Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this Hummingbird?

Posted by briaustex 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:01

Have a bunch of hummingbirds in my backyard and finally decided to get a few photos. Not certain what these guys are. My first thought was ruby throated, but these guys are a bit more colorful and closer to an orangish color. I'm in Austin if that helps. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger sized image

This post was edited by briaustex on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this Hummingbird?

Another image of a second hummingbird.

Edit: after looking at identification guides, I'm guessing this guy is a ruby-throated hummingbird. Still not certain about the first photo above. Never seen one with yellow throat markings before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger sized image

This post was edited by briaustex on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:45

o

It sure is pretty, whatever it is!

o

Hummingbird ID can be very confusing during migration. I'm really not good at it. I know the Black-chinned because they're here during the mating season. The Ruby-throated is fairly common during migration here. And to a lesser extent, the Rufous, because they have started to be around some in winter. One thing I found about the iridescence was in a book, Hummingbirds of Texas:

Interference is the optical process that creates iridescence in hummingbirds, much as it does to a soap bubble or a slick of oil on water. Waves of light are often distorted, which can create a spectral rainbow of colors. For this reason, the gorget can appear to be different colors, depending on the angle of refraction (that is, a male Ruby-throated's gorget can appear topaz, red, or black just with a turn of the head.

I've got a pic where the gorget of one hummingbird appears to look kind of amber to me. Whatever kind of hummingbird this one is, it's gorgeous!

o

I know the Black-chinned well, since they are the first to visit in the spring (usually arrive around early to mid-March here) and the purple throat is easy to spot. I can't distinguish between the female Ruby-throat and Black-chinned, though.

All of the Black-chinned hummingbirds that were visiting my yard have migrated. I counted 5 at one point, and the yard was a constant buzz of angry hummingbird chatter as they chased each other away.

Thanks, Linda. I read that juvenile Ruby-throats can appear yellow/gold, too, which would suggest that they were both Ruby-throats. I've counted four of them at one time recently. I've watched three of them circle together in a standoff until one decides which of the others to chase--very humorous to watch.

Each year I've been adding more hummingbird friendly plants because I really enjoy watching their antics.

o

possibly juvenile RBT since its fall and they're migrating south.

http://www.rubythroat.org/RTHUExternalMain.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here