Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Now why couldn't they have done this a week ago?

The sign speaks of the usual excuse for how the garden looks ....

But there oughta' be a sign that says:

"My garden will be much better two weeks from now. Please come back!"

Why couldn't the path to the side gate have been this colorful when folks from the plant swap came to visit?

Or Climbing Pinkie been doing her thing with the purple bird cage when the camera crew from Central Texas Gardener was here?

Snow Queen hibiscus could have at least produced one bloom to go with her gorgeous leaves.

Did Miss Rosa Sweet Nothings show off her incredible color and fragrance when somebody was here to see it? Noooo ...

Mr. Toad lily had started his bloom cycle when people were here, but there are twice as many show off 'come closer to look at me because I'm most unusual' flowers the week after ...

Even though Miss Blue orchid vine is hard to photograph she could have opened a few blooms to strut her stuff in person ...

Mr. Bunny tail grass was having a bad hair day due the rain drizzles and wasn't out waving to folks at the front curb when there were people to greet, but just look at him now ...

The roses didn't have much of a chance since I had cut off their chilli thrips damaged buds, but the bougies could have started their next flush sooner ...

Why didn't I find the garage sale pots to start the succulent garden in this area a week before. Well for one thing I wouldn't have had the succulents that I got at the swap to put in them! Thanks everybody ... :-)

But one thing I could NOT wish for is a sweeter 'Mulch Guy'. Bob leaves in the early morning three times a week to entertain nursing home residents with music from his trumpet ...

Of course the complaints are made in jest. The truth is flowers will bloom when they get ready to and I let them ... LOL

Happy gardening everyone!

Comments (11)

• ruthz
    11 years ago

Thanks for letting us stroll thru your beautiful yard, and what a wonderful, unselfish thing to do, entertaining nursing home residents 3 times a week.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ruth. Glad you enjoyed the stroll :-)

What Bob does is not entirely unselfish since he enjoys it so much. He loves to see the faces light up when the music starts and he always goes around the gives everybody a hug when it's over. There is a keyboard guy and a 93 year old singer who is a resident at one of the homes that go too. While the other band members are doing their thing Bob dances with those in wheel chairs by taking their hands while he does a little jig. They love it.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Roselee, don't you know by now that plants are like our children?................they never do for others what they do for us. It is truly looking beautiful, and I hope you are able to rid your garden of those bad bugs so you can keep all that you want to.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

That's absolutely gorgeous, Roselee!

But you know that the reason it wasn't at its peak for the garden swap folks, is so they have a reason to come back!

Tell your husband that I think he's very special to brighten up the old folks' lives.

Lin

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carrie, isn't that the truth! And yes, it seems those bad little bugs are putting a hitch in my garden get-a-long, but there's a reason and a season for everything. In the final analysis it's all good!

Lin, thanks so much. I think you're right. "Hey y'all -- you can come back now." :-) Besides, I didn't get to talk to everyone as much as I wanted to. And I'll tell Bob what you all said. Thanks ...

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Your garden looked beautiful to me, it's hard to imagine it looks so much better now.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

The photos are all beautiful and, yes, we always feel the garden is never at its peak when we have visitors; however, if everything "peaked" at one time, the adventure would end, right?
    Molly

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Shirley and Molly.

Molly, you're absolutely right, but still - we can dream can't we? :-)

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

You are a garden artist, I believe if my yard-garden looked that nice I just might find it hard to ever be inside. Thank you for you wonderful photos.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Wally! I appreciate your comments. I do find it hard to ever be inside, but only because I love being outdoors, even when it's hot. But cold weather does a little better at keeping me inside.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden! And what a wonderful man. May he have many blessings in return. Lou