Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

What do you do with an ugly cactus?

What do you do with an ugly cactus?

Hush Kathy! ;-) I know what you're thinking .... LOL

Or I should say what to do with a beautiful columnar cactus passed along by Tally at the SAPS last fall that has a scar from where it was cut into pieces for propagation. New arms are growing out the sides ...

You paint the scars and make it a plant stand for a graceful curvy dykia. A long nail holds the pot in place. Whatcha think? ...

The planter had an unhappy Thyralis which wilted badly every day. So true to my plan to make a more drought tolerant easier care back garden out it went and a mixed succulent planting takes its place.

Slowly slowly the yard is changing. However, the changes are probably going to speed up significantly when the water bill comes in ... ha!

It's really nice how much less water and care the front yard needs. The strawberry pot planted with squid agave and aloes has matured well ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Shirley shows some before and after pictures on her blog Rock-Oak-Deer

Comments (13)

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

Now that is the way to be creative!

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Still ugly :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy, can we maybe just call it bizarre? Slightly outlandish, eccentric, flakey stuff is what I like the best. Maybe that's why we're such good friends .... grinning!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Roselee, I have to agree with Kathy on this one.........I am just NOT a cactus person. But I can also agree with your being creative.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know it looks silly, That's why I thought y'all would get a kick out of it. Richard and Carrie, thanks for giving me points for creativity anyway. I think that eventually the arms will grow larger and closer together so the scar won't show.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Actually, it does not look bad. I just can't resist giving you a hard time. The day may come when I will have to make changes.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy, I know. Some of us are such teases. And yes, a lot of us are feeling the need to make some changes in our gardens. I'd love to live some place like Oregon or Florida where it rains more because I love a tropical jungle type of a garden, but even there it seems they can't count on not receiving some unusual weather.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

I like the idea, not the shape of the pot. I think it would look better if the pot were round, oblong, kinda like the cactus' new growths. It will look great in a couple of months, even without the pot.

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I need: a baby pumpkin pot! Omar, thanks for the idea. I'll look around and see what I can find that would match the shape of the new arms. There might be someting else that would cover the scar, something that wouldn't hold the new arms apart or impede their growth in anyway.

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

That's neat! A living plant stand. I wouldn't have thought to do that. From a purely physics point of view, I don't see how the new growth can stay attached if they get much larger or taller. Their attachment points seem quite small for their weight, but I don't know much about cactus.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim, I agree. It looks like the new arms would just pop off. I don't have that much experience with cactus either so we shall see. I've gathered up several more things to try as Omar suggested.. Anyway, thanks for looking and for your comments!

Believe it or not Kathy was so enthralled with my cactus invention (yeah-right) she had to come see it for herself. She brought a blue tile she thought I might be able to use. Do you think she likes it? ...

Or maybe not ... lol ... I love that expression. At least she's trying ...

No big deal among forever friends ...:-)

We've decided just to enjoy life no matter what.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Oh look, Max is there thinking of "watering" it or me.
    Always a hoot to be around you two. Had I known you were going to take my picture, I would have worn those floppy yard shorts.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Well, it's good to see pics of you two, even if it is only to look at a cactus..............LOL> Looking "snappy" in your blue.