Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justintx_gw

RoundUp in the yard - The Sequel

justintx
16 years ago

Taking a break - here's what's happended so far.

Southeast corner bed

Retaining wall bed

Little bed in patio area (well someday it will be a patio)

Untouched bed - we'll get that one this evening.

Kitchen window bed - hummer paradise!

Compost and mulch - got the compost from the Denton landfill and the mulch (and some garden soil) busted bags from HD last night for 50 cents per bag!!

Will till it all in this evening when it cools down a little - with or without Jim's 'obelisk'. ; - )

J.D.

Comments (99)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Do you have any autumn sage?

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NO MEL, NO - I don't have any autumn sage and I WON'T TAKE ANY (when can I come pick it up?)
    J.D.

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought you'd like that Jim. DW's imagination isn't quite as, shall we say - vivid. All she sees is a pile of dead grass. BAH, pessimists, I'll have that water feature in there by next......decade, anyway!
    ; - )
    J.D.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Let me get some started for ya and I'll let you know when its ready. :)

I thought I was the only one who couldn't see that waterfall!
    I kept staring at the picture and finally gave up.

Silly question: is that retaining wall picture photo shopped?
    Something about it just doesn't look right to me....

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mel
    No, the picture isn't altered. Its just a bad example of retaining wall work. I'm going to have to match it on the corner beds and the retaining wall bed. Hopefully I can make it look as bad. ; - )

I really don't have room for anything else right now - I DO appreciate the offer, though. I'm poking fun at myself for not being able to turn down a free plant. Carrie and Kristi were holding some for me that I had forgotten about, and I didn't even have room to get everything in the ground that I had acquired. I have 3 butterfly bushes, bearded iris and a gardenia from cutting still sitting out there (my neighbor is building a bed for them).

J.D.

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

No room for plants? Where there is grass there is room.

:)

• melvalena
    16 years ago

About that that pic of your retaining wall bed: its the bed itself that looks odd to me.. like you copied that mulch stuff from another picture and pasted it in there. The pile looks odd. :)

I didn't notice anything wrong with the retaining wall itself.

I still have pots out in the driveway myself.. I'm keeping those plants barely alive. I need to just force myself to get out there and plunk 'em.

I suspect you're always gonna have some pots sitting around waiting.. So pick a spot to keep 'em, where you'll see 'em and be able to water easily.
    I step over mine every time I come and go.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

OR ---- you can simply do as I do ---- plunk, and move later. Sometimes, you will be surprised at how nice "plunking" can look. Also, some things may not grow as large as you think, others larger. Plunk and move --- that is my philosophy.

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'Plunk and Move' sounds like a football stategy. LOL

The bed up on the retaining wall is on a pretty good angle and I have it built up pretty good. I'll probably pull it down a little when the border is done.

n_i_t - please don't make me kill any more grass. ; - )

J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

If I remember correctly, while you were building beds, I said "DOUBLE THE SIZE." It would have been easier then than it will be when your driveway fills up with pots again. Ha!
    Your Bud,
    Jim

• carrie751
    16 years ago

JD, just give up --- you CANNOT win with Jim ----LOL.

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie, I'll just get Jim to get his happy, obelisk building hiney up here and give me a hand!
    ; - )
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Can't do it, J.D.

I can see it now. While I'm enlarging your beds, you'd be "playing golf", then at night you would expect me to come bail your cypress snatching hiney out of jail.
    Your Bud,
    Jim

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ole, bud,
    I'm going to break down and get on one of those borders in the a.m. I have the concrete, rebar, and mortar. When it gets hot, I'll take a break and go pick up the rock while the concrete sets up. Maybe I can lay some rock in the next few evenings.
    J.D.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

ummm JD....

how's it going? You get stuck in the concrete while it was setting up?

Melvalena

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wellllllllllll, my brug is putting on buds, I killed a rose, got the rocks for the waterfall, but still looking at the footer I dug for the retaining wall bed. I did find the best deal on rock though (borders, etc) at Weatherford. Bought the cavitated limestone at Ardmore, OK for the waterfall. It is going to be way cool ------ if I ever get around to it.
    ; - )
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Here you go!

• justintx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know.....ole Bud,,,,,,,, I KNEW you were going to do that! LOL
    Must confess, I have it coming.
    ; - )
    j.d.

• kathylue
    15 years ago

I sprayed Roundup on my brick driveway and accidentally sprayed my Yucca! I wiped it off with a damp paper towel. Am I going to see a dead Yucca in a couple of days?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Yuccas are pretty tough so since you wiped it off probably not. I'd go ahead and rinse the spot real well with running water.

When I accidently get a weed killer on the leaf of a plant where it was not intended I just pinch off the leaf, but with a yucca that would not be easy.

Let us know how it does.

• melvalena
    15 years ago

JD, Is that waterfall done yet?

• justintx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No - don't have the waterfall done yet, but the 'budget director' gave me an AFE!! I'm 'gittin' the patio, too!! No pergola, though - just wouldn't look right. May just have to use an umbrella or wait a few more years until some of these trees grow up.

I'll post some pictures as soon as it gets done. I have some of my borders rocked, but I'm holding off on the ones next to the house until the patio is done so I can match it up and not do double work.

Won't be long now!!!

J.D.

• melvalena
    15 years ago

I can't wait to see it all!!

BTW what is AFE? Hubby and I came up with several possibilities but none of them seem quite right.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Are you still moving, Mel???

• melvalena
    15 years ago

We're still hoping to!!! We found the house we want.. but ran into difficulty selling ours due to a crazy neighbor...
    (spit-cuss-spit-cuss) We've put up with her for over 20 years now.

We took the house off the market and then I got REAL mad! I then got the city involved and some of the issues were fixed immediately: They came and hauled off 2 truck loads of the trash on her front porch and along her side yard and had the fire dept come unscrew the bulb in a commercial security light that has shone 24/7 into my bedroom for YEARS!!! Of course she was not happy about any of it and she had all kinds of names to call me through the all day process the city people went through to get it cleaned up. I sure hope they charged her for all that work!

I'm still waiting to see if she fixes the rest of the stuff the city told her to fix. (new garage door, remove, replace and repaint the rotten wood on her house) I'm not holding my breath for that.

Our house goes back on the market in a few weeks.. in the mean time, we're putting in granite counters and I'm still out there working on my flower beds!

We're just hoping no one buys the house we want, so far no one has.

• justintx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mel,
    AFE = Authorization For Expenditure
    Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble selling. Maybe getting rid of the eye sore next door will do the trick - but then, maybe you won't feel the same need to relocate now that the nuisance is removed! In any event, I hope ya'll can get what you really want.
    J.D.

• melvalena
    15 years ago

Thanks JD! We were stumped trying to figure out that one.

Even with the place next door cleaned up we still are ready to move on. Even if the messy crazy one is removed, we still feel the need to move on.

I'm past ready to move!

• carrie751
    15 years ago

I hope it all works out for you, Mel !!!!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

JD!!!
    This thread is on page 10!! We can't let it die.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I agree, Mel, these were such fun times !!!

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I suppose things have changed a bit. It is amazing how things have grown in just 2 short years!! Now I'm ready for winter to be OVER!!!!

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Lookin' good Justin!

It is amazing how much a yard can change in two years sometimes.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I will second the "ready for winter to be over" !!! Looking ever so good there, JD.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Wow!!! Your yard looks FAN-TAS-TIC!!! And yes -- you've done so much in such a short time. You were a man with a mission and I'd say "Mission Accomplished". Congratulations! (Although we never really get finished, do we? :-)

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Roselee. And, no, we DON'T ever get 'finished' do we!?!? LOL
    Carrie is 'making' me plant some new stuff this year around the waterfall.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

My "POWERS OF CONTROL" never cease to amaze me !!!!

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

They are amazing, LOL

JD, I can't tell you how proud of you we are
    It is amazing what you have done in such a short time

I wish I had taken before and after pics. Although, we know there was nothing but hollies and trees here, lol
    It is a good thing hardest part, HA is done because my gid'up is going,maybe gone, lol

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, Jolana.
    You guys give me so many ideas (and plants). Your landscapes and gardens are always an inspiration to me. I know ya'll understand the feeling of watching your labor mature and bloom - literally. I'm so looking forward to growing season this year.

• carla morey
    14 years ago

WOW, that doesn't even look like the same yard!! You should be very proud and very happy, your hard work has really paid off (I can tell by the smile on that little dog's face). Well done.

Carla in Rowlett

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Carla - no,,, it doesn't look like the same yard - as I look back. It is truly amazing how much more soothing and serene it feels back there with the plants maturing and buffering the fence etc. As for the smile on Peanut's face - probably because she knows she only weighs 4 lbs and can order around all of these humans. She didn't help one bit with the backyard!! ;-)
    J.D.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Oh, JD, she gave moral support ...............

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah, Carrie, about from the same position as in that picture!!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I'm just glad JD didn't tell us a whopper about how the dog helped!

• carrie751
    14 years ago

You mean like digging holes for planting, etc????

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm slipping.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

:) It happens JD.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

It was so fun to re read this thread!

Its back on page 10 and I wanted to re read it before it fell off.

hmmm gotta find a way to save the whole thing..

anyone know how?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

We did have fun with this one.............I miss having JD around.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Bringing it back up. See Conversations thread

Here is a link that might be useful: What year is it ....... who am I?

This post was edited by roselee on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 12:39

• melvalena
    9 years ago

I'm glad you brought it back up.. Was fun to re read it.