Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flameflower Bloomed!

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 19:49

At Linda 8's invitation I went with her last fall to a field around 1604 and IH10 that was soon to be bulldozed to rescue some Flameflowers, a Texas native. To tell the truth, I had never even heard of them.

It was hard work. They have a little carrot type root that goes deep and they love to grow out from under big rocks!

But the work was worth it. The rescued plants have been gaining in size and I saw a bloom or two earlier, but I just now went out front and saw this mass of light coppery orange and thought, 'What in the world is that?'

Here they are, perfectly at home with Blackfoot daisies between two driveways next to the street ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Phemeranthus aurantiacus, Flameflower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flameflower Bloomed!

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 23:21

Very nice!

Omar

o

oooh, aren't they pretty !

what do you mean at Linda's invitation ??? Didn't I kinda rope you into that one ? :-)

guess I'd better go see if I can find my flame !!

o

Hmmmm ... did you prompt that invitation for me? I have a faint remembrance now that you did. Or did I just implant that memory ...LOL

Anyway -- if so ... thank you :-) I'm sure glad I went.

o

Good job, those are very nice. There's a field near me that will be developed eventually and I try to get wildflower seeds whenever possible. I'll have to look for those too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here