Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Weeping cactus ...

It's been so hot and dry here even the cactus weep ... ;-)

Comments (9)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought it would perk up after the rain, but it didn't. Can anyone ID this bright green, fast growing, thornless cacti? It doesn't even have any glochids that I can detect. I received it at a swap a couple of years ago.

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Is it actually wilted?
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim, I think partly. I don't think it got enough water in the container to support it's fast growth so the pads are thinner and more subject to hanging/weeping. I had it in the ground last year and I don't remember it doing that.

In searching the internet the only name I could come up with is "Thornless Nopal "Nopales" Cactus Plant" but not a latin name so I could find out the particulars.

Here's a video of a guy eating what I think might be the same one. To me eating one is kinda' like eating wild mushrooms. Beware if you're not positive. Anyone up to coming over and taking a bite? .... :-)

But information on eating it is not what I'm after. It's a pretty cactus and totally thornless. Before putting it in a prime spot I'd like to know how big it will get and how hardy it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video ...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think the name you are looking for is Opuntia cochenellifera. I think it is hardy to about 15. There was a HUGE HUGE 14' one in Dripping springs somewhat protected by trees until those 2 huge huge freezes. It was a d@mn tree..It can take some shade or sun . It is indigenous to Florida and tropical areas so it will also take more water than other prickly pears. And yes you can eat them . one can eat any prickly pear if one can deal with the needles.

There are some other varieties that look like O cochenellifera but are more tropical and I am not that familiar with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opuntia id site

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A synonym for it is Napolea cochenellifera

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

I found this other (O. rubescens) on the net.....

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: O. rubescens

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It is not Consolea rubescens. I have both. The organization and texture of the aureoles is different. I might need some more sun. What kind of sun is it in right now?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mara, thank you for naming it so I know more what I'm dealing with as to size and hardiness, etc. Also I see that it has bright pink flowers.

You're right in that it probably doesn't get enough sun; only three or four hours of direct sun if that much and the rest bright dappled shade.

Omar, rubescens is a pretty green thornless cactus too, but a bit tender for my yard. Thanks for showing it to us.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Roselee, no problem. I was just wondering about your cactus id. I learn a lot when searching for plants id's. I'm glad you found the information you were looking for. I like the fact your cactus has pink blooms.

Omar