Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The dry creek bed - One year later

Posted by lucas_tx 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 22:10

If you search the gallery for dry creek bed, you can see two sets of pics from last year.

Even though this is the worst time of year, the creek still looks pretty darn good (if I do say so myself :-). I've been doing some remodeling this summer so not a lot of posting here, but decided to take some pics and share.

For perspective (I'm going to have to move the lonely little Mexican buckeye in the front yard this fall, I moved some other stuff and now he's lonely)

photo IMG_0226_zps33ae258e.jpg

East end (left side when looking at the porch). There are also two small bamboo muhlies at the end of the creek but they are hidden behind the switch grasses. Lindheimer's muhly and Senna corymbosa to the left.

Berm is seeded in habiturf which is taking off well. Right now we do water it about once a week (our one legal day to water). That's why it's green and the surrounding little blue stem is not.

photo IMG_0228_zpsc81c5c31.jpg

The west end (right side of the house) from the driveway. That's a Salvia darcyi, a Salvia chamaedryoides, Souvenir de la Malmaison who is between blooms at the moment and some volunteer one seed croton around the pot. In the pot is a Buck rose Wild Ginger, also not blooming at the moment. Across the creek are some seep muhlies and the rose Valentine (thanks Roselee for suggesting her, she's been great!).

photo IMG_0225_zpsf1fd0a02.jpg

The same area from a little closer to the house. Lanceleaf coreopsis in the foreground and Nacogdoches still blooming like a champ.

photo IMG_0224_zpsad883751.jpg

Mid-creek. Valentine surrounded by the seep muhlies, flame acanthus and fall aster in the background.

photo IMG_0223_zps547a587a.jpg

In case you don't feel like looking up the old threads

Looking east (up the hill) photo IMG_0058.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The dry creek bed - One year later

I love progress/update pics! It really helps me understand how beds evolve and mature. I do remember the original post mostly because I think it was triple digits here when you did it and I was really impressed with the what you did to make it happen - hard labor to go with the vision.

It looks really good! Great choices. Thanks for posting.

Lisa

o

Wow, it's come a long way in only a year! Looks great!

o

Looking good there, Lucas.... now you can enjoy the fruits of all that hard labor

o

I love updates on makeovers. Your vision has come together beautifully! It seems the plants you've wisely chosen have filled in particularly fast.

Now it would be nice if we had some rain and could see some water running through it, right? Have your camera ready. It's bound to happen sooner or later ... :-)

o

It looks great. Well done.

k

o

Oh I guess you mean like this? (notice Santa's runway there in the front yard, this was not recent ;-)

You can also see in this why we need the berm. Since this was taken, we've also routed the downspouts underground into the creek, so we don't get all the water on the house side.

So in short, it does work as designed.

o

It looks good, and best of all, it works! Do you have trouble keeping your salvia greggii alive with once a week watering? I have found that they aren't as drought tolerant as I thought they would be.

o

I don't have good luck with greggii either. That red one in the pics is darcyi, which is doing great with water just once a week when watering the new grass.

I actually bought one from Flowers by the Sea to have in a pot and they are fairly brittle. That one on the berm is actually a piece I broke off and rooted and it's done that well from starting as a cutting this spring. I've never grown it before but it seems to do great in DFW. I amended that berm with some compost before I planted but that's it, aside from that it's nice black gumbo clay.

Really hoping it overwinters but even if it doesn't I'll get another next spring.

o

Love it! thank you for posting this year's update

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here