Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Scenes from today's early morning stroll ...

Most of us love the early morning stroll through the gardens. Will you join me in the sights seen on mine this morning?

Is there any wonder why they call it Ruby crystal grass? Baja fairy duster behind it adds to the sparkle. It's an annual, but always manages to reseed on its own ...

Mirror mosiac 'lamp' passed along by a friend. See the bottles on the left? ...

Bob bent the prongs on an old plate holder to hold the green bottles ...

'Madonna' cactus from Tally has grown a lot and has two flower buds ...

Love how the coral vine and bougainvillea have intertwined ...

Back patio with old chairs passed along by my next door neighbor and newly painted ...

A tiny piece of Tradescantia sillamontana or "hairy wandering jew' was collected from a west side filling station years ago and it's my favorite tradescantia. I'll bring cuttings to the upcoming SAPS ...

This area has been revamped to take the blasting all day sun. I want y'all to know it was a lot of work for these old bones ... LOL

The garden elves are smart. They stay in the shade ...

... and some of them guard the shady areas. Can you see him -- while ignoring the unintended selfie in the mirror? hahaha And thanks to Sunny Irene he's not the only one that patrols the garden at night ...

Ah, is this weather wonderful or what? Would love to join you on your cool morning strolls...

Comments (14)

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

I love them all! Each photo is so stunning and a work of art. Love your full Sun zone. How did you build those standing planters for the aloes? I too love the coral vine and the bougie....going back to look again....cynthia

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, thank you so much! The planters used to be sold at Malcolm Beck's Garden-Ville, a natural soil and compost center here. He had a guy make them by stapling wood to galvenized metal sheets in 9 ft lengths. I wish they were still available. He had a lot of neat stuff at his place.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I got a kick out of your selfie peeking around the corner. I'm amazed that your plumbago does so well with so little water. Is it in full sun? I'm also amazed that you have so much growing in planters. I've just about given up on planters because they are so water needy.

Do you know the scientific name of the Madonna cactus? Typing "Madonna cactus" in google just brings up Madonna the singer.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 14:43

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your pictures, Roselee. A single sprig of hairy wandering Jew might be easily overlooked. However, your plant is a different story. I wonder how many of us now have a new appreciation for it after seeing your specimen.

I can see your garden elf has been taking excellent care of the fruit cocktail shrimp plant too - it so healthy and lush looking.

Love your clever idea for re-purposing the plate rack! - June

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marti and Juneroses thank YOU for take the time to look and comment.

So sorry to mislead you about the name of the cactus which Tally passed along. Last year I posted photos in which it looked like a praying Madona so I've called it that ever since.

The plumbago by the driveway gets a lot of sun from the West. It's water needs are low and it has needed even less water this year since we've had several little showers and the rain runs across the driveway to where it planted itself.

One reason a lot of pots are used is that it is NOT easy to dig a hole in this hard and rocky ground. Water absorbing crystals in the potting soil for the more thirsty plants helps hold the water longer. Also large holes are drilled in the bottom of pots so the roots can go out the bottom and still make use of any water that has escaped from the pot.

For me it seems that pots require less water volume wise, because it is concentrated in the pots. Recently I'm using more desert plants in the pots that need very little water.

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 22:02

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Wow, your garden looks more beautiful than ever and I never think that is possible but you prove me wrong with every new pic!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jolana.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

R -- If you find some glass plates, you could still put them in the rack with the bottles to add more color and take up the empty spaces. I'm thinking cobalt blue or a pretty red! I'll start looking for some at thrift shops for ya !!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, that is a FANTASTIC idea that never crossed my mind even though I realized the rack needed a little more color. And thank you again for being my personal shopper!

The 'Madonna' cactus bloomed last night. I suddenly remembered to go out and look at about 11:00 PM and it is still open this morning. It is a huge bloom and so magical looking in its complexity.

We are getting rain as I write!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is with darling bird plates I already had. I was so intent on using the bottles I forgot all about it being a plate hanger.

If anyone else has any tips about the yard -- either about plants or decor, please say so. I'm all ears ... :-)

• dcarpenter
    9 years ago

Pretty! I never would have thought about the plates either! Good idea.

Darlene

• violetwest
    9 years ago

holy smoley, I'm in awe. Should have frequented this forum before!

(looking out my window in sadness and envy . . . )

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 11:23

• rcnaylor
    9 years ago

Lovely as always roselee!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for looking and for commenting. My hope is to inspire people to do things in their own gardens, different things that maybe nobody else thought of doing, just a little creative thing that pleases you when you look at it, or just being appreciative when you look at how the light shines around a certain plant ...

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area