Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Aloe for the SA Plant swap

Aloe mothers who are sending their babes off to "market". I thought this might give you guys an idea of what the plants look like when they are older. The rosettes are rooted

Gasteraloe X aristata

{{gwi:543110}}

Aloe deltoidiodonta

{{gwi:678553}}

Aloe deltoidiodonta var fallax

{{gwi:678555}}

Aloe glauca

{{gwi:658219}}

Aloe X spinosissima

Aloe arborescens

{{gwi:560538}}

Aloe nobiles

{{gwi:560545}}

Comments (6)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to add this aloe Grandientata to the mix.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! They are all so beautiful. I love aloes.

(And the bare toes aren't bad either ... ;-)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I will get them all repotted and up on the roof this week. It`s their favortite spot, hot and dry.
    It was great meeting you. We`re looking forward to the spring swap already.
    Tally HO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, If you are not aware of this resource. I find it great info on the cold hardiness of different aloes. Or at least a starting point. You are in such a much better place for aloes, till it floods. Maybe you need a green roof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian Kembles list of Cold Hardy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Mara, is it aloe grandientata that I have planted in the side pockets of strawberry pot in the front yard? It looks like you have them planted in the ground. I'm assuming they take freezes. Do you cover them?

Also are most of the aloes pretty much slow growing? Seems like the ones I got at the spring swap haven't grown much. What sort of conditions do they like during the summer? I'll take them in the green house in the winter of course.

New to aloes except soap aloes so lots of questions.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes that is aloe grandientata that you have planted in your strawberry pot. Brian Kemble has them listed to low 20's in cultivation and 19F in habitat. I am not sure what he means by these categories on his chart. I cover them with a frost cloth when it gets below 25, so most nights thay take frost well.. If it gets below 20 I shove a bunch of leaves around them under the frost cloth. I did not do this when it got to 11 and they "died" but then came up from the roots half way through the next summer. I have had a Aloe daweii come up from the roots three years after it died an ugly death. I loved the aloes in your strawberry pot. I might just have to copy you.

As to the growing conditions of small aloes. I water them about once -twice a week( depending on the aloe and time of year) if they are really small and in fast draining soil. In the heat of summer, I back off on some because some are rot prone then. They have totally shut down (Aloe bromii) I also have found that diluted fertilizer (low in nitrogen) in every watering is good. I dilute the fertilizer to 1/4 what is normal and that has speeded up the growth . I stop this when they slow down in winter. Some aloes are winter growers and some are summer growers. It always confuses me. which is which. Aloe glauca is a winter grower. I have been water and fertilizing it all summer. It did not seem to mind.

The site below is a great refernce list. If you are already aware of it, ignore me. I use it to research what aloes are good for me to concider buying. I use it to group my plants in winter so I know which ones to carry in for protection first. I should develop a color coding system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian Kembles hardy Aloe list