Linda, Jim's cousin

Pat (Mrs. Bossjim) and Joan

Jolana

Plants

more plants

Comments (57)

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

What a day! This was a trip well worth taking. It was really fun to finally meet gardening friends I'd conversed with for years. At first my wife was a little Leary of going so far to trade plants with strangers, but she soon learned that there were NO strangers there. She took some pictures and caught Jolana in a rare serious moment. Yeah right! (notice the 'peace sign she's holding behind my head!)

Kathy and her son David

And more...

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting........I think.

LOL! I look drunk and David looks like he is eating that plant.
    In that one pic, Donna looks very excited. Now that's how swappers are supposed to look.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Great pictures! It sure will help me remember everyone!
    I love that picture of Donna "plant preachin". I learned so much.
    Isn't that little Meridith a cutey?

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Jim, I am so glad you and DW came and what a pleasure to meet your cousin, she was a hoot and I loved your stories!!!!

Kathy, is that how you were staying warm??? LOL
    David looks like he was going to devour that plant, lol

In that first pic of Donna, it look like she was trying to rob them of the plants with her hand gun, lol

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did you notice that Joan has a "gun" also?

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I thought I had advised you guys to NOT duel over plants. What's up with all the "guns"???? LOL>

• justintx
    14 years ago

carrie - they're a lot tougher gardeners down there - what with the guns and all.
    ;-)
    J.D.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Yeah, can you imagine what we had that wasn't in the pic?
    LOL

That is so funny robbing people of the plants, lol

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gives a whole new meaning to "stickup".

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Actually, it was more like forcing people to TAKE plants!
    Jim

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I "sorta-kinda" know that feeling, Jim !!!!

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA, okay, Jim, absolutely, lol

Carrie ? sorta-kinda ????

I have to leave on that one, lol
    When Carrie offers a couple of plants, which is wonderful but you have to watch her because when you get home the couple have tripled or quadrupled,lol
    Love her tho!!!!

She must have offered an online course because Jim, is her male gardening twin. They have the North and South covered
    with Kathy and Roselee filling in the middle, lol

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

I thought 'Gardener' and 'Generous' were synonyms. Carrie, since you weren't there, I took 18 cuttings of 'Rosa Traum',and now they are everywhere! Ha!
    Jim

• carrie751
    14 years ago

That makes my heart sing, Jim...... the more places she grows, the more gardeners are made happy. Oh, and BTW, when I have friends walking around my garden, often they will ask what a plant is, and many, many times the answer is, "oh that came from Jolana". She can be GENEROUS as well .........LOL>
    But wait............. she still has plants to pick up in Austin that I sent back with my daughter. She will need a truck to get them all home ......LMAO !!!!

• beachplant
    14 years ago

"It's TEXAS, even my hairdresser has a gun!" Candace Bergman in Miss Congeniality.
    Ya'll look like you had a great time. I wish we had been there instead of waiting on window installers.
    Jolana-I cut my hair off on Friday! I went for a trim & cut off 14" for locks of love. And got pink extensions for breast cancer ($10 donation). I feel like a bobblehead now cause my head is so light. My hair hasn't bee this short in at least 28 years, I haven't had a haircut at all for about 12 years.
    Tally HO!

• dstartz
    14 years ago

"In that first pic of Donna, it look like she was trying to rob them of the plants with her hand gun, lol"

'Give me all your plants, lady, or somebody gets it with the finger!'

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Tally, you cut all your hair off too??? I don't know how many times I have statde outside and reached to see if I had a scrungy to pull my hair up, lol

Yes, gardening is synonymous with generosity but y'all are killing me with it, lol
    Just kidding calm down, I know I could say no, so I have a problem, BWAHAHA

Whew, I just got back from Carrie's DD's house and I didn't bring the trailer so I have to make another trip, lol

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Thanks for the great pictures -- these and the other set as well. Wonderful to see familiar faces and the new ones too. Sorry I missed getting acquainted with the new folks this time around.

It's a good thing BossJim brought his wife AND his cousin along to watch after him. Otherwise he might have got himself kidnapped and held for ransom. The ransom being the building garden paths and structures as well as the garden around them! He would have been in danger from me for sure ;-)

Jolana, is that MY large fruiting Barbados Cherry tree you have in your wagon? Guess I'm going to have to call out the posse to redeem it! I have connections to the Texas Rangers you know! Hahaha ...

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Yes, Roselee, that is a Barbados Cherry but I have signed off on it. If you need help getting it back....call Donna, she was handing out cards and I think they said,
    Have Finger Will Travel
    HAHAHAHA

Isn't that tree beautiful? I am so glad we got them

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Hey, Roselee, I'm sorry that I missed meeting you. Along with the other friends and gardeners that I finally met, I was hoping to meet you, Barbara, and Omar. Maybe another time.
    Jim

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

I'm sorry I couln't make it, Jim. Maybe next year. I heard you took MY Rangoon Creeper start to the swap but "somebody" forced you to give it to her.

Fellow gardeners, I am not telling her name because I'm a gentleman, but it starts with "J", lives in disguise (changes her look every week), grows some "mistery", "winter tender" plants at the very back of her property, says she's forgetful because of her age but she looks younger than most of us....tsk, tsk. tsk....Some people....

Omar

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Yeah, Omar, my arm is still sore from all the twisting.
    Jim

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

I know.However, she was kind enough to offer it. I told her to keep it and give me a rooted start next year. Otherwise I would have to go to Bastrop and take a sample of those winter hardy plants she's growing at the very back of the property.....(I already have the zig-zags ready just in case...)

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Okay, my youngest dd, called me to tell me what was going on in here.
    Omar, I plan on asking you when I could bring the Rangoon to you and for your persnickety attitude lil turd, no seeds or plants for you, lol
    BTW are they really winter hardy?

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

Pernickety attitude? Me? Hadn't we agreed I was Mr GT?
    Oh! Now she's bringing the plant to me so she doesn't have to share her stash! Nah, ah, lady. The zig-zags are waiting...

The Rangoon vine is a tropical but I think it could make it in zone 8 if it's planted against a wall. Now, regarding your stash... they are not winter hardy at all, I think.

Omar

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA, oh, I am forgetful after.....whatever, lol
    Oh yeah I agreed to calling you GT instead of turd, lol
    Forgot again

After getting the vine from Jim, I have talked to a few people that have them in protected areas in Austinand they do fine, so you should be able to grow it
    Email and tell me when you want the vine, okay?

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

I got an email from someone telling me how rude I am, this is not the first time
    Anyway, just to let y'all know Omar and I are kidding

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Well, how rude that "they" think you are rude, Jolana. What's wrong with a little fun that brings a smile to all our faces?

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Kidding? Kidding? Well that ruins it for me. I thought you nailed him! Ha!
    Jim

• texasfern
    14 years ago

I may be new here, but I know funny when I see it.
    Thanks for the laughs, I really need to meet everyone.
    I may need to stop in Bastrop tomorrow!

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

I've read Jolana's posts forever, and never thought she sounded rude. After meeting her, I know she can't have a rude bone in her body. But if she won't share her mystery plant with Omar, he may start thinking she is ! Hey, Jolana, he needs it strictly for medicinal purposes !!!

That picture of me with Joey makes me look mean and mad ! I must have been concentrating really hard on what he was saying.

thanks everyone for all the great plants ! The new friendships are also much appreciated !

patty

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

C'mon guys! It is obvious that Jolana and I were making fun of each other. We have been joking each other around through GW for years! Sorry, Jolana.

Seriously. Jolana never took any plant for me. Au contraire, she was the one who let me know she got the plant from Jim, and, she graciously offered to me. I also told her she could keep it and just give me a rooted start next year. That's the kind of people we, gardeners, are: generous and with excellent sense of humor.

That's why I really expect her to share her stash with me.

Omar
    PS: On top of everything, Jim showed his gardener soul and mailed me another start of the famous Rangoon Vine. That's what I'm talking about!! Thanks Jim!!

Omar

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA, Patty, it takes a lot but I can get there if pushed real hard, lol

I didn't get the mean and mad, you were concentrating, lol

Okay, I might share with him since he is feeling puny, lol

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHAHA, I'm almost to the point of laughing at the person for trying to make me feel uncomfortable but I mostly still feel sorry for her

Omar, you got your vine? Wasn't that a nice surprise?

• carrie751
    14 years ago

If we ever get where we cannot laugh with each other, the plants won't like us anymore. So, joke away, my friends, it puts a smile on my face, and that makes MY plants happy.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Most of us have joked around for quite a few years on this forum.

Isn't that cyber bullying?

""In effect since Sept. 1, a new cyber-bullying law makes harassment online or through social networking a third-degree felony.""

Do you know who this person is? Or is she hiding behind a key board? I am not asking you to say who, just wondered if you knew.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Do I know positively, no
    I sent all of the emails in and hopefully they will get her
    She tried to make up an email addy with a name of someone we both know but Time Warner said that carrier is not in the area I told them she lives in. So I now know for sure it is a liar

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Isn't it a shame that someone lives such a pitiful life.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

It is pitiful, life can be too much fun to be like that
    Speaking of, I have all of my plants in the ground or soil and everything looks so good. I can't wait till Spring
    Thank everyone for the great plants

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

You have nothing left to plant? Humm
    Jim

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It rained so much yesterday and last night, I could almost go water skiing.

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

Yes, Jolana.I already received my vine. That was very nice of Jim, indeed.

Omar
    PS: zig-zag, zig-zag, zig-zag, zig..........

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Let's go skiing, lol
    Kathy, Dh extended the front porch last year, now the rain collects on the south side and it is a lake also, lol

Jim, don't send any plants....please.

Omar, you need rehab, LOL

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Jim, I had to go to Austin today and on the way, my dd went a different route than I usually go and I saw a huge Rangoon on the way back. We are further south & east, a little, lol
    So, I feel so much better about it now
    Thank you for it, since it is mine now, lol

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

That's great news, Jolana. Give it some room. The bigger it gets, the more it blooms. At 28deg., mine doesn't even loose it's leaves.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Jim, does your Ragoon creeper reliably bloom in the fall?

Mine is covered with flower buds and it already bloomed earlier this year. As you all know, sometimes plants are so stressed by the heat they think they've 'died and gone to heaven' with rains and cooler temps after a hard summer and so they start happily blooming again.

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Roselee, mine hasn't stopped blooming since it first started in the spring. It has never been stressed by drought because I water frequently. Now that said, I just removed another one that would bloom in the spring, then spend the rest of the summer and fall making seed, and never bloom again. I even deadheaded it this year, and still no more blooms. The one I kept, sets a few seeds, but doesn't stop blooming. After removing the other one I'll probably never get seeds again. I've never heard of anyone with only one getting seeds.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

"mine hasn't stopped blooming since it first started in the spring." Wow -- I hope I have the ever blooming one -- and it must be since it didn't set seed and is blooming again. Maybe when I move half of it (it is in two clumps) to a more sunny location it will bloom even more, like yours does. I'm inspired! Thanks!

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

The Rangoons in South America prefer shade at the base of the plant and sun at the top. Just like Clematis.

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Thank you for the tip Omar. Will keep that in mind when I move it.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz