Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Little changes continue ...

Here I'm showing some little changes as the makeover to a more drought tolerant, easy care, chilli thrips free garden continues.

More thrippy roses removed and replaced with agaves ...

The 'Madonna' cactus was moved to another pot, has grown and doesn't look like Madonna anymore ... :-(

I now have a hanging garden ... ;-) I took everything I had laying around that hangs, spray painted them white and hung 'um ...

More true to the hanging garden theme are the 'starfish' flowers in one of the succulent baskets in the front. I love these guys. Yeah - a little smelly at times, but not nearly as rank as some others of this type ...

In the 'Junking' thread I mentioned getting a plate glass mirror from Cherokee's Oldies in Lakehills. Bob built a frame for it and put a wrought iron gate in front. It was placed against the back fence in the 'hanging garden'. A flea market sign was placed over it. The mask came from the Lakehills junkin' trip too....

Speaking of the 'Junking' thread look who managed to turn up in the yard! It's beyond me how things like this happen when I'm not paying attention ... ;-)

But WHO is the intruder? Is he Roman, Greek? Is he anybody we know? I'd like to give him a name.

Thanks for looking!

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 22:20

Comments (14)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping on down ...

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

Neat. At first I was skeptical when you made all the drastic changes, but it sure is starting to take shape. Love following your progress.

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

That is one big Starfish bloom!

Darlene

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynmarie, thank you for your comment. I felt the makeover was a necessity, but I have enjoyed doing it and seeing a new style emmerge. Speaking of seeing I had cataract surgery Monday and am looking forward to 'seeing more clearly', so to speak, on how to continue ... :-)

Darlene, I love the size and to me the design, texture and fine veining of the flower petals is fascinating.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

Ooh my goodness that's a beautiful starfish bloom! May I ask what variety it is? Or even where you bought it?? It sure is pretty! The garden is absolutely beautiful! I love changing the yard around, creating new "life and personality" in the garden is sooo much fun! Your doing a great job!
    Lyna

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyna, thank you! I've had the stapelia or 'starfish flower' for so long I don't remember where I got it, but it was probably as a passalong plant. I don't know the variety name, there are many, They root easily from a section of the plant.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well Lyna, ask and you shall receive ... :-) According to the blog linked below the 'starfish flower' is Stapelia gigantea. I find they bloom fairly soon after rooting. A little sun helps it to bloom quicker, I think. Here's a recent rainy morning photo of the bud resting on a spent flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stapelia gigantea on Bamboo and More blog ...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

The flower really dwarfs the plant, huh?

I searched pictures of greek and roman statuaries for an hour and can't find your guy :-)

Your newly created garden looks as if it's always been there! I love all of your garden art too!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, thank you very much for your comments.

AND thank you for searching for an ID on the statue. Much appreciation even if you didn't find 'him'.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Roselee, just curious - which roses did you remove? Lou

• burntplants
    10 years ago

Alexander the Great.
    Just a guess, but that nose looks like how his was always shown.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lou, I used to have a list of the approximately 65 roses that I grew, but a computer glitch erased it. They were mostly antiques and David Austin roses; some of them grafted onto Fortuniana roots.

Burntplants, I looked up images of Alexander the Great and the bust does indeed look like him! Thanks so much for the tip.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Hair style on the intruder hints it's a bust reproduction of the Apollo Belvedere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apollo Belvedere statue

This post was edited by bostedo on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 13:06

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bostedo, I think you hit the nail on the head, or rather on the hair do! I hoped that the unusual hair arrangement would finally lead us to a name. Alexander was a handsome dude and with curly hair, but I looked in vain for the 'top knot' style. Thanks for the link with the great stories. Of course I'm going to save it lest I forget him as the art world seems to have done.

"...For four hundred years after it was discovered the Apollo was the most admired piece of sculpture in the world. It was Napoleon's greatest boast to have looted it from the Vatican. Now it is completely forgotten except by the guides of coach parties, who have become the only surviving transmitters of traditional culture."

Again, thank you!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor