Definitely a container plant! Beautiful with lime greens though for sure.

o

:D mkull, I only grow thugs because my soil is really poor. The beauty of that is that even thugs behave in poor soil. I have wandering jew in the ground and it pots and it is not invasive at all. I was even impressed with some very light colored jew my daughter took a picture of during her trip to Canary Islands, Spain.

Omar

o

Omar, if you have shade on the western side, you can grow pigeonberry in morning sun as long as you mulch it well & water it when it droops.

o

Thank you, Sylvia. I do have some shade but it's too dry for a regular plant. "Only thugs allowed" :D In that area I have variegated eleagnus, callicarpa, sage greigii and fall aster.

Omar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here