Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

September and October pretties

Lynn Marie
10 years ago

By posting pics here, I've noticed that September is definitely a down month in my yard. AND I had back surgery so I can't plant all the pansies I usually plant this time of year. But here goes in no particular order...

I freaking love spider lilies!

From Around the yard and garden

Tired of them yet? They're almost finished blooming!

This bloomed until it flopped over!

My pitiful vegetable garden finally produced a little.

These were taken today. I couldn't bend over to get the pic, so my mom snapped it for me. Crocus? In October?

But wait! There's more!

Now you can see what a disappointment my garden is. And a couple of the stray cats we feed. They don't bother the plants and only do their business in one spot, so I don't worry about them. By the way, since I've been laid up, this is the view out my bedroom window that I see every singe day!

Seed pods on the evergreen wisteria.

These (whatever they are) stayed green all summer, so I'd hoped for a whole lot of blooms this fall. Here's one.

Don't know if this video of the pond will upload or not. But I'll try. I got all the components at this really cool place in Garland whose name I can't remember.

Butterfly on zinnia

This is really pitiful if you could see the whole plant. I'm lucky to get these few blooms.

Comments (13)

• Vulture61
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for posting, Lynn. Your plants look great! I think the white flower plant is a type of rain lily (Zephiranthes?) and the purple flower is an African daisy (Osteospermum?). However, what I like the most about your garden is your pond. It looks "squickly" clean. I know that is not the most natural look but I love it.

Omar

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Love those spider lilies and the pond. Your photos are beautiful. The stripes in the 'daisy' are striking. Thanks for the post.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! My husband and son had just cleaned the pond last weekend. It was a LOT more natural (algae) looking before! I prefer clean to green! The yellow and orange zinnias are all gone. Today, for our anniversary, DH bought me $100 worth of pansies and potting soil from Calloways. It absolutely KILLS me to pull up healthy zinnias to make room for the pansies. Then in April it will kill me to pull up healthy pansies to make room for the zinnias! Annual! UGH! But they all would have died in a month anyway, right?

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

It all looks great! I had an African daisy survive for 2 or 3 years. But we have not had a killing freeze in several years.
    Now for my unsolicited advice on your back rehab. Any time you are standing in the kitchen or bath room open a cabinet and put one foot on the lower shelf. This relieves the stress on your back. Any other time you have to stand for a while hold on to something for balance and put one foot on top of the other. Do not push yourself too fast. Believe it or not you will be able to bend again.
    I have had back surgery 3 times.

Kathy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Your flowers are beautiful and your pond video turned out great.

Kathy, those are good tips for the back that I never knew. One very helpful bit of information that my chiropracter told me was that if standing in line for a long time try to lean on the wall.

Lynnmarie, thanks again for the eye candy.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the back advice! Today isn't one of my better days, so I'm stuck in bed all day. Oh well, what else was I going to do in the rain, right!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Love all the pictures

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Your blooms are just gorgeous! I hope that you are back to yourself and feeling better soon!

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your garden photos and good luck as your recovery continues. I had back surgery in 2009 and had excellent results.
    Molly

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures of your flowers. Thanks for posting. I hope you recovery goes well. After I had back surgery, I would walk the pathways in the garden with a plant stake, pointing out weeds, and my wife would pull them up. That didn't last but a couple of weeks.

Jim

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Ops, double post.

This post was edited by bossjim1 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 0:06

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I just love lycoris, they are popping up and blooming here too.
    The last one, what is the name, cal...anyway, mine look just as bad. They usually start to look a bit better as the weather cools, I cut them back and in the spring they are gorgeous, then, straggly, few blooms,look dead.

Tally Ho!

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody. I'm not 100% yet, but hopefully with PT I'll get there. Have to go back to work Monday. I tried pointing out weeds to my son, but it was hopeless, so I bought a weed pulling tool from amazon.com. It works like a charm and is fun to use. Now I get excited when I see weeds! I also got my DH and son to plant pansies for me. Some of the baskets are really coming in nicely.