Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Three good plants not often seen for sale ...

There are a lot of fine plants that you don't often see at plant nurseries. Three plants that I love are blooming now and I thought perhaps you'd like to see them ... again. I've posted pictures of these before.

This is one of the hundreds of cultivars of the Bauhinia family, commonly called orchid trees, vines, etc.. I found this low, single trunk, spreading one on the back lot of Schumacher's Country Gardens when Chip was still owner. I originally had it in too much sun and it would wilt in the afteroons, but I moved it two years ago to a shady location, threw a blanket over it the last two winters and it's done fine. Unfortunately it doesn't set seed ...

It blooms for several weeks and the huge flowers last a day ...

Another find at Schumacher's quite a few years ago is Velvet Pod Mimosa, a small Texas native tree with small thorns. It's such a beautiful drought tolerant tree I don't know why it isn't offered in nurseries. When Chip had a propagation class I rooted a few cuttings and gave them away at the plant swap. It produces lots of seeds. I've mailed seeds to those wanting them, but never heard if anyone got them going ...

Rainbow Gardens used to offer Texas tea bush, another Texas native, but their supplier passed away and apparently no one else they buy from is producing it. However, it's available from a few mail order sites. I thought I had lost my plants in last winters freeze, but they came back very late. It blooms ALL summer long in full sun next to Velvet Pod Mimosa in the hell strip, but never produces seeds. Very drought tolerant; I've never seen it wilt ...

Do you have any not often offered plants you'd like to show us?

Comments (10)