Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

August Blooms...

Lynn Marie
10 years ago

The only think impressive about these blooms are that they are blooming in August.

Why is a daylily blooming in August? Don't know and don't care. Just glad it did!

From Around the yard and garden

Rose of Sharon: I think the bushes are ugly but the flowers are pretty. I have two I want to get rid of, but until then, here's a picture.

I love this bright orange color. (It's very orange in real life.)

This bed has been pretty all summer. I've shared pics of it before, but here's one from August:

Close up of the pink zinnias:

I tried to take a picture showing off my mirror, but none of them are particularly impressive. Here's one anyway:

Well, I haven't dug it up yet, so you might as well see another picture since it is blooming like mad in August.

Butterfly!

This canna's last hoorah:

Indian Hawthorne is confused:

Are you tired of looking at zinnia pictures yet?

Because I have a million of them!

All of the above were from the middle of August. The rest of these are from today:

This pampas grass was planted on the side of the house that was impossible to mow just so I wouldn't have to. There aren't any windows there and I never go over there, so I didn't even realize it was so pretty!

I wish I saved the tag from these because they have lived happily all summer. The blooms are just now coming back. Maybe they'll bloom for real this fall.

My evergreen wisteria is completely covered in these. It's the closest thing I have to a showstopper. I can't recommend this vine enough.

My dog, Molly. She is NOT blooming outside!

If you have hummingbirds, could you please let them know I have something for them?

And this crepe myrtle is still blooming happily in the back yard.

I hope I didn't bore you with all the zinnias!

Comments (11)

• carrie751
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful, lynnemarie, and you could never bore me with zinnias.................I need to trade you some of my hot pink ones for your lovely shade of pink.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd LOVE that! These are between hot pink and pepto bismol. They kind of fade to pepto though. Send me your snail mail address and I'll drop some seeds in the mail. I have a ton. Plus they are short so they don't fall over.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I couldn't find your email address in your bio..........mine is active so send me one and we will go from there

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

All your flowers are wonderfully fresh looking for any time of the year, but for August they are phenomenal! Are you sure it's August where you are ... LOL.

I'm having a hard time keeping my zinnias from dying out. That may because I planted them from pots a little late. Were your's from seed?

I still like your mirror window :-)

Everything is lovely, lovely! Thanks for posting.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I just love zinnias! The foliage on yours looks so good and the blooms entice those wonderful butterfies! Beautiful picture of the Swallowtail! I've been looking for an evergreen wisteria kind of halfheartedly, I don't think I have enough sun, but it is a beautiful plant. I forget, are you growing it on a structure?

I like the 'window' cut out in the fence and your mirror! I am waiting for cooler temps to do some crafting. I sure have enough 'junque' awaiting transformation.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

What is it you don't like about the evergreen wisteria? I have been offered one and really want it as I think they are beautiful. Is it invasive like some other wisterias???

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Oh Carrie, I love the evergreen wisteria but have so little full sun, I doubt that it could thrive.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Well, as you know, Pam, I have plenty of room in FULL sun. I just wondered why Lynnmarie doesn't like it.

• grinchis40
    10 years ago

How is anything blooming for you in August? My crepe myrtles just sit there. Oleanders won't rebloom, roses look deformed, the Phlox just is sad reallyand the grasshoppers make sure I never get any canna blooms!
    The only thing that is blooming for me right now are the sages and lantana. I suppose it helps to have a watering system in the yard. I have to drag the hose around and cannot possibly get everything watered that needs it.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the evergreen wisteria! Probably my favorite plant of all! It's the Rose of Sharon that I don't like. The flowers are pretty, but the bush itself is ugly, I think.

How do I have blooms in Texas in August? Well, I use way too much water. And Sunday we drove over Lake Ray Hubbard and saw how low it was and now I feel SUPER guilty about it. I do have a 55 gallon rain barrel that turns one day of rain into 3 days of rain. That helps a little. And I do all my watering by hand so I'm not breaking the law. I only use the sprinklers once every week or two. There's a lot that looks terrible because I refuse to water twice a day. I just don't post pictures of the ugly stuff!

I don't however water the Crepe Myrtle in the picture at all. I have two others; one is not blooming now and the other one still is a little. Weird because the one blooming the best gets the least water. I guess it might just be a later blooming variety.

I've had very little issues with the cannas for several years now. They're about through blooming too. I have two varieties. One with plain green leaves and one with black in the leaves. The one with black in the leaves is in a pot, so it has to be watered. The others are in the ground taking up too much room, but they don't get any additional water.

The zinnias I got from seeds from Burpee last winter and started indoors in January or February. I'm not very good at that, but these turned out pretty great. I wanted short ones so they didn't flop over, but the only short ones I could find in stores were mixed. I like pinks, blues, purples in the back yard and yellows and oranges in the front, so I had to order them online. I learned that zinnias need a LOT of sun. I have some in a bed in front that I always thought of as full afternoon sun, but the trees have matured and now I'm going to have to find something yellow to put there that likes partial shade.

I do have a couple of lantanas blooming, but they aren't so photogenic. I'm not a fan of sages for the same reason I don't like the rose of sharons.

My email address is lynnmariep at gmail dot com. I know I promised you seeds Carrie, but I have to remember to buy stamps! How come that's so hard to remember to do??? It's even harder since now I pay all my bills online. Hopefully I can get them to you while you still have time to plant them this year. If not, they are supposed to stay viable for 5 years according to the internet (which is never wrong!)

Thank you all for your kind words. I really love showing off my yard. I love showing off the kids too, but people get really tired of hearing about how smart/beautiful they are! And they won't sit still for pictures like the flowers do!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I won't plant the zinnias until next year anyway, Lynnmarie, as my beds are all full this year, so no hurry.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES