Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Summer whites ...

I was looking around early this morning as I strolled the garden coffee cup in hand and thinking how much I enjoy the whites in my garden.

The showiest whites right now are the Philippine lilies from which you can catch a nice fragrance if you're downwind ...

The white orchid tree has been blooming for weeks and have a few more weeks to go. The flowers are as big as my hand, but last only a day to be followed by another bud opening from the cluster. It's more of a shrub with a graceful wide spread than a tree ...

It's hard to get a good photo of Acoma crape myrtles white blooms ...

My friend and neighbor Georgianne gave me this Bridal veil wandering jew. She says it's easy to pull out where you don't want it. So far I'm really enjoying its refreshing green color and dainty white blooms. We'll see by fall if I'm sorry I planted it ...

The white strawberry pot planted with moss rose is putting on a show ...

Not quite faded all the way to white, but close enough is dew covered Morden blush leaning towards equally dew decorated Fanick's phlox ...

Perhaps the statue will qualify as a white, but what I really wanted to show you is the Hopi red amaranth in the foreground that makes such a nice summer addition to the garden. Jolana gave me the seeds for which I'll ever be grateful ...

Here's another photo of it. Also am happy to announce that I found a replacement glass globe for the little bird garden ornament that got broken ...

Ending with a photo of my constant garden companion, Sport. He qualifies as white -- right? :-)

Comments (15)

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Hi Sport!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy, did you know dogs love grubs? At least my dogs do. I was digging one day and came across several so laid them out on the patio in a little dish to give to the turtles. Before I knew what was happening Sport ran over and gobbled them up! Max can hear them under ground and digs them up. I'm glad to get rid of them, but not happy about the little holes he leaves.

You never know what you're going to learn on these forums ... LOL

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Beautiful indian lilly..I want to trade for Sport next plantswap.What will you take for this sweet critter.

I found the bridal veil to be a constant spreader and even though it is easy at the beginning yo pull out, once established and making a mass of intertwined stolons, that break easily and sprout from itty bitty pieces, iy becomes much harder to irradiate. Some consider it invasive. I did like it and my neighbor liked it but it did take over large areas in both of our yards. It grows well in dry shade and clay.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mara. I may rue the day I planted it, but it's in an area that's enclosed so maybe, just maybe, the spread will be controlled. I'm getting where I don't like the idea of cleaning up a bunch of dead foliage every winter though.

I just watched this video on The Whimsical Gardener blog. It's so good for gardeners to know that I'm linking it here. BTW, on the subject of the video I painted a pot four times today and still haven't got it right. So keep trying. That's the point of her blog. Also I love how she says you don't really know a plant until you kill it three times!

http://www.thewhimsicalgardener.com/2012/07/a-dose-of-garden-encouragement.html

Here is a link that might be useful: On Being Creative ..

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Very nice, Roselee. I like the strawberry pot. The Philippine lilies are always a welcomed sight. I scatter the seeds anywhere I have a bare spot.

Jim

• ibheri
    11 years ago

They look very much like Easter lilies except the color inside. Very pretty. I love your strwaberry pot. Also liked the combination of Phlox and modern blush. Thnx for sharing. Have a gr8 weekend.
    Indu

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jim and Indu!

Jim, I had read that Philippines were the only lily which would bloom from seed in a year. I've never tried planting them. So you've had them come up from scattered seeds? Neat!

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Roselee mine do come up, but they don't bloom in a year for me. Usually they bloom the third year, sometimes the second.

Jim

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

So lovely! I love touring your garden virtually :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more white for anyone that might look at this thread again.

Sweet almond blooms with flushes through the summer, but it is blooming more profusely than usual after getting a little the rain. The red color is Turks cap which grew ten ft up into the canopy. I hadn't noticed it until seeing it in this photo ...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I never knew that there were so many beautiful white blooms! What white blooms do well for you in dappled shade?
    I have what I call a moon garden with mostly white blooms but would love some variety.

• debbiep_gw
    11 years ago

What is the plant growing under the lilies in the first photo,the plant with the serregated leaves?I like it.Very interesting.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    11 years ago

I frequently travel over from the Florida Forum to lurk here. Love to look at the pictures of your gardens and see what's surviving in your hot weather that I can try.

Lovely scenarios and plants, Roselee.

One plant that I have tried is the Hopi amaranth. Roselee, in referring to this plant you unwittingly hit the nail on the head when you wrote "for which I'll ever be grateful" - you're going to have it "forever". Thousands of seeds drop and germinate. I've been pulling them up for years. I suspect you will be also.

Lovely plant however - just not thousands!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Eat it..Red hopi amaranth are good in stir fry. Good summer greens. My deer love them.

Rosalie, Your sweet almond bush is beautiful.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam, I love white flowers and especially the idea of a moon garden, but that's pretty much it for the white flowers I grow except white lantana which is in the front and needs lots of sun to bloom.

Debbie, the plant is Papaya. It came up from some kitchen compost several years ago and evidentially it now comes up from roots sprouts as it has appeared ever since in the same general location in early summer. I love the tropical look and it's always welcomed. Sometimes I dig a little plant and transplant to another area. Papaya can get very tall, but in this filtered sun area without much water it stays small. To get it going just buy a ripe papaya melon and plant the seeds.

Juneroses, thank you and welcome to the Texas Forums from Florida. I can well imagine in good conditions you would have thousands of amaranth coming up, but I use such a thick layer of mulch, plus it being so dry most of the time I can't even get it to come up where I plant it and have to dig little plants up from where they sprout in the graveled areas. I love the big red leaves. If I ever get too many now I know what to do with them. Thanks Mara.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone