Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

ARE in August ...

I took advantage of that cool air Richard sent down our way and drove out to Antique Rose Emporium early this morning to see how their plants were faring through the heat we've had these last few weeks. It is so helpful to be able to see how the different varieties do planted out. There were roses blooming too, but at this time I was more interested in the rose's companion plants.

There were several John Fanick's Phlox growing in full sun ...

I've always wanted this West Texas form of Esperanza with the deeply cut leaves, but never found it for sale ...

Caster bean plant and purple cactus. The purple is a deeper color in the winter ...

Climbing pinkie even blooms in August. Here it is wrapped around a cedar fence ...

Fountain in the blue walled-in area ...

Dwarf cleome ...

The Gomphrenas in several colors were really beautiful ...

Henry Dalberg salvias were everywhere and blooming beautifully. The big bumblebees were all over them ...

Turk's cap looking nice and fresh in the shade ...

Their Sun Coleus is gorgeous. Eutin roses in the back ...

Texas star hibiscus ...

There were numerous butterflies of several different kinds on the lantana ...

{{gwi:553427}}

They are not afraid of Ruellia and I have to admit that the intense dark purple is striking ...

Can anyone ID this little plant?

Hope you enjoyed the little tour and got some landscaping ideas like I did!

Comments (9)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's one more. Bat faced Cuphea in a big pot. It was looking great in several places ...

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I have Fanick Phlox in the sun. They are in the corner bed by the sidewalk and driveway.
    I plan to add more out there this fall.

One of my yellow repeat blooming iris is blooming.

I did enjoy the tour, except for the cactus. LOL !
    I sure wish this "cooler" weather would hang around.
    Pretty pathetic when 90 sound good.

• mikeandbarb
    13 years ago

So pretty, thank you for sharing.

Wasn't the cool weather just wonderful :) looking forward to more LOL

I know it's early and not even Sept yet but I hope for a cool fall weather 70 something temps.

• ibheri
    13 years ago

Thanks for the sneak peek Roseele. I was not able to view some of the pictures, tried picking the URL and post in a new window but it would not load. I wanted to see the Turks cap.

• ibheri
    13 years ago

I reloaded and all came up fine. They look great. Thnx for sharing.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Those are just beautiful and such great ideas.

Thanks for posting these, I was looking for photos of their bottle tree and yours is perfect. Love what they've done with all the other garden elements as well.

• bouquet
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I am contemplating a move to the SA / Boerne area... have a large cottage garden I am extremely attached to and hate to leave behind. These photos give me hope that I can recreate a version of my present garden! Now, tell me about the deer. ARE is practically out in the country - how do they deal with deer?

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

bouquet - I asked that very question at ARE last year. The deer do come into their gardens and nibble, but they have so many plants over such a large area that the damage is not a serious problem for them. Apparently it's not as big a problem as it is down in town here. The area around them is being developed so the deer may be a problem there in the future.

Of course you can have a great garden here in SA. Check out our Botanical garden for ideas. You should also search Plantmaven and Roselee for their beautiful photos and inspiration. You will need to bring in topsoil and compost because the native soil is thin and will need work before you can plant.

FYI, I have friends in Boerne and up there the deer eat everything including Lantana, Salvia Greggii and other plants they never even nibble down here in town.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Shirley! I asked ARE the same question and that's what they told me too. My feeling is they must not have many deer in the area to start with!

Bouquet, Boerne is a beautiful area, but like Shirley says it does have a lot of deer. My yard in NW San Antonio has similar growing conditions as Boerne and deer also.

I've tried just about every deer deterrant there is (you'd laugh if I told you what all I've tried) but the only thing that works consistently is an electric fence. I have just a short strand of it in the front yard baited with peanut butter so they are sure to find it and once shocked they stay away pretty good. Oh, I have a few things nibbled, but not much. The wire doesn't show from the street. They have not discovered the back yard. I have dogs so that is probably keeping them out.

Good luck with your garden. Shirley is right -- bring in lots of good soil to start with. If you want to grow a lot of ornamentals raised flower beds are good.