Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Daisies Like Crazy!

I could never get shasta daisies to grow well, but these, well -- they're another story ...

These are mums that someone shared with me at a swap about two years ago. I wish I knew who so I could thank them! I think they may be "Country Girl". Anybody know for sure? They have a long fall blooming season ...

I love volunteers like this Celosia spicata 'Flamingo Feather' ...

Even if I have to hold them up while Bob mows under them ...

I've been working HARD since the swap! Dug out the solid green hedge of tall red shrimp (which don't bloom until very late in the season IF they freeze back) from the brick wall bed to have a place to put all the wonderful succulents, etc. I received. The big "finger leaf philo" from Mizan inspired the beginnings of this new area, but it's not near finished yet ...

Ms. Voodoo lily is back doing her thing. Stately, elegant and very sure of herself she offers no apologies for her perfume ...

Here she is backlit. At this point she is no longer releasing her scent ...

I'm wondering what would cause this rippling effect on Agave "green goblet" ? ...

Whatever it is it IS interesting. I have pups from this guy if anyone wants one ...

I'm still playing around with the new bed. Yesterday I stacked the pumpkin pots and planted with 'petite point' ivy, which is hardy and takes dry conditions ...

So what's happening with your garden and swap plants? Come to think of it, all the featured plants above were pass alongs. I so appreciate the generosity of gardeners!

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 16:59

Comments (13)

• mamachile
    9 years ago

Hello Ragna,
    Your garden is an inspiration indeed. And all those happy plants dancing in the breeze. That corner you have been working on looks fabulous. oh That big agave looks majestically incharged of everyone there. Well done Ragna. Nice one!

• abarbie4me2
    9 years ago

Always love looking at your pics!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you "Mamachile" Mizan and Abarbie for looking and commenting. I get inspired looking at other people's photos so hope to return the favor.

I am enjoying working on the new area in this wonderful cool weather, but I'm already looking forward to next year when the ornamental trees I planted will be bigger. I read a comment somewhere that everyone always thinks their garden will be better next year. That includes me ... LOL

• loreleicomal
    9 years ago

Love the stacked pots!

• denisew
    9 years ago

You always have the best garden photos. I am surprised to see your daisies blooming in the fall. I have a Shasta daisy that has a long bloom period - almost through to the end of August, but not this late.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

My shasta daisies only bloom in spring. What is your secret to getting them to bloom now? They are just beautiful. Oh wait, I just reread what you wrote. Those aren't Shasta daisies. That makes me feel better, except my Shastas never look that good either.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 22:07

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Denise and Marti. Right Marti, they aren't daisies at all but look-a-like mums and so easy to grow. They have a pink cast when first open, but quickly fade to white. I so appreciate having them. Whoever passed them along - thank you! I should probably try to root some for the spring swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: They might be these ....

• lesli8
    9 years ago

awesome photos, Roselee! I'd like to have one of those agave pups, if you have any left to spare. Perhaps some of the daisy's too. We need to go see Aunt Minnie again. Wonder what she has decided to turn loose of now?

Great seeing your garden photos!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for looking and commenting.

Lesli, the rippled agave has young pups. I've noticed that at least one other small A. "green goblet" is rippled. I'm presuming it was one removed from the plant above and not the mother plant, which is no longer alive. It was fairly large and died a slow summer long death when I transplanting it from a pot to the ground ... oh well.

Did you see this that BossyVossy posted on the main forum?

A visit to Aunt Minnie's nursery would be fun, especially IF she is really selling down her inventory ... :-) Let us know if you find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellville variety ....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of you may remember this post on "Aunt" Minnie's nursery, but for those that do not here it is. If you are in the vicinity you may want to check it out. I got a lot of neat things from her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minnie Albert's nursery ...

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Ragna, I have the Country Girl, so maybe you got them from me ?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, that's very possible! Do these look like yours?

This was several years ago, but I seem to remember someone I didn't know handing them to me and telling me they were mums. They were not labeled and you usually label your swap plants. IF it was someone else they could have gotten them from you!

Not knowing what they looked like I didn't even plant them out for a year or two, but I sure am glad I finally did ... :-)

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

They DO look like mine (if they're still alive) and were called Country Girl. I've had them a looong time. So, you could have gotten them from me, or we got them from the same person. I cannot recall anymore who I got mine from. But aren't they great !?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner