Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RoundUp in the yard - The Sequel

Posted by justintx 7B-NorthFt.Worth (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 18:07

Taking a break - here's what's happended so far.
Southeast corner bed

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Retaining wall bed

Little bed in patio area (well someday it will be a patio)

Untouched bed - we'll get that one this evening.

Kitchen window bed - hummer paradise!

Compost and mulch - got the compost from the Denton landfill and the mulch (and some garden soil) busted bags from HD last night for 50 cents per bag!!

Will till it all in this evening when it cools down a little - with or without Jim's 'obelisk'. ; - )

J.D.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RoundUp in the yard - The Sequel

Well J.D., even I am convinced. I do believe that you are going to build some flower beds. Three cheers for J.D.!
Jim

o

Great job JD :). You're making some great progress!

Kristi

o

WOW, Your working up a storm there. Will be watching to see how it evolves.

o

Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray
Hip Hip Hooray

o

Thanks, guys. It feels SO good to FINALLY get this going!! I'm planning on rock borders, so it may be a while before the 'final' pictures come out. Hopefully I can get everything planted by noon tomorrow - before any more rain starts.

J.D.

o

Now that you have done it AND you party to this list.....those beds are going to be 2x the size by next year this time....you will be adding rosemary and other evergreen stuff. A wonderful start, though. And by following your anticipation, I picked up some great Round-Up tips such as the paint roller idea. Thank you!

o

Leave room for a few of these I have set aside for you:

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird bush

o

Mel,
I'm glad you reminded me!! I totally forgot those. I'll try to email you for the best time/place.

I'll be planting tomorrow (if I don't get anymore delays).

J.D.

o

JD. I need to be up towards your neck of the woods in the morning anyway... I could save you a trip down this way.

o

Glad to see you finally put that Roundup bottle to work! Keep posting pictures of your progress!

o

I'm going through the same thing as you, JD, and I must admit that I agree with RedGeranium -- those flowerbeds will be twice the size by next year! At least!

Well done!!

Carla in Rowlett

o

I got to meet Mrs JD today!!!

Now she's even more worried about this 'gardenthing' her hubby is spending all his time on.

Hey JD!!! is it done yet???

o

Mel, were those pictures really from his house, or is one of his neighbors putting in beds?
Jim

o

Jim, I'm not really sure... You see I didn't get to actually see his yard. We met close to Carrie's house since we both knew where that is.

Now you got me wondering!

But I can say, he was moving slow. So I suspect he really has been out working in his yard putting in those beds.

o

HAHAHA

How long after spraying Round Up til you can plant

o

Jolana - 'How long after spraying Round Up til you can plant?' Bottle says 1 day for flowers, ornamentals, trees & shrubs. 3 days for lawn grass.

Of course it can take months to get that first application down (personal experience). ; - )

mel / jim - got started @ 10:00 a.m. (thanks mel). Finished digging one bed down a little to make room for compost and put down another yard of compost then tilled every bed multiple times. I must say, 'its looking good'!
Have to think my Dad had to be watching - he would have loved turning that clay black with compost.

Planted one large datura, passion vine, and 8 amaryllis bulbs (a new next door neighbor gave me - I can't say no). I have no idea what to do with amaryllis. I just know they are beautiful.

Tomorrow - plant everything else. Buy rock for borders and start same - time (and body) permitting. I haven't been this physically tired in a LONG, LONG, time - but it feels gooooood!!

J.D.

o

Yeah!!! AND HE'S OFF LIKE A SHOT! Good job! That's a lot of compost! PJ

o

I cannot believe you guys were that close to my house, and did not come by to say "hey". What's up with that????
You could have passed judgement on my larger entryway onto Lonesome Dove. Besides, JD, there are still plants here with your name on them, so don't get those beds too full.

o

Carrie - I thought you were out this week. Guess I got my days mixed up (can't sleep right now - thinking about landscape lighting, drip irrigation, blue atlas cedars, etc) I talked mel out of it - my bad.

More plants? Ya'll are going to FORCE me to expand!! LOL
j.d.

o

Carrie, we didn't want to just drop in on ya, but I did drive by and wave. (twice) I was out looking around at places up by you.

JD, you don't have to do anything with the amaryllis 'cept plop 'em in the ground. They take care of themselves.
I'd suggest you take a day off to rest, but then you might not get going again for a while..better to keep moving until yer done. :)

o

Oh, but your never done!
Jim

o
One More Time

Can I try that again?

Oh, but YOU'RE never done!
Jim

o

I don't know ----- if you stick a fork in my right now, I think I would be WELL done!! Couldn't hardly roll out of bed this a.m. Got started around 11:00 dry setting then planting. Little over half is in - got hot. Came in here to defend myself (like THAT would do any good, huh?) ; - )

loonie / red g - the next round of expansion well involve some extra (paid if needed) help. I truly am limited on how much more I can turn into beds. I have to be careful for drainage through my backyard.

BTW if ya'll hear anything about Honeysuckle Drive in Justin losing their phone service - it wasn't me ( I hope that cable was a dead line).

J.D.

o

Jim, he should learn like the rest of us did: slowly it dawns on us that we truly are never done, and when we think we are...well.. we start all over again. :)

JD.. call me... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I once had to pay a sprinkler co several $100 to trouble shoot issues... they found the problem all right.

I had installed an arch..one of the support poles went right through the sprinkler system line. :( no wonder it wouldn't work!
I told hubby the trouble was caused by that elect strike that took out our FiOS. (phone, Internet and tv).
But we needed to have some heads replaces and adjusted anyway so it was a good thing in the end.

o

JD, you have a short memory ------LOL. I WAS here Wednesday and Thursday -------those were the two days I tried to get you to come over for donkey poop!!!!
mel, did you find anything out my way?????????

o

Dang J.D., you turned down free donkey poop?
Jim

o

JD, join the crowd ... I shoveled clean through my Comcast cable wire last fall. Truly, I pulled the shovel out of the hole I was digging and said "Hmmm, was that the cable wire??" Luckily Comcast sent a technician out the very next day and it didn't cost me anything. I pray that I never find the electrical line!!

Carla in Rowlett

o

Carrie, I saw several wonderful places... but nothing worth forcing Hubby to drive out there and look at them just yet.
I used to work out there cleaning houses, like 25 years ago when The Woodlands were brand spanking new... its really changed and looks so much better now that its matured.

Now I see why JD didn't want to meet at your house. :) He couldn't face the donkey doo. HAHAHAHAHA
(well that, and not wanting to just drop in unannounced either)

o

Well, at last, they're all in - except the 2 Velma Royal crape myrtles and the new Cedrus atlanticus 'glauca' (you have to say it that way on the 'conifers' forum). DW can't believe I bought another tree. But, hey, they were half price - so I bought 2!! Actually, the other one is for a friend.

I'm beginning to think I'll hire the borders done. I'm beat. Yep, even too beat for free donkey dookey.

BTW, loonie, I never confessed to cutting that line - it just showed up in the hole for the datura. Nobody lost any phone service. Must have been a dead line (well it is NOW anyway). Besides, it wasn't even 2 inches deep.

J.D.

o

JD wrote:
I'm beginning to think I'll hire the borders done. I'm beat.

WUSS

o

J.D., all the ladies who read this thread, have built and bordered their beds, usually by themselves, and your going to hire the borders done? Hey, you have the hard part done. Just take a break and you'll reconsider. BTW, gardening is a lot harder work than thinking about gardening, isn't it?
Your Bud,
Jim

o

JD I'm so proud of you...I was so excited to see the pictures when you posted them. Great progress! I know how you feel - I'm young but have titanium rods in both my femurs from a car wreck when I was 21...I love doing the work, but my body definaly gets me moving awful slow after a day or so of hard work!

Lookin Great!
Angie

o

HMMMMM.
Either JD can't move or he's still out in the yard working.

I wonder which it is.

o

JD - Yeah, the phone company doesn't bury those phone lines very deep. They had to come out to replace the line from our house to the phone stump in the alley last year and they used this blade thing attached to a long handle - not a shovel, but looked like something for scraping flooring up. Anyway, I am glad I saw where they put that thing because they only sliced into the ground about 3 inches or so, but it was just a few inches from our driveway - not where I am going to be planting anything. I worry more about hitting things like electrical or gas lines. I have put a hole in the sprinkler system pipe before, but that was easy for us to fix.

Anyway, I am glad to see you are making progress. Don't try to do it all at once. Just do a little bit at a time, especially in this heat. I don't do any gardening or lawn work when it is hot. I wait until after dinner or first thing in the morning, but don't stay out too late in the morning. Those stones are heavy, so be sure you move them so you don't hurt your back. We just finished some stone edging - started back in April and finally finished last weekend. Oh, but we're not done. That was just the outside perimeter. Now we have to start putting stone down on the inside perimeter. Maybe we'll be done by Christmas. Anyway, good luck with your new flowerbeds. I know you'll get them done.

o

I'm beginning to think I'll hire the borders done. I'm beat. LOL, I don't even know what to say to that one

Kudos for doing as much as you have , can't wait to see pics

o

As Bette Davis said, "getting old is not for sissies" --- I would like to add, neither is gardening !!!!!!

o

-O- (fingers in ears) na,na,na,na,na, I can't hear you , I can't hear you, na,na,na,na,na.
J.D.

o

I talked to the last cable guy that re-buried lines in my back yard (I have a box that serves 4 houses there) and they are not allowed to bury the lines more than 4-6" down. Ridiculous!! I hit my neighbors cable/phone/internet line on Memorial Day during one of the Spurs finals. I had the lines marked and they were off by about a foot, retards.
I had the gas and electric lines marked too but that guy said those lines are required to be 3' underground. The bad news is that they don't know how much the homebuilders change that depth when they finish the lot. Oh and they don't always put them in the required easement areas either. My neighbor had his marked before they put in their pool, they marked them along the edge of his yard in the easement. Turns out the gas line was running straight through the center of the yard, bulldozer hit that one dead on. My final verdict, it's a crap shoot so just keep on diggin'!

o

Mich - Thankfully, most of the digging is done - maybe a little for the borders.

Jolana - I'll post pictures when I get the borders in. It looks kinda 'crappy' right now. I have stuff pretty well spaced out (for the most part). I didn't want to make the thread, "why are some people so stupid" (again). ; - )

Carrie - I must confess, this turned out to be a much bigger project than I had imagined.

Denise - I saw them use that tool to bury my FIOS line. They can set it 6" deep if they want to. My yard was very soft when they set mine. I pointed out where my 'beds to be' were and they went around.

Angie - these 48 yr old knees don't want to cooperate sometimes, but it has been gratifying to 'git r done'.

mel - well, you're partially right - I couldn't much move after Friday - so I went fishing!! Since your DH hasn't loaned me his bass boat, I had to go striper fishing. ; - )

Jim, ole bud, you're right. I'm a little more rested now, but I've run out of vacation (for now). I guess this will be the evening project for the next 2 or 3................ years. ; - )

J.D.

o

JD!!!! WOW you can reach your ears! That's pretty good. I see you can type on the keyboard now too...!!!

I'm so glad you're not in traction in the hospital hooked up to a morphine drip.

You just have to keep moving. It'll stop hurting before you know it.

Hubby sold MY bass boat one weekend while I was out of town.
He won't let me buy another one or we'd be out there right now! It's been years since I actually went fishing.

Carrie, yer right. Nothing I do is for sissies. But I'm gonna keep on keeping on. My mama told me years ago to never stop, cuz I'd never get going again if I did.

When we've had cable guys out here to fix things...you know how it goes.. well we had plans to put in a concrete pad to park a trailer on right over where the lines come to the house from the alley. I tried to get them to not run the lines there. I told 'em to run them along the fence and cut back to house at a certain point so it wouldn't interfere with the pad or my digging in the garden beds there. They refused. They told me to do what I needed/wanted and call them if we broke a line! Jerks! I wasn't asking for much..really just run the line a few feet (like 5) the other side. But NOOOO.. they had to make a beeline from the alley to the box on the house even though my way was a lot neater and made more sense, and would insure no one would ever cut into their lines ever again cuz we'd know exactly where they were.
I don't get it.

o

OH, JD, if it were only the next 2/3 years ------LOL. It is an ongoing project --- you know, work in progress ---- FOREVER. You'll get used to it. Like Mel said, we have to just keep on keepin on !!!! But you will have to admit, it is fun, and so rewarding to see the progress -- and when they all bloom for you ----WOW!!!!!

o

Speaking of progress, where's the pictures?
Your bud,
Jim

o

Ole' bud,
I'll take some tomorrow. Without the borders, it looks kinda like some novice gardener 'plunked' a bunch of stuff in the yard.

I sincerely appreciate your concern. ; - )

J.D.

o

I thought I'd try the slide show.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow of backyard beds

o

Very good, J.D.! You're off to a good start.
Jim

o

I am impressed, JD --- good job!! HOWEVER, I see room for so many more beds and plants ---- don't stop now !!!!

o

Looks great! Your hummers are going to just love you and your yard. What's left of your grass looks good too. :)

o

I must confess, I'm thinking about bringing the bed down from on top of the retaining wall. When I build the borders, I'll just incorporate it. BUT THAT IS ALL !! (for now) So don't try to goad me into anything else. ; - )

Thanks for your support:
Carrie - 2 crossvine, 1 passion vine, black & blue salvia, turk's cap, 1 flame acanthus, some kind of rose (are you surprised I can't remember?), and gaura.

Jolana - 1 flame acanthus
Kristi - daylily (and a bunch I never picked up)
mel - 2 flame acanthus
Kathy - blue, purple, and white iris
There's a mexican fan palm planted from seed too - don't know who donated that to Carrie who gave me the seed.

BTW, here's the waterfall

and the retaining wall bed (it didn't get into the slideshow)

J.D.

o

Nice waterfall. I can almost hear it from here.
Jim

o

Do you have any autumn sage?

o

NO MEL, NO - I don't have any autumn sage and I WON'T TAKE ANY (when can I come pick it up?)
J.D.

o
Waterfall

I thought you'd like that Jim. DW's imagination isn't quite as, shall we say - vivid. All she sees is a pile of dead grass. BAH, pessimists, I'll have that water feature in there by next......decade, anyway!
; - )
J.D.

o

Let me get some started for ya and I'll let you know when its ready. :)

I thought I was the only one who couldn't see that waterfall!
I kept staring at the picture and finally gave up.

Silly question: is that retaining wall picture photo shopped?
Something about it just doesn't look right to me....

o

mel
No, the picture isn't altered. Its just a bad example of retaining wall work. I'm going to have to match it on the corner beds and the retaining wall bed. Hopefully I can make it look as bad. ; - )

I really don't have room for anything else right now - I DO appreciate the offer, though. I'm poking fun at myself for not being able to turn down a free plant. Carrie and Kristi were holding some for me that I had forgotten about, and I didn't even have room to get everything in the ground that I had acquired. I have 3 butterfly bushes, bearded iris and a gardenia from cutting still sitting out there (my neighbor is building a bed for them).

J.D.

o

No room for plants? Where there is grass there is room.

:)

o

About that that pic of your retaining wall bed: its the bed itself that looks odd to me.. like you copied that mulch stuff from another picture and pasted it in there. The pile looks odd. :)

I didn't notice anything wrong with the retaining wall itself.

I still have pots out in the driveway myself.. I'm keeping those plants barely alive. I need to just force myself to get out there and plunk 'em.

I suspect you're always gonna have some pots sitting around waiting.. So pick a spot to keep 'em, where you'll see 'em and be able to water easily.
I step over mine every time I come and go.

o

OR ---- you can simply do as I do ---- plunk, and move later. Sometimes, you will be surprised at how nice "plunking" can look. Also, some things may not grow as large as you think, others larger. Plunk and move --- that is my philosophy.

o

'Plunk and Move' sounds like a football stategy. LOL

The bed up on the retaining wall is on a pretty good angle and I have it built up pretty good. I'll probably pull it down a little when the border is done.

n_i_t - please don't make me kill any more grass. ; - )

J.D.

o

If I remember correctly, while you were building beds, I said "DOUBLE THE SIZE." It would have been easier then than it will be when your driveway fills up with pots again. Ha!
Your Bud,
Jim

o

JD, just give up --- you CANNOT win with Jim ----LOL.

o

Carrie, I'll just get Jim to get his happy, obelisk building hiney up here and give me a hand!
; - )
J.D.

o

Can't do it, J.D.

I can see it now. While I'm enlarging your beds, you'd be "playing golf", then at night you would expect me to come bail your cypress snatching hiney out of jail.
Your Bud,
Jim

o

ole, bud,
I'm going to break down and get on one of those borders in the a.m. I have the concrete, rebar, and mortar. When it gets hot, I'll take a break and go pick up the rock while the concrete sets up. Maybe I can lay some rock in the next few evenings.
J.D.

o

ummm JD....

how's it going? You get stuck in the concrete while it was setting up?

Melvalena

o

wellllllllllll, my brug is putting on buds, I killed a rose, got the rocks for the waterfall, but still looking at the footer I dug for the retaining wall bed. I did find the best deal on rock though (borders, etc) at Weatherford. Bought the cavitated limestone at Ardmore, OK for the waterfall. It is going to be way cool ------ if I ever get around to it.
; - )
J.D.

o

Here you go!

o

You know.....ole Bud,,,,,,,, I KNEW you were going to do that! LOL
Must confess, I have it coming.
; - )
j.d.

o

I sprayed Roundup on my brick driveway and accidentally sprayed my Yucca! I wiped it off with a damp paper towel. Am I going to see a dead Yucca in a couple of days?

o

Yuccas are pretty tough so since you wiped it off probably not. I'd go ahead and rinse the spot real well with running water.

When I accidently get a weed killer on the leaf of a plant where it was not intended I just pinch off the leaf, but with a yucca that would not be easy.

Let us know how it does.

o

JD, Is that waterfall done yet?

o

No - don't have the waterfall done yet, but the 'budget director' gave me an AFE!! I'm 'gittin' the patio, too!! No pergola, though - just wouldn't look right. May just have to use an umbrella or wait a few more years until some of these trees grow up.

I'll post some pictures as soon as it gets done. I have some of my borders rocked, but I'm holding off on the ones next to the house until the patio is done so I can match it up and not do double work.

Won't be long now!!!

J.D.

o

I can't wait to see it all!!

BTW what is AFE? Hubby and I came up with several possibilities but none of them seem quite right.

o

Are you still moving, Mel???

o

We're still hoping to!!! We found the house we want.. but ran into difficulty selling ours due to a crazy neighbor...
(spit-cuss-spit-cuss) We've put up with her for over 20 years now.

We took the house off the market and then I got REAL mad! I then got the city involved and some of the issues were fixed immediately: They came and hauled off 2 truck loads of the trash on her front porch and along her side yard and had the fire dept come unscrew the bulb in a commercial security light that has shone 24/7 into my bedroom for YEARS!!! Of course she was not happy about any of it and she had all kinds of names to call me through the all day process the city people went through to get it cleaned up. I sure hope they charged her for all that work!

I'm still waiting to see if she fixes the rest of the stuff the city told her to fix. (new garage door, remove, replace and repaint the rotten wood on her house) I'm not holding my breath for that.

Our house goes back on the market in a few weeks.. in the mean time, we're putting in granite counters and I'm still out there working on my flower beds!

We're just hoping no one buys the house we want, so far no one has.

o

mel,
AFE = Authorization For Expenditure
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble selling. Maybe getting rid of the eye sore next door will do the trick - but then, maybe you won't feel the same need to relocate now that the nuisance is removed! In any event, I hope ya'll can get what you really want.
J.D.

o

Thanks JD! We were stumped trying to figure out that one.

Even with the place next door cleaned up we still are ready to move on. Even if the messy crazy one is removed, we still feel the need to move on.

I'm past ready to move!

o

I hope it all works out for you, Mel !!!!

o

JD!!!
This thread is on page 10!! We can't let it die.

o

I agree, Mel, these were such fun times !!!

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I suppose things have changed a bit. It is amazing how things have grown in just 2 short years!! Now I'm ready for winter to be OVER!!!!

o

Lookin' good Justin!

It is amazing how much a yard can change in two years sometimes.

o

I will second the "ready for winter to be over" !!! Looking ever so good there, JD.

o

Wow!!! Your yard looks FAN-TAS-TIC!!! And yes -- you've done so much in such a short time. You were a man with a mission and I'd say "Mission Accomplished". Congratulations! (Although we never really get finished, do we? :-)

o

Thanks Roselee. And, no, we DON'T ever get 'finished' do we!?!? LOL
Carrie is 'making' me plant some new stuff this year around the waterfall.

o

My "POWERS OF CONTROL" never cease to amaze me !!!!

o

They are amazing, LOL

JD, I can't tell you how proud of you we are
It is amazing what you have done in such a short time

I wish I had taken before and after pics. Although, we know there was nothing but hollies and trees here, lol
It is a good thing hardest part, HA is done because my gid'up is going,maybe gone, lol

o

thanks, Jolana.
You guys give me so many ideas (and plants). Your landscapes and gardens are always an inspiration to me. I know ya'll understand the feeling of watching your labor mature and bloom - literally. I'm so looking forward to growing season this year.

o

WOW, that doesn't even look like the same yard!! You should be very proud and very happy, your hard work has really paid off (I can tell by the smile on that little dog's face). Well done.

Carla in Rowlett

o

Hey Carla - no,,, it doesn't look like the same yard - as I look back. It is truly amazing how much more soothing and serene it feels back there with the plants maturing and buffering the fence etc. As for the smile on Peanut's face - probably because she knows she only weighs 4 lbs and can order around all of these humans. She didn't help one bit with the backyard!! ;-)
J.D.

o

Oh, JD, she gave moral support ...............

o

yeah, Carrie, about from the same position as in that picture!!

o

I'm just glad JD didn't tell us a whopper about how the dog helped!

o

You mean like digging holes for planting, etc????

o

I'm slipping.

o

:) It happens JD.

o

It was so fun to re read this thread!

Its back on page 10 and I wanted to re read it before it fell off.

hmmm gotta find a way to save the whole thing..

anyone know how?

o

We did have fun with this one.............I miss having JD around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here