Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you can't see them...

Posted by mkull 8 SATX (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:51

then they can't see you right?

I found this Texas Spiny Lizard half-way burrowed under a rock in one of our beds today. I checked on it about 15 minutes later and it was in the same position. I tapped its tail and it twisted around, looked at me and bolted. I guess it thought it was in far enough to be protected :D

Shame on me for interrupting a wonderful siesta!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you can't see them...

they are beautiful lizards. Some of ours have green or almost turquoise colors on their sides.

Thanks for sharing and better you disturbing him than the neighbor's cat :-)

o

Awww ... he thinks he's safe, but hopefully learned a lesson on keeping that tail hidden from your handling him. Neat photo!

o

• Posted by mkull 8 SATX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 22:21

So this is interesting. I checked on the burrow later and it was completely covered over. Even the soil that was kicked onto the pavers was moved back, and the area scrubbed clean like nothing ever happened. I asked my wife why she covered it up and she had no idea what I was talking about. I did a little research and it turns out the female does just that. Digs a burrow in a sunny location, lays 8-30ish eggs, covers the burrow and never returns. The eggs hatch in 40-80ish days. I would have guessed they were ovoviviparous so it's pretty cool I think.

Hopefully there are eggs since it was covered back up. Typical male, gotta touch stuff we shouldn't. It chose a spot that's smack dab in the middle of a feral cat highway so I'm glad to see it made it that far.

o

It IS interesting! Wow, she was building a nest. My box turtles lay 3 to 5 eggs in shallow nests they scoop out and then cover over. Wanting to see the eggs hatch once I collected them and put them in a plastic container covered with net and left them in the warmth of the covered patio. Within a day ants had found and ruined them ... :-( So no more messing around with Mother Nature for me.

o

How neat. Those things are fast. Since I've been seeing them lately, I haven't seen as many anoles. And that is a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here