Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

San Antonio Botanical Gardens in Mid July ....

I love visiting the San Antonio Botanical Gardens to see how their selections are faring in our climate. Everything was looking fantastic, especially considering the time of year.

One of many very colorful flower beds ...

Several of the beds had papaya plants at the corners. Ever since papaya volunteered in my yard from compost I've been growing them for their foliage also ...

Because of drought the fountains do not run some years, but as you can see they are running now ...

It was great to hear the water gushing from this fountain behind the big red pentas ...

The SABG always has nice pot plant combos ...

I was delighted to see Rosa "Lotus" hybridized by Dr. Moy planted in mass. Doesn't that red castor bean plant look great with them? ...

I purchased this rose years ago at a SABG plant sale and it is one of my favorites. One thing I like about it is the petals don't burn up in the heat ...

The gardens seem to always have some interesting art works scattered throughout. This one is titled 'Passing Through' ...

I thought of Jim's 'Elephant Pen' when I entered the Fern Room ...

The lavender stems on this beauty were very impressive ...

And Mara came to mind when I visited the Succulent Room. There are always so many fascinating desert plants there which I love ...

Rocks make perfect pots for some of them ...

But the prettiest sight in the whole garden was this mass of lantanas growing near the entrance. They were selling this variety at the plant sale ...

I always come away from a visit to the Botanical Gardens inspired. I hope you found a few things in these photos to inspire you too.

Comments (9)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Wow, what a pretty place! I would like to spend all day in the Fern Room. I wish I had a short growing lantana. I keep whacking mine back and of course that interrupts the bloom cycle for awhile.

Jim

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Very pretty, I hope to get to SABG in the fall. It's going to be so hot in the next few weeks.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting. But I am glad I was not out in the heat.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing and for braving the heat to get the pictures! I love that Pride of Barbados in the first picture!

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Those are some good pics roselee. I work in the production greenhouses (cactus and tropicals) and all the the other gardeners have worked super hard in the beds to make them look real pretty.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joey! I heard you were working there. Wow -- I know it's hard work, I used to be employed at Vernon's Nursery many years ago, but what fun to be around things you love. The gardens looked wonderful. Tell everyone you work with how much I appreciate the fine job y'all are doing.

Thanks for looking everybody. The heat wasn't bad at all. It wasn't like you wanted to run for the AC or anything. I guess it's because of all the evaporation (or is transpiration the right word?) that's going on in the plants, plus there's always a breeze there. I actually like to go during the difficult seasons to see how things are holding up, although I admit spring and fall are more pleasant.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Roselee Vernon's Nursery was my favorite. My husband would get me a gift certificate from there Mother's Day. My daughter was small, and played with the ducks while I shopped. I always had great luck with their plants, they grew there own plants from cuttings. It was a magical place. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra, yes it was a lovely place and I have many happy memories of the customers and employees from when I worked there. Maybe I waited on you?

When Bob and I first married we lived just a couple of short blocks away and I could walk or ride my bicycle to work. I never made any money though as I spent it all on plants which Mrs. Vernon let the employees buy at a significant discount.

It was a busy place and Mrs. Vernon was constantly answering the phone and making change. They didn't have a cash register, just a cigar box. Once when the phone rang Mrs. Vernon opened the lid of the cigar box and said "Hello". We laughed and laughed!

I drove over there a few years ago and it was no more.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Roselee, I also drove over there and couple of years ago, and it was gone, Don't know why, I started to cry. Lots of good memories, I think eveytime I went Mrs Vernon actually waited on me. I went there from 1977 until she sold the place. It was never the same after she sold it. The new owners sold Color Spot plant. Barbra