Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Umbrellas coming down one by one ...

Been working in the hot summer moving things so I can take the umbrellas down after the removal of the big tree explosed many plants to sun they could not take.

Just one place of several: columnar cactus (thank you Patty) in the pot where First Lady phlox once grew ...

Never imagined Sweet almond verbena would grow into a tree and withstand last winter's long days of freezing weather. It's bloomed again and again all summer ...

Shoestring acacia has grown by leaps and bounds since planted a few months ago. I can see it as a holder of coral vine blooms in a year or two ...

I'm most pleased with Baji red fairy duster purchased at SABG plant sale last year. It has bloomed all summer and is still producing buds ...

Spent scarlet pentapete flowers make beautiful litter. The plants self seed and grow through the gravel ...

The cat that ate the canary? Not!

A native passion vine grows on the pillar and a gulf fritillary caterpillar eclosed on the cat's mouth before I noticed it being there ...

There's always wonder and surprises in the garden. We would love to see yours ... :-)

Comments (10)

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I love the pictures you share of your yard.
    The Shoestring acacia is especially interesting.
    I love the Baji red fairy duster. We bought one a few years when we were at Hill Country Gardens. I had it in a pot and lost it the second winter. I keep seeing a tiny seedling that I need to dig up and pot. I'm hoping it's from a seed from the Fairy Duster.
    I like the red and purple combination of flowers.
    I've planted scarlet pentapete a couple of times but they never reseed for me.
    What are the light pink flowers in the first and second picture?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruth, I hope the seedling is a fairy duster. It's a good full sun drought tolerant bloomer. My pentapete only seeds itself in the gravel. The mulch in the flower beds is good for retaining moisture, but it doesn't let things seed out. The light pink flowers are bougainvilleas.

Thanks for looking!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

They are all arranged so beautifully. The Sweet Almond Tree would be my favorite thing to see each morning. I so glad that it made it through the Winter. The red fairy duster is so unusual. Love it, too. You are so right... gardening is full of surprises... each and every morning!

Here is our latest surprise. The plant that was so large and leggy now has flower buds!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Okay, I have a Sweet Almond Verbena that I've had in a pot several years. In the pot it dies back in the winter and I've never gotten enough flowers to be impressed.
    I've never been able to decide where to put it, so I thought I'd just take it to the next swap.

After seeing yours and hearing how much it's bloomed, maybe I should just decide where to put it and keep it.
    I don't want it to get big, I just want a pretty little shrub with great fragrance.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sunny Irene, what is that plant that has flower buds??? Or maybe the surprise is you don't yet know ... LOL

Ruth, I have three Almond verbenas. (I'm a sucket for anything fragrant). Here in San Antonio they froze to the ground every winter when young, but came back strong from the roots and grew quickly. Now that they are mature they don't freeze. Only last winter did the tips die back a bit, but it quickly outgrew the bare sticks. Another nicely scented small tree is the native kidney wood. It's extremely drought tolerant and blooms after a rain.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

How big does your Kidney wood get?
    We just saw one on Tuesday for $25.00 and thought that was a good price.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Roselee, It's the one that was ID'd as Confederate Rose. I've attached another pic. I'll take another pic when it blooms. I can't wait... !!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I just love your garden Roselee!

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    9 years ago

Ok, Roselee,

I see your Baja Fairy Duster, but where did you buy it? I don't recognize "SABG". I must live a sheltered life.

Xtal

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruth, the kidney wood tree in the side yard is about 20 ft tall and multi trunked. I had a second one in a flower bed that I just loved because it let filtered light in to the flowers, but it declined. I think the cause was too much water given to the flowers.

Sunny Irene, now I remember the plant.

Crystal, I know what you mean. Some acronyms throw me. SABG stands for San Antonio Botanical Garden. Some people call it SABOT which may be more correct. I'm not sure. But I've seen the red fairy duster in nurseries like Rainbow Gardens here in San Antonio. There is also a pink one.

Pam, thank you. How are you feeling now days after the bout of fever?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County