Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Little successes mean a lot ...

In this extremely hot and dry summer little successes mean a lot! Here are some of the things I'm enjoying at the moment:

I'm lovin' the little 'Love in a Puff' vine; and how each chartreuse puff contains three little black beans with a perfect little white heart on one side. I'll bring seeds to the SAPS or if anyone wants some mailed to you email your address through my page ...

I'm enjoying how the five dollar washing machine tubs have filled in. They were planted mostly with things I already had, some things given to me(thank you!), and a couple of things off Lowe's sale racks plus home mixed potting soil making for an inexpensive addition to the garden ...

{{gwi:239502}}

{{gwi:239500}}

I'm enjoying watching the Passion vine passed along to me by Linda8 not get et to the nubs by Gulf Frit caterpillars this year, although I'd be happy if they were around to do just that ...

I'm fascinated with how the cactus are growing antlers as additional protection in this heat ...

It's a hard summer. If we can just hold out two more months I'll bet we'll have a gloriously cool and colorful October. Maybe the roses will finally get to show what they can do in the new area I worked so hard last winter preparing.

What little things are you enjoying about your garden about now?

Comments (11)

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Roselee your 'washing machine tubs' are looking great! Who would've thunk it. Ha! You have an eye for combos. I really like the 'antlers' too.

I hope you're right about October. We have finally had some rain, so I started fertilizing again. The day lilies (36), that I moved from their nursery bed, in the spring, have started putting on new leaves, at last. With just a little more rain, I think this gardening season can be salvaged.
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Your garden always looks so inviting, roselee.......what a great place you have to enjoy (and I know this all happens with little or NO work) !! You do have a good eye, and thank you for sharing with us.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim and Carrie! Jim, I can't wait to see those bloomin' daylilies.

Carrie, as my gardening neighbor Georgeanne said, "Only another gardener knows how much work keeping a garden is" but it's work done with joy. I can't imagine doing anything else!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Me, either!!! Even now, when I have to water so much, I get great pleasure out of seeing the plants respond to TLC. And you are right, only another gardener would know and appreciate your efforts.

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

The garden I work on the most is a 9.5 hour drive from where I live, so I can't personally give much care to the plants. I have to assume any new plants will be on their own until I visit - no automated irrigation either. The rewards come when I get to see how much my plants have grown and realize that they were well-chosen.

Ty

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Very pretty, those washtubs make excellent planters. Nice and full plants too.

• debbiep_gw
    12 years ago

So pretty!Is that a dark leaf canna in the tubs?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debbie, yes; that's canna Australia in the tubs. I'd have to say it's my favorite newly discovered plant this year. I love having a dependable dark leafed plant to contrast with the green. However, if the butterflies rebound and the canna leaf rolling larva of skipper butterflies eat the foliage I might change my mind! But for now I'm loving it!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Looks like a lot of success to me. SO GREEN AND LUSH.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Roselee, everything looks good. The Australin canna look great in the tubs, did you get it at the plant swap? Nothing is blooming for me right now. I did get a new canna from Lowes clearnace rack yesterday. Its a bronze leaf one, with hugh red flowers. I am taking it down tomorrow to plant at the coast, so it will multiply. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mara, it's lush and green, but at what cost to the aquifer? It used to be that we watered like crazy in August, and sometimes in September, until things got back to normal, but I'm beginning to wonder if things WILL be 'normal' again, at least within the next few years. Gardening is my love, but maybe I should learn to play cards instead, ya' think?

Speaking of watering, one thing I find very helpful is the simple little $8.00 moisture meter I can stick in pots to see when they need watering. I even use it to see how deeply I'm watering the lawn and the beds. I don't want to use more than I need to. Sometimes things wilt in the afternoon, but it's from the heat and not lack of water. The tip came off the one I had had for years, but I found them today at Rainbow Gardens and brought two of them.

Barbra, I was introduced to the Australian canna with the one you gave me at the swap. Here is that one now:

Recently I found some on the sale table at Lowes so bought two more for the washing machine tubs.

Mara, I hope you come to the San Antonio Swap. I'd love to meet you.