Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three good plants not often seen for sale ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 21:30

There are a lot of fine plants that you don't often see at plant nurseries. Three plants that I love are blooming now and I thought perhaps you'd like to see them ... again. I've posted pictures of these before.

This is one of the hundreds of cultivars of the Bauhinia family, commonly called orchid trees, vines, etc.. I found this low, single trunk, spreading one on the back lot of Schumacher's Country Gardens when Chip was still owner. I originally had it in too much sun and it would wilt in the afteroons, but I moved it two years ago to a shady location, threw a blanket over it the last two winters and it's done fine. Unfortunately it doesn't set seed ...

It blooms for several weeks and the huge flowers last a day ...

Another find at Schumacher's quite a few years ago is Velvet Pod Mimosa, a small Texas native tree with small thorns. It's such a beautiful drought tolerant tree I don't know why it isn't offered in nurseries. When Chip had a propagation class I rooted a few cuttings and gave them away at the plant swap. It produces lots of seeds. I've mailed seeds to those wanting them, but never heard if anyone got them going ...

Rainbow Gardens used to offer Texas tea bush, another Texas native, but their supplier passed away and apparently no one else they buy from is producing it. However, it's available from a few mail order sites. I thought I had lost my plants in last winters freeze, but they came back very late. It blooms ALL summer long in full sun next to Velvet Pod Mimosa in the hell strip, but never produces seeds. Very drought tolerant; I've never seen it wilt ...

Do you have any not often offered plants you'd like to show us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three good plants not often seen for sale ...

Mike Heep's nursery in Harlingen is absolutely outstanding for rare native plants, including Texas Tea Bush. Here are some plants I have bought from him. They are small right now, but will turn into excellent specimens eventually.

Photobucket
Jopoy (Esenbeckia runyonii) is a tropicalesque tree with large leaves that resemble those of a ficus.

Wissadula parvifolia

Wissadula parvifolia was described as a new species in 2007. So far it has been a fast grower in my garden.

Photobucket

Texas Lignum-vitae or Guayacan (Guaiacum angustifolium) is a small tree with narrow leaves and orchid-like purple flowers.

Ty

o

Thank you for sharing! Those are very interesting plants.

Roselee, if you sent me a rooted start of your mimosa, I promise I'll keep you posted! ;D

Omar

o

Exotic Natives, I loved hearing about your exotic plants and found good links for a couple of them:

http://www.tamuk.edu/taic/esenbeckia.htm

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=GUAN

Fascinating! Keep us posted on them. One of the links mentions Mike Heep's nursery. Sounds like a fabulous nursery to visit. By the way, your choice of mulch is very creative :-) Love it!

Omar, if I ever get rooted cuttings of Velvet pod mimosa you'll be the first to know. I've never tried to root it except at the Chip's class where he kept our cuttings under a mist system until they rooted. I'm going to suggest having a rooting class the new owner, Andrea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Heep's nursery in Harlingen

o

Thanks for the pictures, this is opening up a whole new world for me, am really getting interested!

o

Rosalee,you sent me seeds of the velvet pod mimosa last summer or the summer before.I now how a couple of 1ft or so tall ones in pots.I just got them to germinate this year.So I have some here in Ga.I plan to put them in the garden in the fall.
Debbie

o

Debbie, I'm so glad to hear that you got some going. Plant it in full all day blasting hot sun. That's what it likes :-)

Also I read on line that it likes alkaline soil (of which I have more than enough!), but if your soil is acid you might want to add some lime or what ever you do to raise the soil's pH.

If anyone wants seeds let me know in a couple of months and I'll send some to you.

Happy growing!

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 13:59

Thank you, Roselee. I browsed the net looking for it and I couldn't find anybody selling it.

Omar
AKA the one who said he didn't want any more plants (so much for a resolution..)

o

Found this in a FB album and had a good laugh.

Not a serious concern around here, but I do try not to buy too many at once so he doesn't get overworked planting them.

Here is a link that might be useful: If I buy any more plants.....

o

That' a good one ... LOL.

I like this one seen at Lakehills Trading Post:

"YOUR HUSBAND CALLED AND HE SAID
YOU COULD BUY ANYTHING YOU WANTED."

Yippee!

o

Lovely pictures Roselee. Loved the Mimosa. Coincidentally I was reading Native Texas Plants: Landscaping region by region - Sally Wasowski and liked the pictures of mimosa. Glad I could see a close up of it from your garden. Thank you for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here