Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The dry creek bed - Serious Progress

Posted by lucas_tx 7/8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 22:27

I'm pretty excited, it's finally starting to look like something.

Commona Senna (Senna corymbosa) transplated from back yard anchors the berm, along with Lindheimer Muhly and two Prairie Sky Switch grasss
Photobucket

DH models the new 'open concept' front porch and our wicked cool old timey chairs. He sat in these at his grandmother's so they bring back great memories and they are comfy besides!
Photobucket

Photobucket

The cute little Micron Yaupon Hollies. The hostas look pretty sad but they had been overrun by the Indian Hawthorn that was previously in that bed and I dug them up and they sat out for week and then got replanted, so in reality they look pretty darn good all things considered!
Photobucket

This is the east (left) end, just inside where the Senna is. The current end of the creek, a new bed with a partially finished path (free limestone from my SIL in Dripping Springs) and then a wider view of the two side by side. The edge of the creek closer to the house (right side) shows the finished look. The left side still has the landscape cloth out beause we're using that to try to keep the dirt from going down in the creek until we have grass established.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finished look alongside the sidewalk with the Seep Muhlie
Photobucket

Cereal Rye planted on berms starts to take hold. We haven't seeded the other end of the berm yet. Still has a lot of live bermuda roots because new dirt was moved over there when they did the sidewalk and I'm still trying to get as much out as I can before we seed it.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The dry creek bed - Serious Progress

Yes, I would call that some very serious progress. Hurray for you! I'm loving it. Please keep the photos coming as more things are planted and grow.

o

Wow. That makes my back hurt. I really miss my front porch.

You are moving right along.

k

o

What is amazing is that I think I'm going to run out of mulch in about two more wheelbarrows full and that was originally a huge truck load that the tree guy fills with his chipper. When I got it my DH told me I'd never use all that mulch in the rest of my life!

Now I'm gonna have to get another load.

o

I came across this photo that might provide some inspiration as you continue to landscape your dry creek bed. Even though yours doesn't meander you could provide the illusion of curves by alternating rocks and plantings along the edges instead of placing them evenly on the sides.

By the way, love the photo of your hubby on the porch. He looks well pleased with the work as he should be :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry creek photo ...

o

That dry creek bed is looking really nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here